Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2022, 03:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Questions on beefing up solar

Hey all. Want to add some solar power to my 2022 GT 25FB. Not ready to upgrade cabling just yet. I already have the two factory 90W panels and the Blue Solar 150/35 MPPT connected together by the factory 8 gauge cable (feeding the 200 ah lithium battery bank). My questions:

- Will adding the Zamp 115W panel take me over any prewiring limit?

- I don't see a solar disconnect or circuit breaker. Should I add one. If so, what specs?

Thanks for your help.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
will see what others advise, but I think what you propose is certainly reasonable. My 25' pre-wire was only 10ga and when I first put up my roof panels, I had a total of 300w through that. I have added another 180w of panels to my roof, and I pulled another pair of wires, and when I did that I pulled 8ga, so I have mine split now (300w incoming on the 8ga pair, and 180w incoming on the 10ga pair).

I definitely would add a cut-off switch (on-off switch) to your incoming solar panel feed, if you do not already have one. Ckt breaker might be more appropriate on the output side of your solar controller, between that and your batteries. I have one of each, but I put all that in myself. You want a way to remove that solar power (it's live whenever there is light) from your trailer circuits for several reasons, electrical maintenance being one of them. Unplugging the panels to achieve that is quite a pain in the neck.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
will see what others advise, but I think what you propose is certainly reasonable. My 25' pre-wire was only 10ga and when I first put up my roof panels, I had a total of 300w through that. I have added another 180w of panels to my roof, and I pulled another pair of wires, and when I did that I pulled 8ga, so I have mine split now (300w incoming on the 8ga pair, and 180w incoming on the 10ga pair).

I definitely would add a cut-off switch (on-off switch) to your incoming solar panel feed, if you do not already have one. Ckt breaker might be more appropriate on the output side of your solar controller, between that and your batteries. I have one of each, but I put all that in myself. You want a way to remove that solar power (it's live whenever there is light) from your trailer circuits for several reasons, electrical maintenance being one of them. Unplugging the panels to achieve that is quite a pain in the neck.
Thanks. On the switch, I’m confused by the specs. The one below seems fine on amps but seems low on voltage as it looks like one Zamp panel alone could put out 20 amps? Please help the electrical novice here!

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Disco...ps%2C41&sr=8-5
Old 07-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Thanks. On the switch, I’m confused by the specs. The one below seems fine on amps but seems low on voltage as it looks like one Zamp panel alone could put out 20 amps? Please help the electrical novice here!
Sorry. I meant to write ‘20 volts’ per panel. Could that Blue Sea switch handle 3 panels with those specs?
Old 07-22-2022, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Sorry. I meant to write ‘20 volts’ per panel. Could that Blue Sea switch handle 3 panels with those specs?
right, sorry I failed to mention about that ... if your panels are wired in parallel (means the current gets added, the voltage stays the same) then yes, that switch is good. If you wire your solar panels in series (I think this is not very common but it can be done this way), then the voltages would add up, and you would be above the rated voltage for that switch if you add more panels in the same controller circuit (portable or other). My solar panels are all wired in parallel.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
right, sorry I failed to mention about that ... if your panels are wired in parallel (means the current gets added, the voltage stays the same) then yes, that switch is good. If you wire your solar panels in series (I think this is not very common but it can be done this way), then the voltages would add up, and you would be above the rated voltage for that switch if you add more panels in the same controller circuit (portable or other). My solar panels are all wired in parallel.
Ok. Thanks. My panels are in parallel. Appreciate your help.