Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
The quick, easy way to determine if the vent pipe is blocked is to take the cap off and run water in though the vent pipe from the top. If water from a garden hose runs freely and fills up the gray water holding tank, it is not a vent pipe issue.
I know and I regret not doing this. But I figured that regardless of what I found I wasn't going to try and fix it since it's under warranty, just let the dealer deal with it. Unfortunately I guess I had a little too much faith. Next time I'll spend more time diagnosing it first.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
UPDATE: Just got off the phone with the service writer. He said they have duplicated the problem multiple times today and have been working with Airstream to troubleshoot it. I'm being told that Airstream is saying that a valve regulator on the grey tank needs to be replaced. Supposedly Airstream said this has happened just a couple times (twice to some poor guy). So I'm being told that they are waiting to hear back from Airstream to get the part# for the valve and schematics to replace it.

He said they would next day air the valve when they get an answer. He is still telling me that they will have me running to pick up on Wednesday but I can't say that I have much faith in that.

Does anyone know what regulator valve they could be talking about??

Any ideas??
Old 10-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I think your service writer needs his muffler bearings adjusted! 😊
Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Sounds like "a can of relative bearing grease" or a "spool of flight line."
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
Question monitor not working

My husband and I also have a brand new AS 25' Flying Cloud FB 2012. WE ALSO have had problems with the system monitor. In fact we don't think it has ever worked. The dealer is too far away so we are taking it to Paramount RV in Reno. We are wondering if it ever was calibrated? A huge job for neophytes.
The switches in the bathroom were wired backwards, according to the dealer,
but re-wiring them put them out of sync with the light switch which the salesman told us should be in sync.

Our vent fans do something very strange. Everything was properly off when we
departed, but turned on in transit. To avoid this on the way home, I put the vents on manual and closed them manually. Guess what? When entering to put the battery on "store" I heard the fans running......Anyone else with this problem? Thank you for any help.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Check this Thread

For the answer to your off-topic question on Fantastic Fans:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ies-83412.html

As to your question on calibration, we should all check the calibration of our fluid level monitering system from time to time and recalibrate when necessary. It's a simple task that results in peace of mind and more trouble-free adventures.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi Ronnie, we've spent the last 2 winters in Houston, looking forward to #3 in a few weeks. Which Airstream dealer are you working with on this issue?
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Does anyone know what a HPPVO valve is? That's what I'm being told they need to replace and are trying to get their hands on. He couldn't tell me anything about where it's located or exactly what it's purpose is.

When I google it I get a HEPVO valve that is a replacement for a P trap. Maybe that's what he meant.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
So they can't find the part. Was told they were going to try and find the part locally first and if not then next day air it in. But now they can't find it period. So I have been told to cancel my trip this weekend. I guess I am out of commission for an unknown amount of time.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
I left a message with the airstream number. At least I want to confirm that they are unable to provide the part.

Also found the manufacturer for the valve online but they're closed. Calling them tomorrow. Their website shows you able to order it for $26.70. Pretty frustrating if it really does come down to the fact that I can't use my $50k+ airstream b/c they can't get a $26 part.

Not sure if the manufacturer can tell me which one of their valves is on my AS. Going to try.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Ronnie:

Any luck? Hope they can get this resolved by the 11th

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
If it is the HepVO valve...

... and I am skeptical, it may be a simple matter of rotating it along its longitudinal axis 90 degrees
Old 10-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
So here's the latest and greatest. I popped by the dealer to try and talk face to face and understand what's going on and I think we're on the right track.

They couldn't quite explain it to where I could understand it. They're just doing what Airstream is telling them. So I asked for the contact at Airstream so they could explain it to me. I called that contact and he was very nice and took a little bit of time to explain it to me and he also emailed me a schematic of the grey tank plumbing in my trailer so I could see what they're doing.

Currently my trailer does NOT have a HepVo valve in it. Installing the HepVo valve is the solution. They are putting the HepVo valve in the Interstate models but not the trailers. So let's see if I can explain what's going on.

With my sink going full blast that large volume of water is overwhelming the system such that the system cannot vent through the vent pipe. Since the pressure is built up in the tank and it is not venting, the water is diverting to the shower.

By adding this HepVo valve into the plumbing below my sink this will "control" the flow of water so not to overwhelm the system so it can vent properly. Supposedly this is a flaw in the system in my trailer and has happened on a handful of trailers and this has cleared it up.

I am concerned about how much it will "control" the flow of water. Hopefully it does not significantly slow the flow of water so that my sinks drains real slow but we'll see.

Currently they are expecting approval from Airstream for the work today, gotta love paperwork. Then they'll ship the part and the dealer can install it.

They did have to work on my sensor as well. It failed calibration 3 times and they had to get with Airstream on it but it is suppose to be working now.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to keep us posted.
It confirms our theory that inadequate "venting" was the problem. I have seen this before but only when the vent pipe is clogged with debris or sitting too deep inside the holding tank. So, we all learn from your plumbing adventure.
Can you post a link to the schematic?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
My grey water tank isn't full until it backs up into the shower, regardless of what the gauge says. I think you're on the right track investigating the vent.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
With my sink going full blast that large volume of water is overwhelming the system such that the system cannot vent through the vent pipe. Since the pressure is built up in the tank and it is not venting, the water is diverting to the shower.
To clarify this. It never happened when I just had my sink turned on all the way. It happened when we had the stopper in the sink and it was full of water. once was soaking dishes and another was soaking baby bottles. When I pulled the plug and all the water ran down that's when the back up started. Then of course you run water to rinse the sink and now I have water in the shower.

The file is in a PDF. hopefully it attaches. This is the view of everything above the tank drain. I'm assuming that what I'm not seeing is the union of the pipe from the sink and the pipe from the shower join prior to the grey tank. Wish I could see how that is done but it's not here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plumbing 25FB.pdf (72.9 KB, 176 views)
Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Biggest thing that had confused me was that I had assumed that the vent pipe for the grey tank was a separate pipe off of the tank, not inline with the drain pipe for the sinks or shower. So I could not understand why something going on with the sink/shower pipes would affect the vent pipe. Now I see it's all inline.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Ronnie:

Hope they can get this resolved by the 11th

Dana
You and me both. I'm expecting to get it back mid week next week and as soon as I get it back I'm going to run a lot of water through it and make sure I'm good to go. I can't imagine that I'll be down that long.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Question Doesn't sound right to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post

.................................................. ....

So let's see if I can explain what's going on.

By adding this HepVo valve into the plumbing below my sink this will "control" the flow of water so not to overwhelm the system so it can vent properly. Supposedly this is a flaw in the system in my trailer and has happened on a handful of trailers and this has cleared it up.

I am concerned about how much it will "control" the flow of water. Hopefully it does not significantly slow the flow of water so that my sinks drains real slow but we'll see.

Currently they are expecting approval from Airstream for the work today, gotta love paperwork. Then they'll ship the part and the dealer can install it.

They did have to work on my sensor as well. It failed calibration 3 times and they had to get with Airstream on it but it is suppose to be working now.
I'm no plumber, but I do have a degree in atmospheric sciences and this make no sense to me. It sounds like they are trying to fix a problem by treating a symptom.

Consider these facts:

Water is more dense (by a lot) than air.
Air is compressible, water is not.
The diameter of the vent pipe is about the same as or larger than the drain pipe's.

There is no way, not even if you stuck a garden hose full blast into the drain, that you could put enough water down that drain to overcome the vents ability to expel the displaced air, unless the vent is being severely restricted or the vent's opening into the tank is below the water level.

I believe that the "flaw" in your Trailer is a bad vent system and I would insist in having it fixed. Read about the HEPV valve and what it is used for. It's purpose is not to slow down the flow of water.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
I agree with wt7s, something fishy is going on here. Even if you take the rep's statement that there is a flaw in the construction of your trailer, I would think the correct solution is fix the flaw, not add a valve (that's not needed on other trailers) to restrict the flow.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote