Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Limited
Cornwall , Ontario
Onan Generator 2.8

The gen in my 1993 B190 has power to one side of the solenoid but will not crank the engine. Battery is fully charged.
I do not know where to look next and am no 12V expert by any means.
Any suggestions. I just bought this MH and was told gen did not START.
Thanks and God Bless Ken
Airstream 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 4 View Post
The gen in my 1993 B190 has power to one side of the solenoid but will not crank the engine. Battery is fully charged.
I do not know where to look next and am no 12V expert by any means.
Any suggestions. I just bought this MH and was told gen did not START.
Thanks and God Bless Ken
The solenoid does one thing only— it slides the gear on the starter to engage the flywheel. The starter motor still has to turn for anything to happen. So, not only do you need power to the solenoid, you need power to the starter motor as well.

If you HAVE power to the starter motor as well, then the next step is to remove the starter to test it on a bench. Which may lead to replacing it or getting the motor rewound.

While you're at it, you ought to pull the carburator and fuel filter— clean the carb and replace the filter. Once you've got the starter working, there could still be a problem if ethanol gasoline was left to sit in the filter and/or carburator bowl. Ethanol is hydrophilic, and attracts water from the water vapor in the air. Combined with phase separation of old fuel, you end up with gummed-up carb and/or filter. Since you don't know how long ago it was that the generator actually did work, it's a safe bet the gas in it has gone stale.

Also pull the spark plug and rotate the crankshaft by hand, if you can. This will ensure that the cylinder isn't full of stale fuel.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Limited
Cornwall , Ontario
Thumbs up Onan Generator

Thanks for your response. I would be very grateful if I could speak to this coming week end. I would need your Phone # Thanks.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 4 View Post
Thanks for your response. I would be very grateful if I could speak to this coming week end. I would need your Phone # Thanks.
Can't guarantee when I'll be available to talk on the phone, but feel free to PM me, and we'll work something out.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
bug

1974 Argosy 26
Dawsonville , Georgia
What size generator do I need to operate everything (including the A/C) on a Argosy 26 footer?
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Limited
Cornwall , Ontario
Generator

I have a 3100 watt Power Mate gen I got from Coast Distribution. It runs everything on a 34` AS. We did a lot of desert dry camping with no problems.
Ken
Old 10-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Limited
Cornwall , Ontario
Praise the Lord, I found the problem with the generator on my B190 AS. The fuse holder to run it was defective, replaced it and it now cranks and runs. Sounds easy but spent many hours scratching my head and testing before the problem was found.
Had to order new parts, not cheap.