Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2003, 08:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Replacing Black Tank 1966 Trade Wind

I recently purchased a 1966 24’ Trade Wind AS. The shell seems to be in good condition but there are many leaks in the plumbing and now it looks like there is some type of leak of the black water tank. My question is how to check the tank to decide if it needs to be replaced. I can see a lot of rust and some exposed Styrofoam near the tank drain. It seems my next step is to remove the some of the under belly in the rear and evaluate the degree of damage but I don’t want to remove anything I don’t need to. Any advice is appreciated. This is my 2nd week of demo and I’m a little nervous.
Pat66TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:43 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I would find out if you have a leak before you tear into it.

I would first rinse the tank with the dump valve open. Close the valve and fill with clear water. If it leaks it should not be too nasty this way.

If it leaks then you will need to pull the under bumper wrap, belly skin and tank pan. In that order. Wear eye protection 'cause the sheer volume of stuff in the underbelly will amaze you. The pan should drop straight down once the belly skin is removed. The tank is held in place by the pan. The pan and a styrofoam tray is what hold the tank up, so drain it before removing any bolts.

My experience on the 65 Safari I had was that the bottom of the pan rusts out form water entering through the bumper and the belly skin conceals the rust. If the tank does not leak, I would keep an eye on it, but only open it up if you are prepared to have a new pan custom made. If you need a new tank, I think Inland has them.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:42 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Brett,

I did just as you said the other day and it does leak but with the belly skin on I’m not sure where it is coming from. I'm suspicious of how securely the tank is in place, it maybe that the leak is coming from the drain into the tank and with the added weight of the waste in the tank it leaks. I have a lot of rust and I need to do the rest of what you suggested. I'll be taking the under bumper wrap and belly skin off in the next couple of days and do a better inspection of how well the tank is held in place.

Thanks
Pat66TW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags