Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Manchaca , Texas
Caravel 22FB - Max solar

Just picked up a new 2021 Caravel 22FB and want to kit up some solar. It already has the 90w panel and AGM, but I want to add some additional panels. With the factory solar installation, I'm to understand that there is a "box" on the roof that supports up to 3 panels, with the first panel taking up one of those connectors. I'd like to add the Zamp Obsidian panels, but I'm curious 1) if these are direct-fit (mount and plug) or if there are additional modifications required, and 2) what is the maximum number of panels that I can support on the roof without additional modification (e.g. wire size).

I've also tried to find roof pictures of a caravel 22 for any of this and I haven't had good luck, so if anyone has some that would be awesome. Thanks!!
spitcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
Zamp panels have the same connector (SAE style) as the combiner box on the roof so you only need to plug them in.
I have two panels on the roof of my 19' caravel with space for one more of I want. The caveat is where/how your factory panel is mounted. That location may not be optimal and need to be moved. The factory prewire has 8 awg running down from the roof so your limiting factor is space on the roof.
I suggest you get the dimensions for the panels you are interested, get a ladder, and take a look at your roof.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
My good friend just added two more 90w long panels (270 total now) on his Caravel 22’. Not sure the obsidian is going to fit well. Consider going with the legacy 90w longs and it will cost you less too. Best of luck
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Manchaca , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
My good friend just added two more 90w long panels (270 total now) on his Caravel 22’. Not sure the obsidian is going to fit well. Consider going with the legacy 90w longs and it will cost you less too. Best of luck
Why do you think the obsidian won't fit well? I'm going to measure today (forgot my ladder yesterday) but it looks like 2x additional Obsidian 90w longs will fit. But again, I need to measure.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Manchaca , Texas
as a follow-up, the obsidian 90w longs are only 1" longer and 1" wider than the legacy.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:38 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's normally best to run "same / same" panels in a solar array. The issue is the max power point. Different cell makeups may have different max power points. ( not to say they *do*, just to say they may). Having your MPPT controller match up to an "average" point will not give you quite as much power output as a single uniform point.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Manchaca , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

It's normally best to run "same / same" panels in a solar array. The issue is the max power point. Different cell makeups may have different max power points. ( not to say they *do*, just to say they may). Having your MPPT controller match up to an "average" point will not give you quite as much power output as a single uniform point.

Bob
ah ok, good to know. thanks a ton. going to order 2x additional 90w legacy panels to add to my existing 90w. i did measure and there's plenty of room, no issues there.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:47 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitcool View Post
Why do you think the obsidian won't fit well? I'm going to measure today (forgot my ladder yesterday) but it looks like 2x additional Obsidian 90w longs will fit. But again, I need to measure.

I wasn’t aware they released a 90w long version of the obsidian. At original release they were just the 100w regular rectangle shape. Either legacy or obsidian 90w longs should be fine. When I looked before, they kept the same voltage parameters to make the new series compatible (verify that). Good luck!
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel