Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Eccotemp L5 Portable Water Heater

I did a search and did not find any posts regarding this product. I am interested in knowing if anyone is familiar with or has seen this product in use? I have found a U-tube video where it has been hooked to a back fence outside connected to a shower head for use to wash dog. It connects to a propane tank. Wonder about its use in trailers as I have read some threads about tankless, but they were all very expensive. This one is not!!!

Have also seen on Walmart ad, a Coleman camping portable hot water heater, but it has a faucet attached.

I got fed up when we spent money to replace our old Atwood and after 2yrs of faithful winterizing, came to trailer one day to find the Atwood tank had split. We hardly used it and drained it out, but there it was with big split.

I want to consider something I might be able to de-couple and take out of trailer in the winter.

Thanks for your thoughtful replies and any info you might have.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I'm going to post a pic and website info as Lewster was nice enough to send me a PM on this. I want something I can remove from trailer in winter, but still utilize the fresh water tank & 12v pump, if possible. With all the great minds here on the forums, not to mention the many talents, I hope I can generate some thoughts on if this could be used. I, of course, do not want to keep it inside, but think there might, maybe be a way to set it up safely??!! Thats what I hope anyway. Hope to hear from more of you. Thanks

List Price: $149.95
Our Price: $114.50
You Save $35.45!

Availability: In stock soon. Order now to get in line. First come first served.
Product Code: L5

Description Technical Specs The Eccotemp L5 is the hottest portable tankless unit on the market! Endless hot water - wherever you are! The Eccotemp L5 unit is perfect for campsites, cabins, or simply around the house. There is no reservoir to deplete. Wash your car, wash your boat, take a hot shower, wash the dogs or the horse. You can add it to a pressure washer for an even better cleaning!. The 2 "D" cell battery ignition starts the flame only when water is running, so there's no chance of overheating.
Features
  • The ideal operating range is 20~80 PSI. The system also works great on modified water systems such as a 12 volt pump. Total dimensions are 14.5" tall, 11.5" wide, 4.5" deep and weighs about 12 pounds. Some of the other benefits:
  • 1 year manufacturer warranty on the unit
  • 37,500 BTU
  • Portable
  • 17 minute automatic safety shutoff timer
  • Includes CSA regulator for use with standard 20 lbs grill propane tank
  • Battery igniter means no electricity needed
  • On/Off shower head included
  • Garden hose adapter included

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Can't help myself, I'm putting a different one here. They both indicate they are usable in RV situations as long as ventilated. I really hope to get some ongoing dialogue here...

Marey®5 Liter NG & LPG Power Gas Tankless Water Heater 34500 BTU
No electrical connection necessary - LPG & NG 1.47 - 2.0 GPM

Model - 10-D Power Gas (NG or LPG)
The Marey® 5 Liter Power Gas Tankless Water Heater delivers 34500 Btu/h and saves you energy and money. It comes in both Natural Gas (NG) and Liquid Propane Gas (LPG). It's a compact unit that does not require venting, but will require that it be placed in a well ventilated area. This unit is typically used in smaller homes where one faucet is being used at one time, offices, boats, offices, cabins, boats and RVs. What makes it unique is that it requires NO ELECTRICAL hook-up. The pilot ignites by battery! Connects to standard LPG tank, like you'd use for your BBQ grill.

Owner's manual Specifications
Valve Replacement Guide

Old 06-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I'm really sad that I haven't gotten any more response to my query

Here was my thought. Keeping the tankless unit outside, but close to the trailer, I want to hook it up to the water lines within the trailer. Does anyone think this might be possible? One of them indicates it will work w/12v pump and both work w/propane. With all the knowledge here and many DIYSers, I have high hopes that someone might come up w/an idea?

One of the videos I watched showed one of these units hanging on a post or pole of some kind. I'm going to see if I can attach it on this thread.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Interesting concept. What's to keep one from putting it in the space where the Atwood heater is/was...(not sure about the amount of space needed)...the gas source would be there, the water source would be there, and 12v would be there. And it's vented, so...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Yea!!! now the ball is rolling....
I actually looked at some old pics I had in my photo gallery of the Atwood metal surround (where the firing components sit) that was rusted out. It has several holes for the lines to run thru to connect to the Atwood tank. So you and I are on the same page. I am going to call the #800 on the website for one of the units tomorrow to ask if it could be kept in that area when not being used. When camping I would open the outside hinged door, connect unit to various hoses, secure it in upright position and voila - maybe??? This is why I need more dialogue. Not all that familiar w/these or plumbing issues or other contingences. Any and all are most welcome to comment. I welcome the thoughts.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I tryed that, it needs a lot of ventalation ! they light up,and heat water fast
Now I am going to use it in my work shop. You should have no problem if its out side.just get some 5ft. dishwasher supply hoses, and some supply hose valves.at H.D. and a propane hose. Just hook 'em' up
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
So when you are talking about ventilation, you are saying it should not stay in the confined area of the Atwood surround space? (where firing components are currently)? I don't think either of these units would fit into that space in an upright position (maybe sideways, but then it would not be safe to use). One of them vents out the top - so I'm thinking as long as it is upright and out of the elements, but close to the trailer so tubing can reach....

I'm going to try to attach the video I saw, if I can find it.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
u tube mideo of Marey Tankless

I'm hoping this will come up...

Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
u tube video of Marey Tankless

I'm hoping this will come up...

Old 07-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I'm baaaaccckkk
Went out to CW this past weekend to look at the EccotempL5 in person. They were sold out and backordered I have gotten the Eccotemp #800 and found that they have been swamped w/orders so it will probably be several weeks before CW will get any. I can have one put aside once they arrive, but will be awhile before I get up close and personal.

One thing I wanted to clarify, if someone can. I was told while at CW that it is the 12v pump that will determine whether the incoming water will reach it's destination?? All of the videos of these units show them being used w/shower head right next to the unit. Since I am wanting to tie into existing water lines to run to kitchen sink & bath sink/shower from where the unit will be located outside, I was concerned about distance. But I was told several times that it does NOT matter how far away the faucet/shower head is, but does matter the pressure being sent by the pump. The EccotempL5 does best w/40psi, the EccotempL10 w/65psi. I can't remember or maybe never knew what the 12v pumps in our trailers will do - altho 40-60psi sounds right?? I've been told that an HVAC pro can probably answer any/all of my questions - what is HVAC???

Old 09-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
HVAC is Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning. I really like your idea here and I have the same one, but I am a long way from getting to re-plumbing yet. I am still working on frame repairs and replacing sub-floor. have you gotten any further with working through your idea to use this item?
cjohannesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Hey, thanks for responding to my ????. I love the way these posts go away for awhile, then pop back up! To answer you ???. No, I had 2 projects I wanted to get done this year (actually 3, including our new axle). The one I have taken on right now is getting some window protectors on our wrap windows. I think all the hail storms this year put a scare in me. I have talked w/several people about this WH idea, and it seems a very plausible one, just trying to make sure I have a better grasp of the whole plan. Maybe I will purchase one of these tankless units and make it to a rally. Many heads are definitely better than my one!!!!! If you go with it, please post here as I am very sure this is what we will get to eventually.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
video did it for me!

In my AS i have the standard water heater, and of course, I do not leave it on. So, it takes awhile to get hot water once we have arrived...and are ready to use some hot water-this unit or something like it will be in my trailer by jan '10-instant hot water is what it is all about. I see absolutely no reason why it cannot be put into the standard hwh space with appropriate mods. I am also considering a small electric tankless for in the galley-ya always want hot water when the unit aint on and you think maybe i'll wait awhile....you know what I mean. instant is a good answer to rv'ing.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
This is an interesting unit. I found one one www.productsthatsave.com for $102. There are at least two other posts about the Marey units here on the forums. My concerns (same concerns outlined on other threads) are:
*This unit is not rated for permanent RV use.
*At the price, it must be made in China. Do we really want explosive gas traveling through something made in China?
*It does not say it is waterproof but it is shown being used outside. Installing this thing inside the aluminum envelope and venting it somehow sounds risky to me.

I like the product and am thinking of ordering one just to see what it is all about--and to have around the house since we are in a hurricane prone area where a hot shower after a week without power is a good thing. My Atwood is on its last leg--old and rusty and about done. Tankless is a great idea if only avoid the freeze problems but making this thing work on an Airstream is chock full of challenges that would have to be overcome in order to operate in a guaranteed safe manner.
I, too, am interested to know where you go with this and how you work out these challenges and will monitor this post for your progress.
If I do order one, I will poke around with it and give you an update relative to its quality.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I'm really appreciating the replies and concerns being posted here. Actually, the tankless unit I will probably end up with is not the Marey, but the EccotempL5. It has production ties to the US (can't get to the details right now-will try to post later) and I have talked to the originator of this one. Plus they sell it at Camping World. I would love anyone who gets this done to post here with results, pics, any problems, etc. I would have loved to already be using one of these, but had to weigh out all and this project got put on hold.

As I mentioned in the beginning of this- I, for one, will not be putting the unit inside the trailer when in use. My plan is to connect to all existing water lines and propane, but to attach the actual unit outside (could have an extra outdoor shower that way, too). We want to be able to remove the unit during winter. I have been told the unit can be on it's side when not in use, so storage inside the trailer while moving is not an issue. I am thinking thru any contingincies regarding rain/hail/snow while unit is outside and how to deal w/wind. Those might be issues to address after they come up?! I am sure my plan is duable w/precautions taken.

Keep the ideas, questions and thought coming...that's what makes this forum so great.

PS Cantrell- the unit in "productsthatsave" is the Eccotemp. It seems the better of the 2 to me!
PS WMarsha - so, you got one? if so, which model? love to hear more!!!!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
Even though I am a good ways from installing the plumbing and water heater back into the gutted Airstream, I purchased the Eccotemp L5 via the web today so I could see it, touch it, and figure out a way to make this concept work.

Wish me luck.
cjohannesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Leigh.. I have a couple of thoughts... to actually plumb the heater, I'd just use a "bypass" system that is sold for winterizing the Atwood water heater.. use the bypass feature when not connected to the portable unit, and then turn the valves to divert water to it when in use. I'd also connect some "quick connect" ends to the lines that go to the heater to make it work. Water pressure shouldn't be an issue with the RV water pump... infact, one might find it works better using the pump vs. the land line. With higher water flows from land, the water may not have time to heat properly... the faster the water moves, the harder it is to raise in temp when in contact with the burner.

A termination valve at the end of the propane line with a quick connect would be great... the problem would be finding the proper fitting that wouldn't leak. Maybe a plumbing supply store would have a fitting that's used to hook up a outside BBQ to a house gas line?

I'm intrigued as well! I might use this concept when I get to the systems part of my '63 TW. I actually think one COULD mount it inside, as long as 1) it had adequate air supply and exhaust routes... 2) it needs to be REALLY well sealed from the interior to eliminate CO release inside.... however.... I like the space saving thought of having a pole or stick to mount it too outside.

Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #19
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
cjohannesen - I am soo excited for you (and anxious to hear what you think!!) This will be our next project, altho we may have to wait till Spring now.

Marc - you are on the track that we are. We have a Bypass system in place already, and had it in use when we winterized the old Atwood, which is why we were very surprized when we opened up the trailer and found the Atwood tank split!!?? We are looking to take the old split water tank out this weekend, do a temp. seal on the opening for now and get started next Spring after looking into supplies we will need to make it happen. Now that somebody has purchased the unit we are looking at, we may all end up w/a blueprint to go by!!!

PS I have actually seen a couple of these units mounted w/in some traveling campers. One was a converted bus that had it vented up thru the roof and mounted back on the wall w/a clawfooted bathtub!! Crazy,huh!@!

Old 09-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Leigh,
I ordered the EccoTemp L5 and it arrived Friday. Although have not hooked it up and run it, I took the front panel off to examine the construction and quality. It seems fairly well made and engineered. A concern of mine was that it was made overseas in cheapland. As it turns out this unit is made in Summerville, about 30 minutes from our home here in Charleston. There appear to be some imported parts on it but overall, I am pleased, especially for the price.
Our old Atwood is still functioning for the time being so will probably ride it until it drops but I am definitely interested in how you and Johannsen make this fly. I will go to school on you two!!
My initial thought is to go off the tracks completely and mount it above the tongue area so that it can be outside but with in a protected place. It only weighs 11 pounds so weight not a problem. Means some serious waterline rerouting, though but wouldn't be chancing anything by having it inside the trailer. Just an idea worth fooling around with.
We will keep on with this until we have a good solution.
Good Luck.