Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Summit , Mississippi
Inverter/Battery

I have a 1970 Model TT, 27', rear bathroom, Overlander International. My univolt is the original unit. I'm looking to upgrade with a current univolt model and replace the battery at the same time. My largest electric power consumers are a microwave oven and 2 small ceramic disc type heaters. I would like to have enough upgrade to handle these 3 items when running simultaneously.

Does anyone have suggestions for a converter & battery, & installation advice? My current original univolt is mounted in the right rear outside storage compartment in the back portion of the compartment. You can see the compartment in my signature pic just to the right of my right shoulder

Thanks in advance.
SummitAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Your trailer did not come with an inverter and the storage compartment might be where the battery was originally located.

Are you wanting to run a microwave and two electric heaters when not attached to shore power? That would be the function of an inverter and to do that you would need a big one with a lot of battery to supply power to it.

Are you asking about a converter to charge the battery and provide 12 volts to the trailer?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Summit , Mississippi
"Are you asking about a converter to charge the battery and provide 12 volts to the trailer?"

Yes.

I corrected my original post. I do not want to run these items when not connected to shore power and I mistakenly asked about an inverter.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Perfect! Glad we got that cleared up.

The Microwave and Ceramic Heaters run off of AC power and would function on shore power even if you did not have a converter. You would be limited to 30 amps max usage at one time, but that would be the only limiting factor.

If you add up the amp rating of all of your items and it is under 30 you should be OK. However, the draw of the microwave, 2 heaters and the convertor might draw a bit too much. Turning off the heaters when the microwave is in use should solve that problem.

As far as what convertor, I can only speak from my experience. I installed a PD 9245 convertor 5 years ago and have been very pleased with it's operation. It was one of the best upgrades I have done on my 75 Trade Wind. No more hummmmmm and no concerns about cooking the battery. There are several other converters available that others have installed with the same results as well.

Richard

Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Summit , Mississippi
Thanks!!! Did you also install a separate fuse panel and shunt? My original univolt has the built-in fuse panel and I don't see a shunt. Do you like the remote pendant and what type indication does it give you? Also, what battery would you recommend? I have looked at the bestconverter.com site and it appears I will need to go this route.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My fuse panel was separate which made the install very simple. Others with an attached panel have either separated the panel from the old converter and used it again, removed the guts from the old converter and installed the new (smaller) converter in it's place and reused the fuse panel or bought and installed a new fuse panel. Each option has it's advantages and disadvantages. If mine had been attached, I would have most likely replaced the panel with a new one.

I have one Group 27 Lifeline AGM battery in my Trade Wind. It has given me 5+ years of outstanding service. It is one of the best batteries available and it's only downside is the cost.

Richard