Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
1970 Sov Water heater leaking - tank replacement?

Finally have water and hot water for my A/S.
It sure was nice to take a shower in the unit for the first time.
This unit is parked at my hunting camp.
But, I noticed it has a drip coming out underneath the water heater. I have verified that I cannot find a source other than the tank must be leaking. I cleaned and have the heater working great.
I know a new Atwood LP unit, 10 gallon runs minumum around $360. I've seen replacement 6 gallon tanks on Ebay. Atwood cannot verify that the replacement 10 gallon tank they have today will replace the unit in my 1970.
Anyone know?
Thanks,
Charles Rahm, Dallas, TX
chasrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
When we were measuring hot water heaters for our 72 Sovereign, we discovered that no new unit is the exact same dimensions as the 10 gal unit that was in there. All of the new 10 gal ones were slightly smaller, with the 6 gal units being smaller still. I think no matter what new unit you get, it’s going to be slightly smaller, which means you’ll need to patch around the opening a bit. If your current cover it in good shape, I would think you could mount that onto a new 10 gal unit fairly easily, which would not only save you the cost of a new cover, but also cover any patching you needed to do around the opening.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you have a Bowen 10 gallon the Atwood should slide right into place without problem. The changes I had to make were cutting the rub rail back about 3/4 inch on the rear side to accommodate the new door.

Also, changed out the door from the original stainless (hated to do so) but keeping it required a lot of modifications to get it to fit. Some here have done that successfully - it wasn't a task I had time for. Ended up painting the door that came with it - it looks OK. No skinning of the opening was required.

Purchased ours here - it's a gas/110 model which I don't see listed on their site right now. Have fun....

Atwood RV Water Heaters

(If you take the stainless door off and don't want it do not throw it away. someone here will want it or you can sell it on Ebay.)
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
clarification

Thank you for your ideas. I understand I can slide a G10-2 in the hole and it will be a reasonable fit.

My question was if you can buy a replacement tank rather than the entire unit?

Thanks.
chasrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If it's an Atwood the answer is yes. I'm not sure it would be cost effective. There is a 6 gallon replacement tank on Ebay right now - $211.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrahm View Post
Thank you for your ideas. I understand I can slide a G10-2 in the hole and it will be a reasonable fit.

My question was if you can buy a replacement tank rather than the entire unit?

Thanks.
Not a good move.

First of all, you will probably destroy the gas valve, by just trying to get it out of the old tank.

After 39 years, you can bet that it's seized.

That happens about 99 percent of the time.

Then the rest of the parts are 39 years old as well.

They have already out lived their usefullness.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote