Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #81
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
A combined tank for waste water has one drawback that I can think of right now (later may be another one; I reserve all rights). If you are a CG with a dump station, but no sewer hookups, you can empty the grey water into a blue boy and roll it to the dump station, but black water in a blue boy is not too great an experience. Storing it between uses would require a thorough flushing.

OK, another drawback. The bigger the tank, the more sloshing around when partly full. The more sloshing, the less stability when driving. You can reduce sloshing with baffles in the tank, but that will make it hard to clean the solids out of the tank. Larger RV's have bigger tanks, but they have the weight to match it and sloshing is not a problem.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #82
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I see what you mean about sloshing, but if you keep the tank thin in the vertical axis it probably couldn't transfer liquid from one part to another quick enough to make any serious effects on stability. In-tank baffles wouldn't work, but there must be something that would, if it were a problem.

on the point about the Blue Boy, if both tanks were combined, would you still need one?

Maybe a solution to that would be a y-valve with an outside hatch access. one side takes the gray water to the single tank to mingle with it's slower constituents, and the other side of the Y would divert the gray water to your external tank. Then you'd have the best of both approaches.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #83
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I like the Y valve, but want it inside for convenience.

A large, vertically oriented tank has two problems. One is that it will either drag on the ground or be above the lowest drain. Second, it will slosh forward and backward because it will have to be longer and will push the trailer when you try to stop.

The Blue Boy issue is a problem for some people who would want to stay longer than the tank capacity and have access to fresh water and a dump station. Eventually any tank will be full if you stay long enough. Blue Boyers probably take more showers. But once you use the giant tank for black purposes, it'll never be the same. I doubt extensive flushing gets it totally clean because stuff sticks to the walls. The same is probably true of a Blue Boy.

If there is a pit or flush toilet you can extend a stay a very long time, so that is another approach.

Gene
Old 11-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #84
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
But once you use the giant tank for black purposes, it'll never be the same. I doubt extensive flushing gets it totally clean because stuff sticks to the walls. The same is probably true of a Blue Boy.

Gene
Gene,

Regarding Blue Boys:

Have you actually verified this? It does not match my experience. We have not had an occasion to use ours for some time, but when we did use it, we combined both gray and black water. I did a thorough rinsing each time at the dump site and another more thorough at home. As far as I am concerned it was as good as new when we were done.

We use ours at home to transport water from our rain barrels to where it is needed in the yard. Yeah, I know, I'm probably violating some Colorado water rule. I have been told that it is illegal to shower with a bucket in with you to collect some of the runoff and then use that to water plants. Only one use per drop of water is allowed. We don't want to turn the south Platte river into a dry wash. Then Nebraksa will dry up and blow away. I was going to put a smilie face right here but decided that might offend some corn hushers.

Ken

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #85
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Hmm. Any other cute little Colorado water rules I need to know about? We are thinking of putting in a well and septic the year after we get the electric in.

We just met with the REA engineer at the site two weeks ago. Two poles needed to get power out to our little RV site in the foothills. We'll probably do that in May.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #86
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Hmm. Any other cute little Colorado water rules I need to know about? We are thinking of putting in a well and septic the year after we get the electric in.

We just met with the REA engineer at the site two weeks ago. Two poles needed to get power out to our little RV site in the foothills. We'll probably do that in May.
The only other one I can think of right off is to be sure your drain field is down wind from N W Longmont.

Oh yeah, and make sure the parking site is long enough to accommate a 31 foot trailer.

Ken
Old 11-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #87
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Ken, I've read otherwise about Blue Boys, but am glad it works for you. Don't drink out of it. You may be fertilizing those plants as well as watering them.

Water law: I don't know if this has changed in the past few years in Colorado, but if you take water that falls on your roof and then flows to a barrel, and then use it for any purpose, you are stealing from the watershed. Someone else has a usufructuary right to that water (cool word which means someone doesn't own it, but has to right to use it; the state owns the water). This rule has been changed in some states so you can use the water on outdoor plants since it still goes into the ground eventually, but I haven't kept up on which states have changed.

The shower thing sounds bizarre to me because the result of dumping a bucket of water on the ground or sending it to a septic system is the same. Of course, if you take showers outside in the rain the result may be different.

Gene
Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #88
Rivet Master

Quote:

The shower thing sounds bizarre to me because the result of dumping a bucket of water on the ground or sending it to a septic system is the same. Of course, if you take showers outside in the rain the result may be different.

