Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Freeport , Maine
Replace early '60s water heater

Good Day everyone,

I am putting my nose to the grindstone and getting the hot water to work in my 1962 Flying Cloud. Presently, I have a Vaillant Superieur heater. It is a beautiful unit and I would love to keep it. The problem is that when it is running it won't stop. The burner heads look like a jet engine and the water is turned to super heated steam in a matter of seconds. Someone suggested that bladder in the valve my have gotten dry and brittle, but I took it apart last weekend and didn't find this to be the case.

So, I am looking around for a replacement. Vintage Airstream suggests the Paloma PH12. This would almost look like the one that is there now. I see that it only is offered in natural gas and not propane. I have also looked at PrecisionTemp RV500, but would have to cut out the exterior of the trailer to install this, which I really would rather not do.

Has anyone replaced a water heater in a Flying Cloud. What was done to make it work?

Steve
1954 Romany Cruiser
# 4517
smcpheters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Freeport , Maine
To update my progress.

I've returned the heater to the closet. I must have knocked some depris loose which clogged the pilot light. Used some air to blow it out. Lit it and waa-laa, it is working. I turn the water on and it all the heads fire. I turn the water off and it drops back to just the pilot, cool!!!

Little steps.

Now, in my efforts I think I may have clogged more than just the pilot. the water at best reaches luke warm for a couple minutes. The gas sounds like it is sputtering. When the valve was stuck on, you couldn't touch the water coming out of the faucet. It is coming out of the closet again.

When wife left with her sister she asked that I don't blow myself up. :-)
1954 Romany Cruiser
# 4517
Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcpheters View Post
Good Day everyone,

I am putting my nose to the grindstone and getting the hot water to work in my 1962 Flying Cloud. Presently, I have a Vaillant Superieur heater. It is a beautiful unit and I would love to keep it. The problem is that when it is running it won't stop. The burner heads look like a jet engine and the water is turned to super heated steam in a matter of seconds. Someone suggested that bladder in the valve my have gotten dry and brittle, but I took it apart last weekend and didn't find this to be the case.

So, I am looking around for a replacement. Vintage Airstream suggests the Paloma PH12. This would almost look like the one that is there now. I see that it only is offered in natural gas and not propane. I have also looked at PrecisionTemp RV500, but would have to cut out the exterior of the trailer to install this, which I really would rather not do.

Has anyone replaced a water heater in a Flying Cloud. What was done to make it work?

Steve
Please be advised that Airstream never installed "hot water heaters".

But they are guilty of installing "cold water heaters".

When you change out the cold water heater, stay with a national well known brand, so that you don't get any surprises should you need any parts from a local source.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Freeport , Maine
Whoa, Andy, that's funny. You should quit your day job and go on the comedy circuit.

All humor aside, what would you install if you were to replace it?
1954 Romany Cruiser
# 4517
Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Whoa, Andy, that's funny. You should quit your day job and go on the comedy circuit.

Hi Steve & Barb
Take it from your Maniac Airstream freinds here and install a Suburban 6 gallon with DSI (direct spark ignition) and you will be able to turn cold into hot in a snap.

I installed one seven years ago and it works great.

Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

You can install a 10 gallon Atwood water heater.

You can choose just LPG, or LPG and Electric, or LPG with DSI (direct spark ignition), and you could down size to a 6 gallon, if you wish.

New water heaters don't use as much of the exterior area as they once did, so you can add an adapter plate to cover the large hole in the trailer and then install the water heater in that plate.

Why Atwood?

They are still the most popular water heater.

When you own an Airstream, a little humor always goes a long way, towards being a "happier" camper.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote