Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Where did you find one with a longer shaft? Can you tell I'm replacing lens covers too?

Aage
Inland RV or Vintage Trailer supply.

BTW, you can take the old switches apart, clean the contacts and resurrect them.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:28 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Williston , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

Wow, so maybe what happened was that there was a short in the original switch that was somehow cutting out the bath lights! I'm going up to the camp today, so I will certainly have a close look at it, and take along some CAIG DeOxit switch cleaner with me (it's great stuff).

That switch isn't a simple one though, is it? I mean, it turns on the 6 lamps in banks of two, so it's a four-position unit: OFF, 2,4,6 lamps.

Where did you find one with a longer shaft? Can you tell I'm replacing lens covers too?
Cheers,
Aage
I don't think that it was the switch that was bad but rather the act of undoing and retightening the wire nut connections. Conveinient source for switch is Vintage trailer supply http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Airstream_Rotary_Switch_p/vts-432.htm

Light covers at Inland RV supply Inland RV Center Inc.
afn10694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I was able to get my univolt out and replace it with the Intellipower. Back screws were a son of a gun to get out. I used the old fuse panel and mounted it to a piece of angle iron. Nice not to have the "buzz" anymore.

Hey, afn10694, I just realized you are just down the road from me!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
BTW, you can take the old switches apart, clean the contacts and resurrect them.
Hmmm(n)... Looked at the switch and the only way to open it is to drill out the rivets. That's fine, but I don't have any rivets that small, nor any at all with me.

I do a lot of work on radios and old hifi stuff, and CAIG is THE stuff for old corroded controls, but usually those controls have some kind of opening that the DeOxit can be shot into. Not so on the AS's pot in the light fixtures.

I think that the idea of undoing the wires in the wirenuts and re-doing them points to the fact that it's probably not a good idea to just wire-nut them together: they should be soldered. 35 years of exposure to air can't be good for those connections.

Next trip up here, I'm bringing my soldering iron!

The battle isn't over, it's just beginning!

Tags
univolt, intelli-power