Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Chewelah , Washington
Exclamation DAMN GFI Breaker

I have a 2005 Classic 34'. I am having trouble keeping the GFi breaker from popping when I use my waterpik after brushing my teeth. seems like about 3 nights outta 7 the damn bathroom breaker pops, shuuting down my computer in the front end table and it really ticks me off. I have been threatening to replace it with a regular 20a. breaker. anybody got any ideas about this? do these things get weak or what? I am not splashing the water out of the sink, but it seems to pop quite often and it really pisses me off. HELP ! ! ! ! ! !
dan50w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
GFI breakers are picky (pun intended), have a electrician check the circuit. Seems like the front end is on a seperate circuit.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Over time, a GFI will become more sensitive to minor variations in current that are caused by certain types of appliances. Hair dryers and space heaters are notorious for stressing and tripping GFIs. Replacing the GFI will help solve this problem, though it may recur eventually as the new GFI ages.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
GFIs will trip if they are used with anything that has a capacitor on the input side of the transformer. The charging current through the cap are enough to trip them. This was a major headache in the electronic industry when they first came out. Lots of the equipment back then had caps before the transformer.

Once the electrical inspector had left our new building I had to remove the GFIs on all the technicians benches so they could work. They could take 10 mins. each am just to get their equipment turned on what with the breakers tripping with every other piece being put online.

You may have to move to another circuit or look into another tooth brush that is GFI friendly.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Interplak makes a battery powered dental water jet that works pretty well. I got one on Amazon. Solves the problem and can be used when boondocking.

Otherwise, you have gotten correct advice on GFI's.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
chew wheela! kinda like chew bacca

Hi Dan. GFI CB's can be buggers, but your trailer seems to be new enough such that the CB should'nt be that sensitive...you do not indicate whether or not you are on shore power or generator. But regardless, you need to ascertain the grounding for your "system" what ever it consists of, is correct-otherwise, you may get ghosting operation of a GFI. The problem with any breaker that trips repeatedly is that the tripping mechanism is designed to NOT get stronger, but weaker as to its ampacity...so, if you are tripping it a lot and resetting-it will continue to spiral downward in its resistance to tripping. Are you using any kind of adaptor on your AC connection to the world? If so, is the grounding conductor continuous from your AS to the grid grounding system? DC chargers can feed back into an AC system into which it is connected causing the "ground" side of the system to sense current-which will operate a GFI. Unplug your charger and see if the GFI continues its sensitive operation. If on Generator, you do not have an earth ground connected to your trailer-unless you have taken steps to do so. So, there are a few "things" to cause this unwanted operation.
For my sanity, I would replace the GFI breaker, first. That may cure the whole problem-BUT you do need to check out your system grounding.
ol' bill
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
Chewelah , Washington
Yes I am on shore power here at my RV park In Rancho Mirage. I have a 30amp RV surge protector plugged into the power pedistal and into that I have my 30 amp coach plug. I leave my rear stabilizer pads on the ground to help make a good grounding source for the trailer. What you guys are saying is the presents of water doesn't play a big part of my problem with the GFI plugin plate right there by the bathroom sink. Does any of you who have replied got any idea what breaker I need to replace that old one? Can I get one at any Home Depot or do I need to go to a stealership to buy one? Thanks for all your help
dan50w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Just take it out and go to Home Depot or Lowe's and see if they have the same one. Whenever I have to replace a breaker, I take it with me to make sure it matches.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #9
_

. , .
mucho info on geee'eef'cee eyez here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...lks-21082.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Boy howdy, I guess I'm not the only one with GFI problems - I've had run ins with several of those Government Funded Institutions in my day...say what...OH, you're talking about THOSE GFI's, those funny lookin' circuit breakers in the AC panel with the 'trip' button on them...

I to have had ours 'pop' for seemingly no reason - I'm going to have to bite the bullet to wedge my noggin down there between the toilet and lower bath cabinet to see if I can pop that critter out for replacement - it's way down on my 'to do' list, this time of year!

Seems like the only time that GFI didn't 'trip' was when I was taking a bath while the wife was making toast on the bath counter (don't ask) and the toaster fell onto my lap... Now that's a visual you don't want to explore...let's just say I don't have curly hair any more...
Old 12-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Before you change out the breaker take the tooth brush to another GFI in the house and test it there.

If the problem goes with the brush reread my earlier comment about starting charge current on equipment with a capacitor across the line.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Another option would be to replace the GFCI breaker with a regular one, and then replace the bathroom outlet with a GFCI outlet. Might be cheaper than buying a new GFCI breaker. It would also be a tad easier to reset the outlet when it pops than resetting the breaker. You could wire the GFCI to outlet protect the downstream outlets, or, if none of the downstream outlets are in a wet area, you could bypass the GFCI protection.

This is assuming that the breaker feeds the bathroom outlet first before going to other outlets. If the wiring from the breaker goes to another outlet first, that’s the outlet to replace with the GFCI outlet in order to maintain full GFCI protection on that circuit.

Chris
Minno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I have an '07 that popped way too regularly. Finally, I simply replaced the breaker and haven't had a bit of trouble since - and that's been all summer long. Perhaps, it'll start again next summer but for now, it has been absolutely no problem. Worked for me. Good luck!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Pilgram...your 'quote' line in your posts is very close to one of Mark Twain's quotables..."It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."...a favorite of many...

So many of Mark Twain's quotes are as 'meaningful' today as they were when he made em'...

Here's a site that has most all of em'...Mark Twain quotations

Ray