Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Hampton , Illinois
Fix for shower door sag

Our shower door started to sag and became difficult to open without having to pull up on the whole door. This happened after only a year on our new 27FB Globetrotter, and we'd had a similar problem on a previous AS. I'd read several other posts on trying to adjust the hinge or raise the whole door but they all sounded rather difficult and after trying to remove the door, I gave up on those solutions. The shower and door frame seemed solid and still square, so I started guessing that he door itself was no longer a rectangle and was becoming a parallelogram.

I was able to still 'lift' the whole door a fraction of an inch so I found some spacers to fit under the outer edge of the door (opposite the hinge) and got the door closed after lifting it. After the next 100 mile drive (not necessarily bumpy) I found the the interference with the frame was less. On the next trip, I was able to increase the height of the spacers and got even more clearance and the door opened freely. The next trip with a slightly larger spacer seemed to have the door back to the original configuration with even clearance across the whole bottom.

It's a little bit of a hassle to remember to position the spacer before each trip, but it's been worth it for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2435.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	404046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2436.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	404047  

bimmersbeercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Put the spacer under the hinge, it will hold the door up better

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #3

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Put one under each end even better yet.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:40 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Hampton , Illinois
Sag fix

At first, I couldn't get a spacer under the hinge that would lift the door high enough to avoid the clearance on the opposite side. Apparently our door had deformed enough that the side opposite the hinge was much lower.

By supporting the door with only the spacer on the opposite side during transport, then each bump in the road straightens the door out just a bit.

If I only had a spacer on the hinge side, I'm afraid the door would sag back to the problem position again.
bimmersbeercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:25 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
The screw that runs through hinge bar at the TOP of the frame is the failure point, havent seen one not bend ,sag and tear plastic bushing up yet.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote

« Help! | Top | Toilet »