Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Water Pump

I tried water pump for the first time on a 70 Overlander. It ran for perhaps 1 minute at most. Did not pick up its prime, then quit running. All fuses in 12 volt Univolt panel check out ok. Could it be fused in another place? Light on control panel does not come on when switch is turned on.
Thanks, Joe
Joe62984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
There is quite often an in line fuse holder right at the pump.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:19 AM   #3
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
The famous pump...

Hi joe;
I advice you to take the pump away the place and take off the 2 water tubes . Then connect it again to the power and try. Don't worry with lights panels, they often run down.
If no running, try with hand to help and see if nothing is wrong for the rotation of the arm on the valves.
You 'll certainly have to remove the old pump diaphragm if you don't want to see water in all your kitchen.

Good luck

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:22 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Water Pump

Thanks for the good advice. I was in luck, the pump had been replaced by previous owner, but found screen in suction line was cracked. Am replacing screen and installing inline fuse at the pump. Joe
Old 03-29-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet Obtaining and replacing water pump

I have a 1974 Sovereign. When we bought the trailer, the hoses under the sink were leaking and the water pump did not work so my husband took this out. The water tank under the sink remains in place. I would like to repair the hose that attached from the water tank to the potable water connection. Needless to say, we never used the water pump. What advantages are there of a water pump and if I should replace it? Someone told me that it should only be used when you have the potable water tank filled and if you are not connected to a water supply at an RV park. When should it be used?
Old 03-30-2004, 05:00 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I think you are correct in your thinking.A water pump's only value is to pump water from the fresh water tank. But I think it is pretty handy to have water available for use in between RV parks. Joe
Old 03-30-2004, 06:27 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeynstein
I have a 1974 Sovereign. When we bought the trailer, the hoses under the sink were leaking and the water pump did not work so my husband took this out. The water tank under the sink remains in place. I would like to repair the hose that attached from the water tank to the potable water connection. Needless to say, we never used the water pump. What advantages are there of a water pump and if I should replace it? Someone told me that it should only be used when you have the potable water tank filled and if you are not connected to a water supply at an RV park. When should it be used?
We use our pump when we stop at a rest area, of if we do a quick overnite somewhere. Of course you need to have water in the tank to be able to do that. We have used our mobile bathroom on several occasions when the rest area bathrooms were foul or the lines too long, or even in areas where there was no rest area. I like the ability to be able to go without hookups on occasion. Eventually I plan on the dual Honda generator system, then I won't need hookups.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Thanks guys for the advice. Guess this will be another thing on my 'to do' list. Just trying to get my old AS up to par. Learning alot though! Does anyone have photos of how they have placed or replaced a water pump? My husband took it out and will not have time to replace it, so I am now the 'handyman' and need all the instruction I can get--------
Old 03-31-2004, 08:02 AM   #9
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
water pump in Campground in FRANCE

Hi there;
Of course, I use my water pump on the road, when there is no campgrounds so i use it too, when I'm in the campground, because, in FRANCE, and i think in Europe, there is NO faucet in each place to connect the water to the Airstream... It the same situation for the black water; no connection in the ground . Our campgrounds are not so sophiticated and equiped as yours, in USA.Only electricity with low amp. Just enough for the A/C (6 to 10 amp...).

When I' went in KOA campgrounds with my A/S to jacksonville, Fla, for shipping to FRANCE, it was the first time I saw connections for clear water and black/ grey water .

So you see that it's necessarry for us to have the pumpwater in good order, even in campgrounds. Last summer, with the hot weather, there was forest fires near the campground, in the south of FRANCE, and the french authorities decided to cut of the electricity power and the water too, for the firefighters, during 3 days...
I was very happy to have water in my tank, toilets too , battery for the lights and lpg for the fridge... I was the only one in the campground...
Thank you Airstream.

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:56 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
water pump

Sounds like you are camping most of the time with France not having hook-ups---it must have been great finding the good ole' KOA'S!
Old 03-31-2004, 10:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

UNHAPPY CONSEQUENCES OF WATER PUMP INSTALLATION

I own a '62 Bambi which is in near original condition. The air pressurizer which created the water flow in this model had seized and was not replaceable. I reluctantly agreed to replacing it with an on demand water pump and a new plastic water tank because this would work better with the pump, would be lighter and less likely to leak. So far OK but when I got my Bambi back I found that the hose connection at the hitch end of the trailer had been replaced by a glued on square white plastic lid which I have to lift before inserting the hose directly into the new water tank. It looks totally out of place. The rv center - a reputable outfit with plenty of experience and knowledge of vintage trailers - tell me there is no alternative. They have also installed a new city service water inlet on the side. This is at least aluminum but why do I need two? I am quite depressed (read pretty angry) about the plastic thing - is there any reason why I cannot reinstall the old connection, which I still have, and use that??

Any suggestions? Thanks
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:57 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
You may want to ask Andy. Read other forums. This guy is an expert on everything and can give great advice!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 05:38 AM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Rosemary,

I cannot see why you could not use the OEM Airstream water inlet. The only thing you will need to do is to drill a small hole in the cap so the pump running does not create a vacuum. ( if you have a solid cap)

The city water inlet needs to be there since the old system hooked the water up to the tank inlet. Without the city water inlet you would need to keep filling the tank from a hose to use the trailer. The new tanks cannot take the input pressure from the hose and "hold it back" so don't try to use it like you did before. The new tank is just a reservoir, designed to hold the contents, period. If your current OEM water cap has the faucet threaded in you could leave it like that and just open the faucet to let air in.

The only problem is if the tank they installed has a nipple large enough to that the hose form the fill pipe you have.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:01 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info, I'll try to reattach it. If that does not work will go to Andy for better cover.
Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote