Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
12v/ac tv or just ac w inverter

I've researched a bit but dont really know the pro's and con's.
Thoughts from anyone?
Thanks
Mike
mmenchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
You probably have a lot more selection with a 120v TV. Since a 12v unit would be a "specialty" item, it might not even be that much more expensive to buy 120v TV+an inverter. This is just opinion, though, I haven't done the research.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If you don't have ac, the use of an inverter will use some power for its own operation, as well as the dc needed to run the tv. You only have so much available in your batteries. A dc tv (and it must be a 12vdc tv), will use only the power needed to run the tv. The advantage is your battery will last at least somewhat longer.

The 12vdc tv's are getting hard to find. RV dealers have them but they are way over-priced. We found a 19" Insignia tv at Best Buy this year that came with an ac "brick" converter. We found a dc cable that fits and it works fine, excellent picture and sound, and is light and thin, and is relatively efficient.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmenchel View Post
I've researched a bit but dont really know the pro's and con's.
Thoughts from anyone?
Thanks
Mike
An AC that operates on 120 volts AC, is the best choice.

However, if you want to run it from an inverter, you can do that too.

But, you will need a Peterbilt truck to carry around all the batteries you will need, if you want to operate the AC that way.

"One" large capacity 12 volt heavy duty battery will run that AC for about 10 to 15 minutes, assuming no other drain. That's 4 batteries per hour, and 48 batteries for 12 hours.

Then the next question is "how will you recharge those batteries".

From a generator? If so, use the gen to run the AC.

Bottom line, don't go there.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
After reading this thread, I don't know if I'm sitting or standing. Is the thread about television or air conditioning or is it about air conditioned television? Or what the heck is it about?

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I think Mike is talking about a television that runs on 12v DC vs one that runs on 120v AC.

Don't think air conditioning is the subject.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
or perhaps

we are talking about a Toyota Matrix tow vehicle with both 12V and Alternating Current... better be a very small AS
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Monument , Colorado
I run a 19", 120 v flat panel with a separate battery and 750 watt inverter. The additional battery keeps the ONE house battery fresh for lighting needs. I located the other in the street side rear compartment (Prior battery charger compartment) and wired to an inverter behind the TV. A 750 watt inverter works well for the TV and portable DVD player. I can watch an entire 2.5 hr. movie and deplete the battery about .2 amps. We have a 15 watt solar panel that charges it back up during the day. Hope this helps.
seeflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Mike,

This being the television board I'm assuming we're talking about televisions and not about tow vehicles or air conditioners.

In general it matters less than it used to. The inverters are now very good, and inexpensive, and with a smaller television you can probably get away with one of those $50 inverters that just plugs into a 12 v cigar-lighter type outlet.

However, there are also many small TVs that run on 12v. They are sold as regular household TVs with a "wall wart" or "brick" type of power supply. Search the archives for model numbers or just look around at a store.

I hardly ever use my television. It is the 120v type, which is what Airstream was shipping with new trailers last year.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I went through this last year. Wound up buying a Polaroid (??!!) 19" flat panel TV from Overstock.com, or one of those places. It was supposed to be "factory reconditioned" which I take to be a term for "it broke, was returned, and factory fixed it." First two I got didn't work (DVD player was not working right), so apparently was not ACTUALLY "reconditioned." Third one was the charm, and appeared to be brand new. Polaroid is now apparently out of that business, so they're hard to find. Have to look around - maybe on eBay or some such.

It's a 19" Hi-Def with a built-in DVD player; I wanted the DVD player to make it simple to watch movies without having to run them on my laptop computer ... it is a native 12volt design, and comes with a largish converter to run it off of 120 VAC. Toshiba made such units for a while also, but like Polaroid, stopped. Couple of trips to Radio Shack and I'd built a power cord that plugs into one of the Airstream's 12volt outlets. The TV works fine this way. It consumes a max of 55Watts, which at 12v is just under 5 amps. That is negligible, and I can watch movies all evening and only use 20-30 amp hours: the solar panels make that up in nothing flat the next morning. Has a bunch of inputs (including HDMI) so my HiDef video cam and my laptop comptuer both work well as input sources. Also has card slots to take common camera cards such as SD, etc. - nice for looking at a day's photos or movie shots. Weighs nothing (maybe six pounds?). Has good stereo outputs that feed into the AirStream's stereo system. I don't watch much TV, but have found that in most places it will pick up 10-15 digital channels using the batwing antenna on the roof ... though it seems to take forever (like perhaps ten minutes) to do a search for stations when I do a new setup with it. Cost maybe $150

Highly recommended. Hard to find native 12volt designs in stores today, but perhaps possible if you're diligent. Good luck.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmenchel View Post
...Thoughts from anyone?...
the argument/features boasted by some of the 12v direct teles are these...

--reinforced cabinet structure and mounting points are designed to withstand the shock and vibration encountered while out on the road

--conformal coated circuit boards protect against corrosion, humidity, heat/cold

IF those things are important or one expects to use the tele out doors or in harsh conditions,

look to the makers of marine grade picture boxes...

we've covered this many times and in almost all of the threads these 2 related brands are mentioned...

LCD specifically 4 rvs n boats...

past threads on the topic...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...20v-63034.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...-tv-58342.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-t-v-2443.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Stuarts Draft , Virginia
Mike,
This is the route I took for running my 19" LCD/DVD TV with an inverter. Stanley makes a 100W silent (Fanless) inverter for 22 dollars. I love it and here's the Amazon link. The biggest draw back to these inverters is the noisy fan and Stanley had found a way to cool their unit with out the fan. Mountanman1

Amazon.com: Stanley PC1A09 100 Watt Power Inverter with USB Power Outlet: Automotive
mountainman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Inverters

Depending on what you may want the inverter to power, the output frequency and sine wave, is very important.

A poor sine wave output will have little effect on some things, and a major serious effect on others.

Some things will not run at all, unless the 120 volts AC, has a very good sine wave, and is very close to 60 cycles.

As an example, we tested an inverter with our office microwave. When plgged into city power, that microwave would boil a cup of water in 90 seconds.

The inverter we tested was rated at 2000 watts. We fed it with plenty of 12 volts DC, that was monitored, just to make sure.

After 15 minutes at 100 percent power, when plugged into the expensive inverter, we removed the cup of water from the microwave, since we could see "no action".

We then were able to stick our fingers in the water, that at "best" was slightly luke warm.

This more than proved that just because an inverter had plenty of watts available at 120 volts AC, it does not mean it has a proper "sine wave" output.

Without a very good sine wave output, an inverter can be a waste of time and money, if the load requires a good sine wave.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
12 volt audio/video

12 volt televisions have been available for awhile now and work great. Please "google" 12 volt tv, and you will find a great selection at the same price as a 120 volt unit with the same features. I have done my research by asking truck drivers and my experience in the marine industry related to 12 volt systems. Using an inverter can be done but it is not the most efficient use of your batteries. Please compare current draw both ways, inverter + tv vs tv.

Just my two cents.

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
hey forgive me for all the confusion and I'm sure it's my inexperience that causes it! I am talking about televisions and I am talking about AC aka to me as shore power. Right?
I'm going with a 12v televison/dvd running off my 1 marine deep cycle battery. For me...the battery only runs a light or 2 at night like the scare light, the heater for short spurts and the television. I'll use a portable small solar panel to recharge in the morning. I'm not much of a tv watcher either but I do like to catch up on the news when I would be boondocking just to see if my city has been destroyed some way or another but knowing that I am fine and absolutely enjoying the wilderness in my 22ft 1962 safari airstream..!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
are you all receiving my replies which in most cases are thank you's for all the advice?
If some one reads this can you tell me if I am doing this properly?
Thanks
Mike
Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Mike

You are coming in loud and clear.
I bought a 22" Vizio TV from Sam's club recently that runs on 12v or plugs into a 120v ac outlet. It has all the latest stuff- 1080p, 2 hmdi, LED back lighting, thin, light and very efficient (39 watts, 3.3 amps). It cost $248.
Whether I am boondocking or plugged into shore power, I run it off of 12v.

Mountainman

Thanks for the info about the fanless inverter. I would think that this would make it more efficient also since it does not need to run a fan.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I have used small inverters that create "noise" on a tv screen, so be sure you are getting a good quality one. Better to go 12 VDC tv if possible.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
so I'm going 12v DC. I want to set it up on the platform above the refridge. My understanding is that alll the outlets are ac for shore power. There is a 2 hole round plug there as well but I understand that is for the antenna. Its a flat wire in back going into the skin. I will have to replace that w co axial wire for the HDTV antenna when I put the television in. Is there an easy way to get the 12v power and ground wires over to that area. Battery compartment is on street side and platform is on curb/door side. Think I can just tap into 12v fan overhead and run short wires down?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
mmenchel,

I wouldn't do that, you can pull wiring in the center ceiling panel space from the converter. I did that for my refrigerator conversion, I use a marine refer it runs on 12v or 120v and doesn't have to be level to work. I would pull a new wire, remember to fuse the new circuit.

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v