Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2016, 06:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Another issue: Generators are temperamental. If you want to have generator(s) running, presumably it's for a reason. If you are not there and there is an issue with fuel, breakers, etc then you risk coming back to find something other than what you expected. For example, if you were running two generators (for AC perhaps) and one died while you were away you would find whatever the consequences of low voltage form too much load on too little generator.

Many of those consequences can be anticipated and managed (e.g.: with surge suppressors, remote monitoring alarms, etc.). It's up to you to determine whether the benefits to your trip of leaving generators running unattended are worth the risks. It seems that the consensus here among respondents is "No".
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am waiting on a 2017 28' International Serenity. In my our younger days we gained lots of experience camping in tents and in pop-up tent campers. We love the outdoors and look like the Grizwalds (Chevy Chase) going on vacation with our bikes, canoe and pop-up in tow. Fast forward 17 years and now we are ready to start our 2nd series of adventures with the outdoors and all the wonderful things to see across the US and Canada. We are older and wiser and used to more comfort and can afford them so I haven't scrimped on our AS. I put the 160Watt solar package on it and purchased the GenConnexDirect Honda EU2000i and EU2000i Companion propane converted generators. They arrived promptly, with all the hoses, engine oil, funnel and cables to connect them together. The conversion is very clean and slick. Simple to connect to the propane (no messy gasoline) very clean. Both were connected to individual tanks and started on the third pull. After the initial run, they started on the 2nd pull. I then ran them on a single tank - no issues. They can be connected to the trailer as well on the LP port which the 2017 trailers have. To test them under a load, I connected my air compressor and a hair dryer. No hesitation and the compressor motor ran just fine. I have had a Honda EU6000i for several years to power my home when we lose power so I am familiar with them and find them to be extremely reliable, efficient and very quiet. You can stand next to the EU2000i and have a normal conversation when they are running.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:27 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
How common is generator theft? I know there are people who can't seem to leave other people's property alone, but seems like there are a lot of people warning against it. It's always good to take precautions, but I am curious how many on here have lost a generator.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Theft in campgrounds is very rare, tho it does happen.

Many would say, and I agree with this, that thieves are not your fellow campers but folks who might come in from the outside.

Use reasonable precautions, but don't assume every neighbor wants your stuff, because they don't.

Maggie
Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We were in attendance on a rally in well populated state park. We were all parked in a separate dry loop with 24 rigs. A thief drove into the loop at approx 0200 hours and stole a generator sitting next to an Airstream.

Ranger advised several generators were stolen that night throughout the park and a camper in another loop saw a van driving around at that time.

Things happen.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:35 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Champion 2000W update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Good point about leaving outside unattended....Ranger in Glacier told us of a "crew" that was going around early in the morning around 4am; one guy had a flashlight and a walkie-talkie, like he was checking campsites for violations. He was really noting the location of sites with generators unsecured. They would note the campsite number with the generator unsecured, call friends following not far behind in a PU who would pull up and snatch the generator and off they would go. Good to have your generator secured or better yet; in the truck locked when not in use.
Just used the Champion 2000W unit I bought recently, for 4 days up in Glacier. Started first pull each time, was very quiet and for us, miserly on gas, and did a great job. Ran electric coffee, water heater, fridge, and charged several items. I went next door to couple who had the Honda 2000W and seemed same noise level...pretty quiet for both units. For the money, I am happy and will likely get a second unit so I can run the AC when we leave for TX end of this month.

By the way, Ranger told us there hadn't been any generator reported thefts in past month at that site (Apgar, West Glacier) ...I still put my unit away at night in bed of p/u (it's fairly light weight) and had it fastened with hardened cable lock during day while using, just to be safe.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote