Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
tail light wiring

I am still learning about wiring. Right now hooking up LED tail and reverse lights. The LED 1157/1156 connectors are shown below. Also is the wiring from the airstream. For the curb side tail light. The brown wire comes from the umbilical cord, one green wire comes from the lower curb side clearance light and the other green wire leaves to go to the license plate light and the street side lower clearance light. I am thinking to cut off the 1157 type connect and crimp these wires - feel a little better about the stability of that. So I have a white wire (ground), a red wire, and a black wire from the light. How should these wires be connected to the AS wires?

For the reverse, the reverse light has a black wire and a white wire. On the AS, a black wire comes from the umbilical cord; another black wire goes over to the street side reverse light. How should these wires be connected?
Thanks so much.
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1157 connectors.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	266378   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail light wires.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	266379  

Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I'm having flash backs to that wiring mess. Best to trace the wires to understand how they all connect and keep them all basically the same. I know not to helpful but with all the connections and interconnections back there it's the best way. You have one feed powering tail, and running lights feeding both sides and above window.
The 1157 has 2 hot wires feeding separate filaments in the bulb, replaced by led contacts. The black is supposed to be the one that's normally powered(i.e. Running light portion) the red is supposed to be the boost lead,( i.e. Brake light activation or turn signal activating).

Crimping the connections is ok just be sure you're using appropriately sized crimp caps.
Since you're wiring I highly recommend a ratcheting crimped, it's well worth the $20, you'll be amazed at the difference from the dimple crimps.

I soldered all my connections back there. Also cut access holes in the inner skins where all the connections were on each side for easy acces later.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Thanks for the note Joe. The brown wire comes directly from the umbilical cord. I have a separate green wire coming directly from the umbilical cord getting the clearance lights above the window. So I know the brown wire is the main wire for the left tail light - there is another color from the umbilical cord to the right tail light. So what wire connects to to what? Do I connect the black and red from the light to the brown and two green wires from the AS all together? Just not sure exactly what color wire goes to what. I am thinking the white is a ground I should run back to the distribution box?
Thanks,
Greg
Old 07-11-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
On my '58 Traveler I found the cord from the TV comes into the trailer at the front from the left or street side. I cut a small access hole in the inner skin (maybe 2" square) and then cut a larger hole in the floor and used a small deck plate to close that area.
The rear light wiring comes up to the left first and then over to the license and right side. What I did was to make notes & then pull all of the lights. I then wired the front of the trailer to the standard wiring;
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

After I got the front wired I was able to go to the rear with a meter. I connected the TV and double checked all of the connections.
You should be able to prove the ground wire with a meter but on mine the black was the negative. PS I wouldn't use those plugs just because of possible corrosion, I make sure I use a T&B Crimper and if concerned about moisture then seal the connectors with liquid tape or similar.
good luck!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I don't remember specifically how all the wires were connected. I had to do a lot of tracing and untangling, and tried to keep all the connections pretty much the way they were, but cleaned up. I'm in ID right now and trailer and manuals are in NY so it's hard for me to remember the specific's of the wiring mess back there.
Looking at the connector in the photo, the 2 greens are connected inside the rubber connector, the brown is separate. So it you crimped the 2 greens to the wire that is on the mating side of the connector it plugs into, that will create the same connection as the connector. So the 2 greens from the female side crimped with the wire on the male side of the other connector will be the same, hope that makes sense. The brown crimped to the opposite connectors female port wire will be the same as well.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Thanks HiJoe - that make sense - I will try that.
Greg