Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2019, 07:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Mountain of TP

We just spent 2 weeks at a gathering. During this time, the organization brought in a septic company to suck the black tanks. However, I noticed that they didn't rinse tanks, just sucked them. As a result, our tank was never fully emptied and now I think I have the dreaded mound in the tank.

Any advice on how to deal with this is appreciated.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Maybe try filling the tank with warm water and Calgon and drive for awhile. Rinse and repeat?
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
A half tank of water, drive for awhile, fill the tank to the top with water and drain.

If that doesn't work then I would get a specific black tank chemical that breaks down toilet paper and allow it to work its magic for a few days.

I started to use a new product called Hammerhead Waste Digester this late summer but I don't have enough info yet for recommendation. I can say it has improved the smell issue we had in the black tank.
http://www.corrosionx.com/hammerhead.html
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Does your blank tank flush not work?
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You "think" you have the dreaded mound? Use a flashlight and look down the tube to see if you have a problem...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
You "think" you have the dreaded mound? Use a flashlight and look down the tube to see if you have a problem...

Just be sure to use a flashlight with a lanyard securely around your wrist. No point in making the problem worse...just sayin’
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Look for a dump station with a rinse hose long enough to reach into your toilet.

Circle the hose a little, water running, which should loosen anything lumped up, then dump your tanks and flush thoroughly.

Maggie
Old 10-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
I spent about 30 minutes at the dump station. I let the spray run continuously and I would stir with a stick through the toilet and then let it dump when it had more than 50% in it. took about 6 cycles. I also had to pick up the black hose and shake wads through it.

Ikky business, but we are back to working. I left it about 15% full through the spray head and hit the road. Everything works today.

And yeah, never had the mountain before. I didn't realize how shallow the tanks were (duh). the stir stick helped immensely
Old 10-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
You’re a brave dude - just remember to wipe that stick off real good before using it for roasting marshmallows.*

*this is a joke of course - I do it often on this topic - it’s my equivalent of Rodney’s signature “I get no respect”. I in no way endorse roasting marshmallows [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
You’re a brave dude - just remember to wipe that stick off real good before using it for roasting marshmallows.*

*this is a joke of course - I do it often on this topic - it’s my equivalent of Rodney’s signature “I get no respect”. I in no way endorse roasting marshmallows [emoji3]
After watching me deal with these things, the wife has pledged that she will never again complain about doing the dishes in the RV
Old 10-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Another alternative:

Spend the money on another campsite. Get one with full hookups. You can then spend the day filling and dumping without a line forming behind you at the dump station.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
After watching me deal with these things, the wife has pledged that she will never again complain about doing the dishes in the RV
Bingo!

Best solution is to drive/tow more and sit still less. Maybe Tony will give you a Pull-itzer prize?

Have you seen the movie RV? Go to time stamp 1:45 -- "Oh, Dude, that is nasty."

PS -- For comparison there is also the Fork in the black tank thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...nk-146797.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:58 AM   #13
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I’ve never tried it, but I’ve seen it reported here. Try driving with a half filled black tank with lots, maybe a bag or two of ice dumped in. I think this solution was recommended to try and get the sensor to read more accurately, but I think it might help reduce the mound also..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
There were some suggestions on the forum to put detergent, an aid like Borax, and some gallons of water to your tank, then drive to your next destination and dump. I did that and it was amazing how much TP washed out. I thought I had been cleaning well, but clearly I had a bunch of TP caked on the bottom. It is my fault because we usually dump before leaving the campground, each time, so I really never get a good swish on the bottom of the tank.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Never poop in a dry tank.

After dumping, add a couple of gallons of water to the tank.

Then poop at your pleasure.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post

Are you saying that marshmallows are really snowflakes and can't handle being made fun of?
Old 10-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A practice that will prevent toilet paper clogs is to not put toilet paper in the black tank to start with.

Lack of paper in there keeps everything moving smoothly.

Maggie
Old 11-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Somewhere in your waste line for emptying the black tank, there needs to be a transparent segment so you can see what's going through. I keep rinsing the black tank until the water flows without anything in it. Also, contrary to the instructions, I shut the drain valve after the first dump and let the rinse water accumulate. You're not going to over-fill the tank by letting the rinser go for 5 minutes. Then open the drain. I find that this clears out the solid stuff much more effectively.

Also, my wife and I use the RV toilet for "the solid stuff" only as a last resort. We found that almost all BLM and USFS campgrounds, if they have any facilities at all, have at least "pit toilets," (b.k.a. "outhouses"). That avoids the smell issue and minimizes the need for tank cleaning.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:20 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by billrector View Post
Maybe try filling the tank with warm water and Calgon and drive for awhile. Rinse and repeat?

My 3 cents here. EVERY time I dump the black, I run the flush hose if possible (not that great a flush in spite of a $100+ repair at the factory a few years ago) I fill the toilet full while the dump/flush is under way as well as 2 or 3 Homer buckets full of fresh water and serially pour it down the toilet with the dump valve open, and before I open the gray valve, which of course flushes the dump hose. I am pretty sure it carries away most of the funstuff. I also have a Simonize-branded 2' wand with an angle fitting on the end and bring an auxiliary hose connection into the trailer via the rear queen under-storage area which allows me to spray all around the inside of the tank through the toilet hole. That helps keep the tank sensors functional. OK I cannot always use the wand or the Homer bucket technique, but when I am hooked up to sewer at my site, that is my MO. That said, driving with a big load in the tanks is a big help on busting up the funstuff. The bags of ice trick, I fear, is mostly useless since the ice will melt rather quickly if it is not REAL cold in your locale. Again, just my 3 cent opinion.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Never poop in a dry tank.

After dumping, add a couple of gallons of water to the tank.

Then poop at your pleasure.

Actually, send a lot more water down with the deed than you think is necessary. More water or some kind of liquid in the black is your friend. If that makes not overfilling the black a problem, get yourself a honeywagon and use it. A lot. NEVER leave the black dump valve open when hooked up to on-site sewer. Just an addendum here: a couple gallons will be maybe 1" deep in the tank. That is not a lot and a pile under the toilet will develop.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote