Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2006, 06:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Advise on buying used Honda generator...

OK folks, aftering trolling these boards fro a while I decided I wanted one generator, not two, preferably a honda 3000. So I find an ad for an eu3000is, says it has 9 hrs of use and they're asking $1600. I call the guy, who tells me that he bought it last Oct for a business that went under, he's trying to cut his losses and its practically new. I told him I wanted to cut to the chase and if everything checked out I'd give him $1300. He said he'd talk it over with him wife and call me back, which about 30 mins he did and we have a deal.

SOOOO, feel free to tell me if I'm over paying, but what I really want to know is what I should look for on this generator. I grew up as a shadetree mechanic, but have very little experience with generators....

Thanks, Sean
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Possible alternative

This may not be what you want to consider--but I just bought a fancypants Yamaha 3000iSEB gnerator for my '72 Ambassador and am DELIGHTED with it! Where I'm going to park the AS (Crystal Beach near Galveston on the Texas coast) there are just too many expensive problems involving soil percolation tests, aerobic septic "money pit" sewage systems, and other things needed before the power company will even allow a temporary power pole on my land (not to mention water hookup!). I decided to go with self-contained "permanent boondocking" and bought the generator. I will use a totable sewage tank which I can haul away and I will carry in my own water when I go down for vacations.

The Yamaha generator weighs about 160#--I can't lift this much anymore, but a 4' ramp makes it pretty easy to roll/push it on and off my Jeep. I run the generator from the back of the Jeep when I'm working on the AS in the storage lot where it is now and simply drive off with my generator when I'm done. Once parked, I'll chain it to the inside of a shed I'll build for it and take it home when I leave.

I paid about $1800 for it, NEW, from Yamaha America in California.
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Yeap I looked at the Yamahas, don't see anything wrong with them, but they don't have the track record of the Hondas and service isn't as readily available. That said I know I could get the Honda new for about that price ($1800), but I save $500 going with this one, which reportly is not even broken in yet.

The weight isn't really an issue for me and I don't expect it to be in the forseeable future.

From what I've read, short of physical abuse there is very little that you can do to these things, i.e. they know to shut-off if anything is wrong.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forums, Sean! You're right -- this would be so much simpler than hooking up 2 eu2000i's in parallel since it sounds like you've moved beyond the lifting-in-and-out issue. Next problem? How to carry fresh mint for iced tea!

I'll offer up one link that has 2 members' answer to converting their units to LP. Two cautions on gasoline -- strap down your fuel so it doesn't become a missile in case of accident and let the Honda cool down some before refueling.

p.s. -- I took care of the duplicate thread. No problem mon...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Cool avatar Canoe
Old 07-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
asta2,
The Honda 3000 is a good generator so you can't go wrong with it. I looked at 2 of the Honda 2000's and opted for the Yamaha 3000iseb for the elec. start. It is too heavy for me to lift but easily rolls up ramps. I'm now faced with either buying a foldable aluminum ramp or a small utility trailer to tow behind the Sovereign (yes, it does have a hitch for a bicycle rack). I have plenty of space in the truck bed for foldable ramps and have done some research on them. I need at least one 16 1/2" wide ramp with a minimum of 6' long. The widest single ramp I have found is 15" but have found some foldable ramps when placed together will widen the track to 28" or so. I tell myself that I should have bought 2 of the Honda 2000's but I'm satisfied with the Yamaha as soon as I solve my ramp problem.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
It's a real good deal. I think they sell new for 1795.00.Thats what I paid for mine 2 yrs ago. I have no regrets on that purchase.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Barring that it has been miss used some how , it sounds like you made a great deal . I was in the market for a eu2000 but the used prices were too close to new so I opted for new. One thing to ask the seller for is the original sales slip or the warranty card . The warranty is good for 2 years regardless of owner , with proof of purchase
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Honda 3000

We also have a Honda 3000 that I bought used for $1600 from the dealer with just 3 hours on it. It has a wheel kit to roll it around, and my wife and I can lift it ourselves using the old "1-2-3-lift" technique. Once we have it in the pickup, I strap it down to the side in the rear for travel. I have not had any issues with gas smell into the main cab area. To run it, I take off the rear top panel on my Avalanche to help exhaust the fumes and let 'er rip. It runs our 13,000 BTU AC just fine.
I've been told to unhook the power cord before turning it off to limit the voltage drop variation. Also to hook up the power cord after it's started. Not sure if that's necessary.
I've considered converting to propane, however it's been a plus to run on gas because it's an emergency gas source. We once ran out of gas in our TV (don't believe your TV computer as to miles remaining in your gas tank) and was able to siphon gas from the genset to get us to the next city (Mitchell, WY).
Here's a pic of our setup in the Avalanche at Many Glacier CG in Glacier NP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3505sm.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	24032  

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jim,
When I showed up a day early at the hunting camp and everyone else couldn't make it until the next day, I left the Yamaha in the bed of my truck and ran it right there. When the guys showed up, we just lifted it out of the truck and put it near the trailer. The Rock Tamers look good with your Avalanche.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticki2
Barring that it has been miss used some how , it sounds like you made a great deal . I was in the market for a eu2000 but the used prices were too close to new so I opted for new. One thing to ask the seller for is the original sales slip or the warranty card . The warranty is good for 2 years regardless of owner , with proof of purchase
Good info there ticki2 - I won't have thought to ask for it, thx
Old 07-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Full-timing
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
We also have a Honda 3000 that I bought used for $1600 from the dealer with just 3 hours on it. It has a wheel kit to roll it around, and my wife and I can lift it ourselves using the old "1-2-3-lift" technique. Once we have it in the pickup, I strap it down to the side in the rear for travel. I have not had any issues with gas smell into the main cab area. To run it, I take off the rear top panel on my Avalanche to help exhaust the fumes and let 'er rip. It runs our 13,000 BTU AC just fine.
Kinda what I'm looking at, I have a Ford F-150 4X4 SuperCrew with the 5.8l V8. Expect I can just leave it in the bad of the truck. Thanks