Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
Camping Dutchman

2018 33' Classic
Manchester center , Vermont
Easy start; use of Honda eu2000i with 50 amp classic

Hi all,
Just installed myself the easy start (micro air) on one of my AC’s (13.5 k BTU) of my 2018 classic 33 ft. ( with solar panels). Still have to run the learning cycles when I’m finally on shore power, so have not tested it out. It wasn’t too difficult after studying the wire diagram and watching a you tube that specifically had the airstream penguin II model. Taking my time it took me an hour. If I ever do a second one, I’m sure I can do it in 30 minutes. ( let’s hope I did it right &#128513
My questions are about the use of my Honda eu2000i generator with this.
1) I have only two 20 amp regular outlets on my generator. One is used to have the generator bonding plug in it ( which I made myself)
2) my airstream has a 50 amp power cord. I don’t have a 30 amp. power cord.
But I have dog bones that can go from 50 to 30 and another one from 30 to 20 amp. Can I just used them in series? I have to plug it into a Honda eu2000i that only has a regular 20 amp socket.
3) does one still use a surge protector or not anymore with this generator?
4) do you run the generator in eco mode or not?
5) when using the generator do you first start the generator and than connect to trailer?
When shutting generator off, do you first disconnect from trailer? And than turn off generator?
6) given that very limited addition amp power left after using AC, I will run my fridge and hot water off gas. However, what should I further turn off to shut down any auxiliary power use that might trip the generator? And how does one shut down any auxiliary power use? Breaker panel?

Appreciate any comments from this very knowledgeable forum.
Thanks in advance,
Menno
Menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The purpose of the bonding plug is to fool a surge protector or GFI.
So if you don't use the surge, you can unplug the bonding plug.
As far a a daisy chain of dog bones, yes.
But you still only have 20 amps, or less depending on the generator.
The Honda 2000is has a continuous output of 13.33 amps. (16 amps for a short time)
That may be enough to run the AC, but not much more.
Don't forget the converter will eat 4 amps.

As far as plugging and unplugging, the preferred method is to turn off the appliance, then unplug, then power down.
However, after a lot of experience in using the Honda EU3000is, we just shut them down. We were using them for sensitive fiber systems and nothing ever failed. After all, the generator runs out of gas too.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Welcome to the Easy Start club. I installed mine myself as well to our 13,500BTU unit. I installed one of these adapter plugs to minimize the number of connections where heat can build up due to losses. Then all you need is a good extension cord from generator to where this plugs into your trailer. But if you want, you can just go through your multiple adapters.

If I’m going to run the AC I take the generator off of eco mode just to stabilize the power but I have confirmed the Honda will react quick enough to power the AC. When we installed our solar and lithium batteries the converter was replaced with a Victron unit that draws much more power than the OEM one that Airstream uses and I’ve found that if the converter is charging the batteries I cannot run the AC at the same time with our Honda 2000 so I have to turn off the converter.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I start the gen and then plug it in. I do not think it matters much. I have to turn off my power converter to run the AC. The batteries are usually low and a big converter draws a bit of power. Maybe 6 of your avaliable amps. With fridge and WH on propane that is the only big draw left. Our trailer has the converter on a switched circuit. If yours is not maybe the breaker will work as a switch for it. I only run the AC on gen when it is pretty hot outside so I turn it to full cold. That keeps the compressor running and it only has to start once,
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Just as a footnote: I bought a 2200i honda after my 2000i got a little tired. It runs my 15,000 btu AC with Easystart and converter with ease. I changed the carb in the 2000i and it came back to life. The Carbs are only $79.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #6
Camping Dutchman

2018 33' Classic
Manchester center , Vermont
No need for EMS with use of generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
The purpose of the bonding plug is to fool a surge protector or GFI.
So if you don't use the surge, you can unplug the bonding plug.
As far a a daisy chain of dog bones, yes.
But you still only have 20 amps, or less depending on the generator.
The Honda 2000is has a continuous output of 13.33 amps. (16 amps for a short time)
That may be enough to run the AC, but not much more.
Don't forget the converter will eat 4 amps.

As far as plugging and unplugging, the preferred method is to turn off the appliance, then unplug, then power down.
However, after a lot of experience in using the Honda EU3000is, we just shut them down. We were using them for sensitive fiber systems and nothing ever failed. After all, the generator runs out of gas too.
Reply; Thanks for that. I did a bit more research and found this interesting link where the use or not of an EMS is discussed including the use of the bonding plug. Basically the short version of it is; “the generator is not capable of producing "high voltage" conditions, so an "overvoltage situation is unlikely (unless lightening strikes your system) and the generator also has a "low voltage" (overload) monitor circuit and will shut itself off, which is the same function as the "low voltage monitor" in your line monitor circuit within your surge protector.” Full link http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=26147.

Now, I hope that all this is correct and I don’t put facts out that are not true. So please correct me if necessary,
Menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menno View Post
Hi all,
Just installed myself the easy start (micro air) on one of my AC’s (13.5 k BTU) of my 2018 classic 33 ft. ( with solar panels). Still have to run the learning cycles when I’m finally on shore power, so have not tested it out. It wasn’t too difficult after studying the wire diagram and watching a you tube that specifically had the airstream penguin II model. Taking my time it took me an hour. If I ever do a second one, I’m sure I can do it in 30 minutes. ( let’s hope I did it right &#128513
My questions are about the use of my Honda eu2000i generator with this.
1) I have only two 20 amp regular outlets on my generator. One is used to have the generator bonding plug in it ( which I made myself)
2) my airstream has a 50 amp power cord. I don’t have a 30 amp. power cord.
But I have dog bones that can go from 50 to 30 and another one from 30 to 20 amp. Can I just used them in series? I have to plug it into a Honda eu2000i that only has a regular 20 amp socket.
3) does one still use a surge protector or not anymore with this generator?
4) do you run the generator in eco mode or not?
5) when using the generator do you first start the generator and than connect to trailer?
When shutting generator off, do you first disconnect from trailer? And than turn off generator?
6) given that very limited addition amp power left after using AC, I will run my fridge and hot water off gas. However, what should I further turn off to shut down any auxiliary power use that might trip the generator? And how does one shut down any auxiliary power use? Breaker panel?

Appreciate any comments from this very knowledgeable forum.
Thanks in advance,
Menno

What is going on with all this magic thinking ???
Honda 2000 is 2000 watts surge , 1600 watts continuous .
2 - 20 amp outlets , Ohms law - 20 amps x 120 volts = 2,400 watts x 2 = 4,800 watts ?????
Now throw in jumping from 30 amp to 50 amp - use some basic math ----- not magic thinking !
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belleville , Illinois
A word of caution using a dog bone to adapt from 30 amp service to a 50 amp cord with a surge protector in between.
I connected 30 amp service to a 50 amp surge protector via dog bone. Then from surge protector to AS using 50 amp cord. In essence that changed 3 wires from the house breaker panel to 4 wires into the AS. That extra wire electrified my chassis so that when I touched, for example, the metal near the drain valves on the fresh water tank it shocked me. I am no electrician but was told the extra wire had no where to go so it was like an extra ground. When I removed the surge protector and the dog bone and went straight 30 amp to the AS the shock ceased.
Presitla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Be aware that AC motors are more finicky on power quality and use, unlike straight resistance heaters. The A/C motors like all motors require watts to power up. However, in AC circuits you still need to deal with real and reactive loads. This translates to KWATTs and KVARS. It simply means to us that the motors use more power than indicated therefore, possibly making the genny rating inadequate. Power factor, if you please. That's why its good idea to have SoftStart an a little extra capacity.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:50 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Just as a footnote: I bought a 2200i honda after my 2000i got a little tired. It runs my 15,000 btu AC with Easystart and converter with ease. I changed the carb in the 2000i and it came back to life. The Carbs are only $79.
Turk, do you use propane? I have the Easy Starts with EU2200i and Hutch Mountain propane adapter. Mine gen kicks out on overload after a few minutes running one AC
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote