Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2023, 05:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Dometic 300 series toilet bowl leak

We have a 2019 FC FBQ and have a leak in the toilet intake valve. I have read several posts concerning this problem but have not been able top determine if it is necessary to remove the toilet bowl to change this valve. Since the bowl is so close to the bathroom wall I think that I may have to remove the entire bowl. Any suggestions?

Thanks......
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB "Blanch"
Two Dogs in Tow
lsawye01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I don't have the same trailer, but I cannot imagine that you need to remove the toilet for this repair. The part is not big. Easy to do.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
99 times out of 100 the leak will be from the foot valve you mention. If it is not, then take a look at this leak where my leak was from the internal seal between the upper and lower parts of the toilet bowl.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...se-232089.html

The valve you refer to is around $30 and easy to replace once you get it out. As you referenced, it is difficult to access but doable. For me, I set up a mirror behind my toilet to be able to see the 2 screws that need to be removed. It was easier for me to use a wrench socket to remove them as opposed to trying to line up the slot for the screwdriver.

Sometimes the factory will not even install the screws. Once the screws are removed, there is an upper and lower tab that needs to be snapped out to remove. I would just put a small rag on the floor as well to capture any water that my leak out. I would add the screws back if they were not there originally to secure it.

If you have to replace the toilet bowl it is not hard to do.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:14 AM   #4
EDuprey

2022 25' Globetrotter
Brownstown , Michigan
I also just replaced my toilet valve yesterday on my 2023 GT. It was a very minor leak but I knew it had to be fixed. In lieu of taking this warranty issue back to dealer and god knows how long that would take I just ponied up the $45 and replaced it myself. I removed the top screw (did not see a bottom screw) and then released the clips and out it came. When I went to install the new unit I noticed it had 2 screws! My bottom screw was never installed hence not a snug enough fit. Put both screws in the new valve and no leak. I now have an extra valve 😀

2023 Globetrotter 25FBT
300W Solar, 300AH BB Batteries, Victron 3000W Inverter, CerboGX, & Charge Controllers, LevelMate Pro, Peplink Router, Victron AC to DC Charger
TV: 2023 Expedition Max w/HD Tow Package
Eduprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:38 AM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduprey View Post
I also just replaced my toilet valve yesterday on my 2023 GT. It was a very minor leak but I knew it had to be fixed. In lieu of taking this warranty issue back to dealer and god knows how long that would take I just ponied up the $45 and replaced it myself. I removed the top screw (did not see a bottom screw) and then released the clips and out it came. When I went to install the new unit I noticed it had 2 screws! My bottom screw was never installed hence not a snug enough fit. Put both screws in the new valve and no leak. I now have an extra valve 😀
Not directly related to the OP concern but you might want to see if you can get reimbursed by AS for the defective valve. They might say yes.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 05:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Hooper , Utah
Replacement values are cheap

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a link to AMAZON where you can purchase the valve. It is $10.00 now, but was only about $4.00 a couple years ago. If you look at the picture on AMAZON you will see the two clips on the side of the valve that hold it in place. It is not difficult to press these clips in on your current toilet and pull it out. You would need a ring-type clamp to attach the end of your hose to the new valve.

If you purchase the valve from a RV store, they will charge you a MUCH higher price. I always carry a spare valve in my trailer....just in case I need one. Winter can crack the valve if any water if left in the toilet tubing; and than pools into the valve.

Good Luck
albret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Lakeway , Texas
Thanks to All

Just a note to say thanks to all that replied to my original question about
repairing my toilet bowl link...Replacement of the inlet valve was made easy thanks to all your posts. must admit that you need to be somewhat of a contortionist to get the old valve out. Like others I had only one screw holding the valve in place...I want to think that one fell out somewhere in our travels and not that the factory just gave up trying to put the bottom one in place.
Thanks again to all that replied.

Lary
2019 Flying Cloud 27FB "Blanch"
Two Dogs in Tow
lsawye01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:04 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Thanks for the Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by albret View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a link to AMAZON where you can purchase the valve. It is $10.00 now, but was only about $4.00 a couple years ago. If you look at the picture on AMAZON you will see the two clips on the side of the valve that hold it in place. It is not difficult to press these clips in on your current toilet and pull it out. You would need a ring-type clamp to attach the end of your hose to the new valve.

If you purchase the valve from a RV store, they will charge you a MUCH higher price. I always carry a spare valve in my trailer....just in case I need one. Winter can crack the valve if any water if left in the toilet tubing; and than pools into the valve.

Good Luck
Nice to know the valve can be purchased. I had a leak, since it was under warranty, and the mothership replaced the entire toilet.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 06:37 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Maidstone , Vermont
Just went through the same repair yesterday.

Since we’re on the road, the price for the valve from a RV dealer was really high, but the repair is done, and now to add a spare to the kit (from Amazon this time)
R3mac is offline   Reply With Quote