Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Mexico City , MX
Hot water problem

I just finished replacing the new water heater and changed some of the old cooper pipes with new plastic ones in my 1970 Safari. when connected to the water city line everything works great but when working with the pump and water tank the water "jumps" between hot and cold water!
Maybe i misconnected a line?
Thanx
Luis.
Lfemat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Could you explain "jumps"? Are the hot and cold reversed when running off the pump?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mexico City , MX
The water runs smoothly but it keeps switching from cold to hot as if the water pump pumped cold water and then hot water and so on.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Do you have a hot water heater bypass valve(s). If you do, make sure the "center one" os closed and the input and outlet ones are open.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mexico City , MX
No, I donīt have a bypass valve
Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Hot water problem

Greetings Lfemat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfemat View Post
The only thing that occurs to me is a possible explanation for what is happening if you are not totally disconnected from your city water source. If your city water hose is still connected, and particularly if the city water suppy faucet isn't completely shut off . . . you may be getting alternating city water from the hose (I would assume quite warm to hot if you are currently in Mexico City and the hose sitting out in the sun) . . . with water from your coach's tank which would likely be considerably cooler . . . this could also point to a problem with the pump as it shouldn't be operable when connected to city water.

Good luck with solving your problem!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfemat View Post
That seems weird; I though most Airstreams had one, to separate the water heater from the rest of the water system for winterizing, so you can fill the rest of the system with antifreeze while leaving the water heater dry. Still, you should know your own system, if if you say you don't…

Next question… Do you have a mixing valve? I mean one right at the outlet side of the water heater. At least for the Atwood water heaters that Airstream uses in some of its models, it stretches a 6-gallon hot water capacity to 9 gallons by means of a mixing valve that mixes hot/cold at a 2/1 ratio, and makes up for it by heating the water to a higher temperature. All this even before the water gets to any faucet. Then, at the faucet, you can mix in additional cold water to fine-tune the temperature to your liking.

It seems like a problem with the mixing valve could explain the results you're getting.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mexico City , MX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That seems weird; I though most Airstreams had one, to separate the water heater from the rest of the water system for winterizing, so you can fill the rest of the system with antifreeze while leaving the water heater dry. Still, you should know your own system, if if you say you don't…
Since I live on Mexico and the temperature rarely drops below freezing I removed the bypass valve, maybe the problem is as you said in the mixing but the strange thing is that when working with the city line the temperature flow is constant!