Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
fort smith , Arkansas
converter which one

I went to the Best Converter web site as suggested by Mexray. There are two converters, a 45amp and a 55amp, which one do I need. Also do I need a volt minder?

Robert
bmarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Marley45,

I replaced our converter recently with a 55 amp converter kit from BC.

If I were you, I'd speak directly with (Randy?) at BC. The thing you need to consider is the original wiring gauge going to the converter, and going from the converter to your battery(s).

As far as a volt minder, I just have a voltage gauge plugged into one of our outlets so that I can keep an eye on voltage fluctuations, which actually fried my old converter!!!

Either way discuss your set-up. I found him most helpful in making my decision.

Jonathan
Old 07-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I'm with Jonathan - Randy @ Best is the one to talk too - he steered me in the right direction when I replaced the old Univolt...

I recently added the Voltminder that they sell - it has an adjustable low voltage alarm that you can set to warn you when your battery charge level (voltage) is becoming low, so you can 'shut er' down' or go out and fire up the trusty red Honda Genny...

I opted for the 45 amp converter/charger, as we had only the two batteries...I've since added another battery, and now wish I'd gone with the 55 amp unit - However, the 45 amp unit seems up to the job of recharging our batteries in reasonable time when we're out in the boonies...

We've gone to all LED lights in our AS, inside and out, so the 'lighting' load isn't all that bad, and we're really only recharging the batteries for the use of the Sat TV or DVD at night, the fantastic fans when it's warm, and the water pump upon occasion...

I've found a long time ago, that it's best to fire up the Genny for a short period EVERY day when you're off the grid, to insure the batteries don't get to low - it you let em' go too long and get discharged completely, you'll find you need hours and hours to get em' back up to snuff...a little charge a day is best...

Enjoy...
Ray
Old 07-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I would suggest speaking with Randy at Best Converters. At his suggestion I bought the 55 amp, Iota. You have a couple of choices on monitoring the condition of your batteries. The cheapest is a volt meter, Randy has a good one. The other is a battery monitor, with will actually read the amps. These require installation of a special device, a shunt, in the line and they are really expensive, but if you want the best. I would also highly recommend a book that Randy sells titles "Managing 12 Volts", by Harold Barre. Every boat or RV owner needs it in their library. It is the most complete source of info on batteries and everything 12 volt that you will find.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote