Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Charging Goal Zero with Zamp

Hey all. Using a Goal Zero Yeti 1400 as backup power when I boondock with my AS. I already have a Zamp Solar brief case that I plug in to my Zamp port when the sun doesn't hit my fixed panels. Anyone know of a way to use the Zamp Solar Brief Case to charge a Goal Zero Yeti 1400. The panels use an SAE connector but the Goal Zero doesn't. The Zamp panels also have a built in controller. Could I bypass it and is there an adapter I could use that would be compatible with the Yeti's ports? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have to enlighten me!
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might want to read this thread, and ask there IMO:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...-a-178647.html

Pahaska seems knowledgeable on GZ issues IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
You should be able to find it here. it depends what receptacle the GZ has. I believe it's the first one.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-26-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
You should be able to find it here. it depends what receptacle the GZ has. I believe it's the first one.

Bob
����
Thanks. I didn't know polarity inverters existed. Novice here. I would still need to add a converter to the appropriate port on the Goal Zero and find a way to bypass the converter built into my Zamp panels but now I have one piece of the puzzle.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Thanks. I didn't know polarity inverters existed. Novice here. I would still need to add a converter to the appropriate port on the Goal Zero and find a way to bypass the converter built into my Zamp panels but now I have one piece of the puzzle.
ZAMP tech told me that I would need to abandon the controller on my ZAMP 140 and feed directly into my Goal Zero 400 since the 400 has it's own controller. Goal Zero tech seemed dubious of that solution. Also, it would void the ZAMP warranty.

I use my RAM 2500's AC outlet to charge my GZ400 while driving.

I also use my 25FB's AC outlet powered by the inverter batteries charged by 500 watts of solar on the roof, when boon docking.

I was hoping to use the ZAMP 140 to power the GZ 400 while dry camping in the 68 Caravel. I'll stick with charging the GZ400 in the RAM while towing the little vintage.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
ZAMP tech told me that I would need to abandon the controller on my ZAMP 140 and feed directly into my Goal Zero 400 since the 400 has it's own controller. Goal Zero tech seemed dubious of that solution. Also, it would void the ZAMP warranty.

I use my RAM 2500's AC outlet to charge my GZ400 while driving.

I also use my 25FB's AC outlet powered by the inverter batteries charged by 500 watts of solar on the roof, when boon docking.

I was hoping to use the ZAMP 140 to power the GZ 400 while dry camping in the 68 Caravel. I'll stick with charging the GZ400 in the RAM while towing the little vintage.
Try it...if there is a problem the Zamp Suitcase Controller will show a fault code and open the circuit.
AMHIK...I did my own fly-by-night suitcase wiring, it bailed me out several times.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , Wyoming
I use an 80 watt Zamp panel to recharge a Goal Zero Yeti 400. There's an Anderson port on both sides of the Yeti that bypassed the Yeti's built in controler. Zamp panel automatically shuts off when Yeti is fully charged.
Airabel-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airabel-2 View Post
I use an 80 watt Zamp panel to recharge a Goal Zero Yeti 400. There's an Anderson port on both sides of the Yeti that bypassed the Yeti's built in controler. Zamp panel automatically shuts off when Yeti is fully charged.
Interesting. That would mean you have an SAE to Anderson adapter. Does it reverse polarity as I understood Zamp’s was switched?
Old 03-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , Wyoming
I use an SAE to Anderson pigtail. Just make sure red side on Anderson plug is connected to positive side of the SAE plug and Zamp . One issue with doing this is the input-output gauge on the Yeti does not indicate a charge while the Zamp is charging the Yeti. Zamp controler will indicate it's charging and will stop when Yeti is fully charged. If you check the Anderson terminals with a multimeter it will show the Yeti battery is fully charged.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Sheridan , Wyoming
One other thing I forgot to mention. On the Zamp controler, make sure you set the type of battery you are charging. My Yeti 400 uses an "AGM" while the trailer battery is "WET".
There's a button on the controler to set battery type.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airabel-2 View Post
I noticed that you mentioned that your Yeti 400 is an AGM. My 400 Lithium does not have Anderson inputs, only a female 8mm input .

I'm considering purchasing this Anderson to 8mm male adapter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...VP3AMH26&psc=1

I already have an adapter with that particular Anderson end mated to an SAE connector with a polarity reverser, to 7pin trailer connector. I use this setup for my ZAMP 400 to 7pin trailer connector on my 68 Caravel.

My only concern is whether this particular 8mm male is compatible with the Yeti female. Does anyone happen to know?
Old 03-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
I noticed that you mentioned that your Yeti 400 is an AGM. My 400 Lithium does not have Anderson inputs, only a female 8mm input .

I'm considering purchasing this Anderson to 8mm male adapter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...VP3AMH26&psc=1

I already have an adapter with that particular Anderson end mated to an SAE connector with a polarity reverser, to 7pin trailer connector. I use this setup for my ZAMP 400 to 7pin trailer connector on my 68 Caravel.

My only concern is whether this particular 8mm male is compatible with the Yeti female. Does anyone happen to know?
Also, my ZAMP 140 is of the newest generation which auto senses lithium batteries like the one in my 400 Lithium. I'm hoping that this capability will negate the need to bypass the ZAMP's controller.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Hey all. Using a Goal Zero Yeti 1400 as backup power when I boondock with my AS. I already have a Zamp Solar brief case that I plug in to my Zamp port when the sun doesn't hit my fixed panels. Anyone know of a way to use the Zamp Solar Brief Case to charge a Goal Zero Yeti 1400. The panels use an SAE connector but the Goal Zero doesn't. The Zamp panels also have a built in controller. Could I bypass it and is there an adapter I could use that would be compatible with the Yeti's ports? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have to enlighten me!
I was recently gifted a GZ 500x.
I called Zamp yesterday.
You can NOT charge the GZ without by-passing the Zamp suitcase controller.
Not sure yet if I will modify one of our 180w suitcase's or not. I think I'll put some time on it to see if it's worthwhile, a lot depends on how we end up using the GZ.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-04-2020, 06:46 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
I was recently gifted a GZ 500x.
I called Zamp yesterday.
You can NOT charge the GZ without by-passing the Zamp suitcase controller.
Not sure yet if I will modify one of our 180w suitcase's or not. I think I'll put some time on it to see if it's worthwhile, a lot depends on how we end up using the GZ.

Bob
🇺🇸
I won't be modifying anything...returning.
FWIW...GZ CS is lacking.
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , OR
Quote:
Also, my ZAMP 140 is of the newest generation which auto senses lithium batteries like the one in my 400 Lithium. I'm hoping that this capability will negate the need to bypass the ZAMP's controller.
Please let us know how this ultimately works out for you. Thank you!
CRRVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRRVP View Post
Please let us know how this ultimately works out for you. Thank you!
It won't....Last weeks correspondence with GZ CS.

I was just gifted a 500x. I use 2 Zamp 180w suitcase panels to keep the BB lithium batt's charged in our Airstream. They each have a controller and charge thru the 7pin umbilical. How would I use one or both of my panels to charge the 500x?

Thank's
Bob C,

Hi Bob,

Thank you for contacting Goal zero. You would only be able to use one of those solar panels since the Yeti 500X has a maximum input of 120W. If you're able to, you'll need to bypass the charge controller on the solar panel as well since they wouldn't be compatible by having to controllers in line. Also, the 8mm port on the Yeti 500x is proprietary. If you were able to adapt the connection to a 45A Anderson connection, and then use our Anderson to 8mm adapter cable, you'd be able to connect use the solar panel with the unit.

Regards,

Charly Barkey
Solution Center Representative

Charly,
Thank you for the replay.
As it turns out I’m not able to use the 500x at all and have to return it.
The relevant word is ‘proprietary’. I understand you want to sell your panels. But some of us already have a working solar system, and would just like to have a backup.

Thank’s…
Bob C.
--------------------------------

The only way would be to by-pass the Zamp controller on your Suitcase..

The fact that your panels controller may detect the Lithium battery does negate the fact that the GZ will not work with two controllers in line.

I decided not to modify our panel and returned the GZ.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , OR
Quote:
It won't....Last weeks correspondence with GZ CS.

I was just gifted a 500x. I use 2 Zamp 180w suitcase panels to keep the BB lithium batt's charged in our Airstream. They each have a controller and charge thru the 7pin umbilical. How would I use one or both of my panels to charge the 500x?

Thank's
Bob C,

Hi Bob,

Thank you for contacting Goal zero. You would only be able to use one of those solar panels since the Yeti 500X has a maximum input of 120W. If you're able to, you'll need to bypass the charge controller on the solar panel as well since they wouldn't be compatible by having to controllers in line. Also, the 8mm port on the Yeti 500x is proprietary. If you were able to adapt the connection to a 45A Anderson connection, and then use our Anderson to 8mm adapter cable, you'd be able to connect use the solar panel with the unit.

Regards,

Charly Barkey
Solution Center Representative

Charly,
Thank you for the replay.
As it turns out I’m not able to use the 500x at all and have to return it.
The relevant word is ‘proprietary’. I understand you want to sell your panels. But some of us already have a working solar system, and would just like to have a backup.

Thank’s…
Bob C.
--------------------------------

The only way would be to by-pass the Zamp controller on your Suitcase..

The fact that your panels controller may detect the Lithium battery does negate the fact that the GZ will not work with two controllers in line.

I decided not to modify our panel and returned the GZ.

Bob
🇺🇸
Thanks for the follow up Bob! Much appreciated.

In summary of this thread, if I understand correctly, a GZ yeti cannot be charged with a Zamp portable solar panel because the proprietary connection of the GZ should not be adapted to a Zamp connection without modifying or circumventing the Zamp controller. Any modification on the Zamp would negate the warranty. Therefore, one should only charge a GZ with the solar panel sold by GZ.

All the best, Don
CRRVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Don,

You could do it if you wanted to cut the wires from the panel to the Zamp controller, splice in a quick disconnect, and get the 45a Anderson adaptor to enable the connection to the GZ. 🤓
For me it wasn't worth the trouble using the 500x as I don't have that many uses for it.🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-31-2021, 09:27 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Charge Goal Zero Through AS 12v Receptacle

Quote:
Don,

You could do it if you wanted to cut the wires from the panel to the Zamp controller, splice in a quick disconnect, and get the 45a Anderson adaptor to enable the connection to the GZ. 🤓
For me it wasn't worth the trouble using the 500x as I don't have that many uses for it.🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
Wouldn't it be possible to leave the previously connected solar as is and then charge the Goal Zero through a 12 v receptacle in the Airstream? They sell a $40 Yeti 12v car charging cable. Maybe only charge when there's enough sun to keep from draining the primary battery bank?
RoGo is offline   Reply With Quote