Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Appliance Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Satellite Beach , Florida
Painting all interior surfaces

We just purchased our first AS, a 1979 31' Sovereign this past week and are about to begin updating her. The interior surfaces are terribly sticky and yellowed, and we want to paint it all - walls and cabinets - white. The cabinets seem to be some sort of wood look veneer over plywood. The tall panel that runs floor to ceiling next to the fridge is peeling, as well as a few other places. The "wallpaper" int eh shower is also peeling at the top. I have read several threads on here regarding recommendations for different products to prep, prime and paint, but there doesn't seem to be any clear recommendation as most have painted over something existing or didn't have stellar results. Can anyone recommend a method and/or products that are tried and true? We plan to keep this AS for well over 15 years until we become empty nesters and want to make sure our finishes hold up - we want to do it right the first (and hopefully only) time.

The gentleman at Lowe's in the paint department recommended cleaning with TSP, priming with BIN, and then painting with whatever paint we wanted. I'm still nervous about the plastic surfaces though, especially the trim on the edges of the cabinets. I was thinking oil based paint, but want to confirm those recommendations with someone who's been there and done it before we start. Don't want any regrets.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. We're really excited about getting her updated and on the road - hopefully by the time school lets out for summer!

Sue
suzuz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I vote for a through cleaning, at least twice, and a good OIL BASE paint like Rustoleum or a catalyzed paint like Imron 3500HG.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
My advice is go to a specialty paint store like Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams and talk to them! My current favorite primer is http://www.insl-x.com/product-detail...bonding-primer. I primed all my bare metal and fiberglass endcaps with it and after it cured I couldn't even scratch it off the aluminum ( which is a "hard to paint" surface) . Can be then over coated with just about anything.

My experience with this paint is in post 593 here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ml#post1645310
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Demorest , Georgia
We cleaned our 1969 Overlander wall and cabinets with TSP and then painted all interior with Valspar semi gloss paint with primer and it turned out wonderful and so much cleaner looking. I will try to attach pictures. Have fun with your renovation.
mtnramblers is offline   Reply With Quote