Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Slide Gate Valve sizes for gray vs. black

The Valterra gray water tank slide gate valve handle broke, but is still serviceable. I'm planning on replacing both gray and black valves but I'm not sure if they are the same. I'm seeing some information that the black tank slide is 3" and gray is 1 1/2". Is this correct? I thought they looked to be the same size.

Mine has the 4-bolt on the gray, I think black is the same. It looks like you just take out the 4 bolts (tanks are empty), pull out the valve and old seals. Put two new seals in, slide in the new valve and put the bolts back, then check for leaks.

I'm just not sure about the sizes.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The black and gray water valves on our 2005 19' Bambi are different sizes, but I read that they are the same on some larger Airstreams; so you should look at those on your model. Personally, I would remove the old valves before purchasing the new ones, just to make sure I got the right ones.

Replacement is pretty simple, but not necessarily easy. The work area is tight, the valves are usually stuck in place pretty good, and it's stinky and messy.

Suggest you flush tanks thoroughly, perhaps with a little New Dawn, Pine-Sol or Lysol.

I remember reading somewhere on AirForums that one person drilled a hole in the valve body, so they could oil the shaft. Perhaps, someone will post the link; as I think that might be something to consider while you have the new parts in hand. (Sorry, I couldn't find the link.)
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Depends on the unit, typically the black are 3" and the gray are 1-1/2". But I have seen 3" on some gray tanks. You are probably going to have to get up underneath and measure them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The black and gray water valves on our 2005 19' Bambi are different sizes, but I read that they are the same on some larger Airstreams; so you should look at those on your model. Personally, I would remove the old valves before purchasing the new ones, just to make sure I got the right ones.

Replacement is pretty simple, but not necessarily easy. The work area is tight, the valves are usually stuck in place pretty good, and it's stinky and messy.

Suggest you flush tanks thoroughly, perhaps with a little New Dawn, Pine-Sol or Lysol.

I remember reading somewhere on AirForums that one person drilled a hole in the valve body, so they could oil the shaft. Perhaps, someone will post the link; as I think that might be something to consider while you have the new parts in hand. (Sorry, I couldn't find the link.)
I was hoping to get the parts before I went to the storage lot to do the work. I hate to get something started and then stop to go out for something.

At the Valterra site they say to lube with silicone on the shaft when it's pulled out. They say never to use WD-40 as it will remove the lube from the inside of the slide.

Thanks for the reply
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Depends on the unit, typically the black are 3" and the gray are 1-1/2". But I have seen 3" on some gray tanks. You are probably going to have to get up underneath and measure them.

Aaron
Probably the safest but not the fastest.
I'll pull them both and go shopping

Thanks
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 06-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Probably the safest but not the fastest.
I'll pull them both and go shopping

Thanks
Or order both from Amazon and send the one(s) back that don't fit...

I have pretty much given up on purchasing anything from anyone where I live, they never have it in stock but will be glad to order it for you. In the past week I have had to order: rebuild kit for two different lawnmower carbs, cabinet handles, hinges for a different cabinet, tire for a tractor and the list goes on. No one seems to stock anything anymore. None of the items that I needed were special or unique, just not stocked.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Or order both from Amazon and send the one(s) back that don't fit...

I have pretty much given up on purchasing anything from anyone where I live, they never have it in stock but will be glad to order it for you. In the past week I have had to order: rebuild kit for two different lawnmower carbs, cabinet handles, hinges for a different cabinet, tire for a tractor and the list goes on. No one seems to stock anything anymore. None of the items that I needed were special or unique, just not stocked.

Aaron
I'm looking at two on Amazon. The 1 1/2" appears to have a plastic gray handle. The 3" has a stainless steel handle. For each of these the Amazon "Frequently bought together" section shows the other. I'm guessing that the gray tank uses a 1 1/2" fitting and not a 2". At Camping World there is a video by Valterra that says the most common is 1 1/2" for gray and 3" for black. Lube the stem with silicone paste or spray, not WD-40

Both of these say they have replaceable handles, but none are offered. The current gray slide is a little stiff, black slides OK. At our last stop before leaving Florida this spring the gray handle broke just above the stem. It still works but there's some leaking so I may as well replace both. I think they are original.

I like to research online to make sure I am looking at the right parts, then use the part number to check pricing. If the part is available locally I'll get it there just so I don't have to wait. I agree it's getting harder to find exactly what you need locally, especially when you can get it in a couple of days with Amazon Prime.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8