Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Propane - converted generators?

To avoid all of the issues related to transporting gasoline, I am wondering if a generator converted to run on propane might not be the way to go. Anyone had any experience with these? Sure would appreciate the help..... Here's a link to a potential source : Yamaha Propane and Natural Gas Generators

Thanks
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Converted our Honda 2000 three seasons ago.

It can run on lpg, about 22hrs on this tank, and gasoline.

This the outfit I got the conversion kit from.
Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas. Couldn't be more pleased with the outcome.

I had no problems at all with doing the conversion....BUT

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ded-46854.html
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
whats the little connection from the bottom of the genny over to the tank, a ground wire?
Old 05-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Yep...a braided copper gnd strap, but not attached to the tank.

Usually grounded with a 10in tent spike and washer, may not really do anything but it makes me feel better.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I was told by a Honda sales,man that the propane conversion does not work well in the higher altitudes, which is generally where we camp. He also said that propane produces lower btu's than gasoline. Not sure how this translates into usage, but just passing along the comments. I have not converted due to the altitude comment.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Don’t really mean to hijack, but a quick point.

From my layman’s understanding, unless you ground the trailer too you are creating a better chance of being shocked than would exist if the generator was left ungrounded.
Should a wiring fault occur in the trailer and the skin become hot, your body would provide the path to the ground you created by grounding only the generator. This could possibly happen when you touched the skin and stepped on the planet.
Again, this hazard would not exist if you ground the trailer to the same tent stake.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I have not converted due to the altitude comment.
The mixture is easily adjusted with a screw on the low pressure regulator.
The Honda "man" told me essentially the same thing, also that it would void the factory warranty, not a concern, the conversion was done after the warranty expired.

Not a hijack....I'm just skeered about anything I can feel but not SEE!!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
There are many threads on this. People are satisfied with the conversion in most cases.

There is a Yamaha dealer that will sell converted generators with a full warranty. I don't believe there's any such arrangement for Honda.

There is some slight loss of power output from the engine but no one has reported this to be a problem in practice.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
I have used my conversion at 6000' with no problem, even bought new jets for the carb for high alt, never used them.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Don’t really mean to hijack, but a quick point.

From my layman’s understanding, unless you ground the trailer too you are creating a better chance of being shocked than would exist if the generator was left ungrounded.
Should a wiring fault occur in the trailer and the skin become hot, your body would provide the path to the ground you created by grounding only the generator. This could possibly happen when you touched the skin and stepped on the planet.
Again, this hazard would not exist if you ground the trailer to the same tent stake.
Good practice. Back in a previous life when I was mobilizing a lot of electronic systems on a lot of different boats-of-opportunity, I learned that the best way to do it was to ground every electrical system to a common point, and ground that to the sea. Your observation is the same thing, basically. the 'lectricity will take the path of least resistance to ground. Holding on to the door handle of the aluminum trailer and stepping barefooted onto a soggy ground, for example, might be a good way to check your trailer grounding, ha ha.

hey, I think people freak out too much about shocks in the USA. I mean, I've had dozens and dozens (scores?) of 110 volt ac zaps, and it hasn't permanently affected me any affected me any affected me any affected me any
Old 05-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Gringo . . ..

you're so funny, you're so funny, you're so funny . . .

glad to have you on the forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Thanks to all for the very helpful advice and the link to the other thread that I did not find. I plan to go for it, but skip the do-it-yourself option, and get a professionally converted generator. Your help is much appreciated.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I was told by a Honda sales,man that the propane conversion does not work well in the higher altitudes, which is generally where we camp. He also said that propane produces lower btu's than gasoline. Not sure how this translates into usage, but just passing along the comments. I have not converted due to the altitude comment.
You can adjust for altitude.

Gasoline has 125,000 btu's per gallon, LP 91,600 btu's per gallon. So there is slight reduction in power output.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:53 AM   #14
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Is that liquid gallons, or gallons of vapor? It would be interesting to know if that makes a difference. I mean,if it takes 1 oz of liquid gasoline vaporized to fill the cylinder of an internal combustion engine with the ideal gasoline to air ratio for the best combustion, would it also take 1 oz of liquid propane to fill that cylinder with the ideal combustion ratio of propane to air?

I guess another way to look at it would be by weight. 20 lbs of gasoline would be 3.29 gallons, at 6.073 lbs. per US gallon .

How long will a generator run on 3.29 gallons of gasoline vs how long will it run on 20 lbs of propane, with the same electrical loads?

Don't mind me. I'm on the espresso this morning....
Old 05-20-2011, 05:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I've had a Yamaha 2400, that I bought converted, for about four years. I don't use it that often, but I've had no problems when I do. I added a flexible line with quick disconnects to the Airstream LP tanks and I use that for the generator and BBQ.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Is that liquid gallons, or gallons of vapor? It would be interesting to know if that makes a difference. I mean,if it takes 1 oz of liquid gasoline vaporized to fill the cylinder of an internal combustion engine with the ideal gasoline to air ratio for the best combustion, would it also take 1 oz of liquid propane to fill that cylinder with the ideal combustion ratio of propane to air?

I guess another way to look at it would be by weight. 20 lbs of gasoline would be 3.29 gallons, at 6.073 lbs. per US gallon .

How long will a generator run on 3.29 gallons of gasoline vs how long will it run on 20 lbs of propane, with the same electrical loads?

Don't mind me. I'm on the espresso this morning....

My numbers are based on liquid gallons...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote