Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #21

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypants View Post
Brian
When you say that you want to simplify the generator setup, I gotta ask what is so wrong about the 2 2000's? Are they difficult to lug around? I have always felt that the 2 2000's were the ultimate compromise between "roughing it" and convenience.
No, the 2000's are not that difficult to deal with. We've been doing it that way for the last five years. For most of that time we carried the two generators in the back of our Suburban tow vehicles. More recently we have introduced a new tow vehicle. Our current primary tow vehicle is a one ton Chevrolet long bed pick up with an Outfitter pop-up truck camper mounted in the bed. Now we carry one of the generators in the back seat of the truck, and the second one in a compartment on the right side of the truck camper. It's not too difficult to snatch it out of there, but it's not as easy as it used to be.

A generator rig something like wmarsha's is what we were thinking about. Our "boondocking" usually consists of whipping into a Wal-Mart parking lot or rest area around midnight, hitting the sack, and being back on the road first thing in the morning. It sure would be nice to just park, turn on the generator, and hit the sack in air conditioned comfort.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What about a 3000 handi? It's a lot lighter and smaller than a 3000... but of course it's pull start and just a tad noisier. Much less impact on the tongue if you go that way.

Easy to put in the bed of a truck and padlock down, then cover with a dirty cardboard box (preferably one that is labeled with some kind of feminine hygiene product to deflect the curious).

Paula
Old 11-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankO View Post
Man, I don't know? I guess it would be nice to have an on board generator, but one of the things I like about the AS is the beauty and streamline look. I enjoy stepping back and just admiring the sweeping lines and the aero dynamics of the whole package. I'm afraid that if I did this to my AS it would take on a whole different character. I guess if the modification could be hidden someway with a shroud to keep the beauty of the trailer intact I could live with it, but I don't think I could mess with the integrity of the unit by putting a big generator up front for all to see. I also wonder (if I sell her) if the next owner would appreciate my handy work.

HankO
Since we now pull Lucy with a truck camper rig, aerodynamic appearance is no longer an issue. Our youngest son says that we now look like part of a carny troop coming down the highway. He has asked when we are going to get a funnel cake machine and paint clowns and balloons
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 11-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankO View Post
Man, I don't know? I guess it would be nice to have an on board generator, but one of the things I like about the AS is the beauty and streamline look. I enjoy stepping back and just admiring the sweeping lines and the aero dynamics of the whole package. I'm afraid that if I did this to my AS it would take on a whole different character. I guess if the modification could be hidden someway with a shroud to keep the beauty of the trailer intact I could live with it, but I don't think I could mess with the integrity of the unit by putting a big generator up front for all to see. I also wonder (if I sell her) if the next owner would appreciate my handy work.

HankO
Since we now pull Lucy with a truck camper rig, streamlined appearance is no longer an issue. Our youngest son says that we now look like part of a carny troop coming down the highway. He has asked when we are going to get a funnel cake machine and paint clowns and balloons on Lucy and the truck camper. I will have to admit that we quite a sight coming down the road. I guess that it's a matter of function ruling over appearance

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00337.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	172882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00330.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	172883  

2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Generator on A-frame

Hello All. I can't believe that no one even commented on the statement,
Andy at Inland RV made. He has been associated with AS for a very long time and should know what works and what doesn't.
Just because it can be done doesn't mean it's a proper modification.
I have heard from AS factory that even a bike rack on the rear bumper is a no no, let alone a generator.
I wonder how many people run a stress analysis on major components, like the A-frame, when an object weighing in at 200lb+ is added.
Just my $.02.
Happy camping and stat safe nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
say brian, how about a tow-behind generator to complete the carnie look ;-)

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....ory_4178_2.png
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #27

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
[QUOTE=richinny;1228598]say brian, how about a tow-behind generator to complete the carnie look ;-)

We could even dress the generator in a clown suit to deter theft.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Have you considered having a carrying mount built for the front of your truck. You could stow and haul the two 2000's out front in a secure mount.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Moosetags - I think the young moose is on to something with the "carny troop" look: How about a towable cage for the generator? To help with fuel costs you could get a monkey that plays a music box for a dollar, and a bear that rides a bicycle to protect the generator from theft.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
The last time I had my FB in Area 63. Uwe and I discussed this and he suggested a propane fed Onan under the bed.

It would fit and be out of the way. Just a thought.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Moosetags, I've considered the same, and corresponded with a certain Airstream customizer in CO that has done such. I've deferred the project, as we've discovered that we very rarely use the generator - solar keeps our batteries charged very nicely. The tongue weight issue can be managed. Switch to two smaller, lighter, fiberglass propane tanks. Build a lightweight support frame to carry a single generator between the tanks. (My Yamaha 2400is generator runs my 13.5 Dometic A/C just fine, at only 80 lbs.) A stainless cover similar to the existing propane tank cover would look fine. If additional weight reduction were needed, you might move the spare tire to your tow vehicle.

I also considered a mount on the rear of the trailer. My generator would add no more weight to the rear frame than does the loaded Fiamma bike rack offered by Airstream.

Running the generator in the transport position is a different matter. Exhaust routing, ventilation, sound and vibration dampening are issues that would require serious design consideration. I haven't found a design for a suitable safe enclosure for these portable generators.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Los Angeles , California
Onan Belly Mount

Working on installing an Onan 2500 LP into the recessed spare tire area.

Looks like it will be about 2” lower than the battery box.

Will follow up with updates as we make progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA501690-0C29-40F1-94EF-55206D48958F.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	361020   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACBFE3BE-E837-4587-8821-B0982B96B11E.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	361021  

Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow, cool idea. What’s that weigh? I once owned an old GMC class A, (remember those old FWD, tandem rear axle MH?) and I found an on board generator an awesome thing. What your doing is something I considered about before I found Goal Zero and solar on this forum. 44lb and a built in inverter was just too easy. It won’t run the Air Conditioner, but we haven’t really needed it in our year of Airstream Ownership, I’m curious about what design tools you’re using?
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:46 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Los Angeles , California
The generator is about 125lbs.

Drafting is all in solidworks.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:43 AM   #35
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Brian-

Hope you guys are well, so glad to see you're out there still racking up the miles and memories! Been several years since we caught up with you at Fort Wilderness!

I love the Outfitter in the truck bed idea, I've been pining for a FourWheelCamper truck setup myself to tow our beloved Pete 27fb and to use for boondock/quick trips with alone. Plus, if you catch some carney work, you could make some extra cash!

That said, what about a custom rear bumper setup for the truck with custom racks/boxes on each corner (swing out?) that secure the 2k twins against the Outfitter below the tail lights? Like a powder-coated offroad type bumper the truck camper types that go WAY offgrid use for fuel packs, kitchen boxes, etc....... Run the twins off propane on the quick connect on Lucy, and whala.....

The challenge would be to get the gens tight to the camper so you don't touch the corners of Lucy in a full turn. The Hensley extension should help. Just a thought outside the box.

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:48 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanlb View Post
Working on installing an Onan 2500 LP into the recessed spare tire area.

Looks like it will be about 2” lower than the battery box.

Will follow up with updates as we make progress.

Sean,
Now THAT is an elegant concept. What will you do with the spare?

I laughed when I read a recent Airstream newsletter which proclaimed that they “listen and hear what customers want”. Onboard generators and better insulation have to be the two most fundamental improvements discussed on this forum. Airstream must have very selective hearing.

Our 5 year old Yamaha 2400is likely has about 50 hours, because I prefer to avoid the sound. Rooftop solar satisfies all of our electrical needs except aircon. When we do bring it, it travels in the bed of the pickup under a tonneau cover. I run it there as well, with the tonneau lifted and exhaust pointed rearward. Position the truck to direct sound away from other campers. I’ve read dozens of other ‘solutions’ and this is the only one I’ve been comfortable with.

Safe Travels,
Joe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Los Angeles , California
I am going to design a tire carrier that will hold the spare tire above the battery box between the front of the trailer and the propane box.

I have seen some excellent above the battery box mounting designs here on the forum – so I’m probably going to use those as a starting point when I get around to designing and constructing the tire carrier.

I’m still in the middle of working out the generator mounting system, but I may offer a drop in mounting assembly that utilizes the existing threaded holes from the belly tire carrier. I will be designing this exclusively for the Onan 2500 and 2800 series generators.

If you guys are interested in one of these systems, please let me know and I can start getting production estimates from our metal fabrication factory.

I will have more clearance and dimensional metrics in a few weeks after I get my trailer back from Uwe at area 63.

Updates to come.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We am looking for a new approach for power self-sufficiency for Lucy on the road. For the past five years we have been using a pair of Honda 2000's, and have been very satisfied with their performance. What we are looking to do now is to simplify the system.

We have come up with one idea, but are open to suggestions and comments. What we have been thinking about is mounting a Honda 3000 on Lucy's tongue. We would go to a single 30# LP tank to make room for the Honda. We would mount a platform on Lucy's tongue to accommodate the generator and the LP tank. Taking your spare tire and throwing in the back of the truck will drop another 50 lbs.

Brian
I think Propane tanks weigh about 50 lbs when full and If I remember right the Honda 3000 Handy weighs about 78 lbs. It seems to me that removing one tank and adding an additional 28 lbs won't make a big difference. You can also remove the spare tire and carry it in the back of the truck. That drops another 50 lbs.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:44 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' International
Whereweparkit , Anywhere
Quote:
I am going to design a tire carrier that will hold the spare tire above the battery box between the front of the trailer and the propane box.

I have seen some excellent above the battery box mounting designs here on the forum – so I’m probably going to use those as a starting point when I get around to designing and constructing the tire carrier.

I’m still in the middle of working out the generator mounting system, but I may offer a drop in mounting assembly that utilizes the existing threaded holes from the belly tire carrier. I will be designing this exclusively for the Onan 2500 and 2800 series generators.

If you guys are interested in one of these systems, please let me know and I can start getting production estimates from our metal fabrication factory.

I will have more clearance and dimensional metrics in a few weeks after I get my trailer back from Uwe at area 63.

Updates to come.
Sean,

Great idea. I'm interested for sure.

Full-timing it in a 2020 International Serenity 30RB!
https://AdventureToaster.com
TV: 2020 Ram 2500 Limited CCSB Hemi
AdvToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Quote:

Updates to come.

Great idea, I got to do this now!

Please keep us posted with progress and pics. Would love to see how you did it!
tabney0315 is offline   Reply With Quote