Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Can I leave my pump on?

Hi Guys,

Took my 86 29" Sovereign out for our maiden voyage this past weekend. It was great but I wasn't sure about the water pump. It's the original Shurflo series 200. It comes on strong but then it sounds slower and softer and eventually it just stops. My dad told me this was normal. But I wonder, should I only turn on the pump when I need water, then shut it straight off? The pump just sounds like it is going to die when I leave it on. Any advice?

Rod
72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Water pumps make noise, your dad is correct. We leave ours on when we are around the trailer. We turn it off when we take off and leave for the day. We do that just in case we have a leak so we don't return to a flooded trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Rod,

That is the same way my water pump sounds and I believe it is normal. I turn the pump on when I need water then turn it right off. Just in case a leak develops in the 31 year old plumbing I don't want to pump the fresh water out into the interior of my home. Otherwise likely doesn't matter.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #4
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
The slower and slower sound is the pump getting close to the pre-set pressure.
Once it is reached, pump stops until you use it again.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If your Shurflo continues to run for a short time after you shut the water off, you may have some air somewhere in the system. If the system is purged of air, the pump should shut of within a second or two of turning off the faucet. If you don't use your shower, the vertical pipes to the shower faucets will sometimes have some air trapped, and cause the pump to run for a few seconds until the air is compressed. Turn on the pump and then turn on the shower to "bleed" the air from that part of the system. Your pump will then most likely shut off right when you turn the faucet off. Learned that on the houseboat we had for 27 years.

When using water from our tank, we leave the pump switch on unless we are leaving the trailer for the day. Leaving it on will show up any small leaks you might have so that you can repair them. With the switch on, the pump should not run.....ever..unless you turn a faucet on. If it comes on at all it's because the pressure in the system has been relieved. Either a faucet is not shut off completely, or you have a small leak. Finding and repairing a leak is far better using the pump rather than when you are hooked up to domestic water.

Not that we have ever had a water leak, mind you.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
Right on Jim. It's the best way to find if you have a leak in your system. I found a leak way too late at the city water inlet located inside the night stand. It was on the city side of the pressure valve so even the pump wouldn't have told me about that one. I turn our pump on about twice a month just to test for leaks and we're full timers. Oak floors and water don't mix well.
FlaAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster
Not that we have ever had a water leak, mind you.
Yeah, riiiight...
I haven't seen a pump damaged from leaving it on while traveling, but I have seen a line start leaking on the road, and pumped all 45 gallons of water onto the floor, and onto the road. Best leave the pump off while driving or towing, and turn it back on when you get where you are going, or if you need water.
Also, as indicated above, the pump running slower before it turns off is normal.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
On when in use, on sometimes when we are in the trailer, but turned off at all other times.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote