Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
Thetford Collector (original 67' Caravel)

Well I got the original dump valve off this weekend and all is planned to replace but I've run into another situation....................on the original "thetford collector" T fitting, it's the original one and someone before me cut off a portion of the bottom where the drain cap would go and theres just a cut pipe. Therefore I have no ears etc. to attach the bayonet drain cap. Figured this was easy enough just go to RV store and get and extension, etc. Well I went to RV store today and nothing fits. Obviously what todays 3" fittings and pipe are different diameters than the old stuff. Any solutions how to fix this so I can put a drain cap. I think I can make something work if I have to but wondering if anyone else ran into this problem.

Thx, Steven
Old 04-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-Caravel View Post
Well I got the original dump valve off this weekend and all is planned to replace but I've run into another situation....................on the original "thetford collector" T fitting, it's the original one and someone before me cut off a portion of the bottom where the drain cap would go and theres just a cut pipe. Therefore I have no ears etc. to attach the bayonet drain cap. Figured this was easy enough just go to RV store and get and extension, etc. Well I went to RV store today and nothing fits. Obviously what todays 3" fittings and pipe are different diameters than the old stuff. Any solutions how to fix this so I can put a drain cap. I think I can make something work if I have to but wondering if anyone else ran into this problem.

Thx, Steven
Hi Steven, I did run into the "Thetford nothing fitting" problem when I did my restore. I switched to Valterra. That way I can find fittings almost anyplace.

Is this what you are looking for ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3140 (Medium).JPG
Views:	174
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	78035
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-Caravel View Post

Thx, Steven
We routinely repair the collectors, even sometimes when pieces are missing.

We also have a aftermarket replacement.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
Yep thats the exact piece I'm talking about.......... The previous owner cut it off just above the drain cap ears leaving about 3/4" of just straight pipe below that square flange. Although not original I think I've come up with a $4 fix without having to spend money for the new collector, etc. I went ahead on my way home and bought the $4, 3" pipe fitting that has the drain cap ears at the local RV shop. It's a little oversize so it will fit around and over the cut pipe and sit flush on the square flange and my friend owns a body shop and I'm gonna have him fiberglass it to the square flange. Although not origianal it's a easy fix for me and I know it will work fine just for a drain cap. I also bought the $4 rubber 2" pipe coupler at Lowe's to reattach my gray water line I had to cut to remove valve and collector assembly
Old 04-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
That sounds like a good fix to me.

FYI - I do not need this piece anymore. If it turns out you need it, let me know. I am willing to part with it.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
What would you want for it? I think what I plan on doing will work but knowing me I'll lay it down in driveway while working on trailer and run the thing over with my truck...LOL. That could be a possible back up plan.

Tags
caravel