Gene
We are on the sewer system here, so that water has a much better chance of getting to the river quickly if it goes down the drain. From,the smell of the treatment plant from time to time it may be too quickly.
Ken
Old 11-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #89
one of those

2011 27 FB International
We have one of these aerobic septic systems here. A little compressor puts air into the tank and the water that eventually comes out is practically clear and goes right to a gray water tank. It's not this particular brand but a competitor: http://www.wetlandspacific.com/index...#axzz1cfxzgbhW
We have that plumbed into the irrigation system with a submersible pump and pressure switch. Would one of those fly in Colorado? Sure is simple to put in. Dig a hole and run power.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I've used my blue boy for black water for years. Not anymore 'cause my AS will last a week at least for the two of us. My old SOB only had a 17 gallon black tank for 5 of us!!!!

Anyway the blue boy flushes fine with a single rinse and today doesn't smell any worse than when new. The trick is to leave the cap off when you get home and let it dry thoroughly.

Why is everybody so afraid of crap? It's just poop....didn't you ever change diapers?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #91
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Probably cause many people get to this stage in their lives without ever having had to physically deal with it in a hands-on manner. There's no need to fear it if you use reasonable care and rinse it all away. Its organic. bugs eat it. And some dogs.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #92
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Probably cause many people get to this stage in their lives without ever having had to physically deal with it in a hands-on manner.
Many of us have valets who deal with that nasty stuff when we eliminate.

Gene
Old 11-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Many of us have valets who deal with that nasty stuff when we eliminate.

Gene
OOOO, how do I get me one of them? Not so much for the poop thing....just sounds like fun....what's her name?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
You have to eat a peck of s**t before you die. RIP Mr. D. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #95
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
Concerning a single tank for holding wastewater . . .

I have talked with one person who had this set up (2004 International -- I think 28'). They purchased it new in 2004. They hated the single tank and had it retrofitted.

If I remember correctly, the problems with the combo tank involved the "no fuss flush" system not being able to keep the water jets clean or adequately clean a 80 gallon tank. Also it took forever at the dump station and oftentimes they would still end up leaving with a hose not as clean as they would have liked.

I think Airstream only made this one year.

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Well another day gone by and no part yet. I keep saying this but hopefully today. I really wanted it for the weekend so I could test it. I just don't have time during the week.

Definite piece of advice for you IF this works. Just do it yourself. The part is $26 online. I would have had this done in 4 days. 3 for shipping and 1 for install. All it is is replacing your P trap under the sink with this valve. Even though it's under warranty it's worth the $26 to skip the headache of dealing with the service dept.

And definitely going to buy a blue boy or whatever it's called so if I still have problems on the next trip I can just dump into that.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #97
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
Well another day gone by and no part yet. I keep saying this but hopefully today. I really wanted it for the weekend so I could test it. I just don't have time during the week.

Definite piece of advice for you IF this works. Just do it yourself. The part is $26 online. I would have had this done in 4 days. 3 for shipping and 1 for install. All it is is replacing your P trap under the sink with this valve. Even though it's under warranty it's worth the $26 to skip the headache of dealing with the service dept.

And definitely going to buy a blue boy or whatever it's called so if I still have problems on the next trip I can just dump into that.
You know I cant believe the service is so slow and your having to stay on them so hard. I guess its like anything else you buy they promise you gold and glitter till the sale is done then your just another person.

Hang in there hopefully you get fixed up soon!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I, too, have pondered the question, "why is everybody so afraid of crap?" (dznf0g's post #90). I've made the general observation over the years that as one's affluence increases, so does one's aversion to having to deal with human waste....(that's completely understandable). What I find so interesting though, is how those same people can cheerfully handle animal waste, (as long as it's produced by their beloved pets and/or horses). Needless to say, those folks are not RVers.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #99
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Well just got off the phone with the dealer and still no part so I got the tracking number from them. Turns out my last few days of frustration should have been pointed at Airstream not the dealer. Airstream told me they would ship the part last Friday, but per the tracking info they didn't ship it until Wednesday. So this weeks delay is due to airstream not the dealer. Tracking is showing delivery on Monday.

I dropped the trailer off on the 18th. So best case scenario if they knock it out early next week, my trailer would spend 3 weeks at the dealer. I should bill Airstream and the dealer for my storage cost for 3 weeks.

What's really sad is I only picked the trailer up on 10/4 so it has spent more time at the dealer than with me.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #100
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
Well just got off the phone with the dealer and still no part so I got the tracking number from them. Turns out my last few days of frustration should have been pointed at Airstream not the dealer. Airstream told me they would ship the part last Friday, but per the tracking info they didn't ship it until Wednesday. So this weeks delay is due to airstream not the dealer. Tracking is showing delivery on Monday.

I dropped the trailer off on the 18th. So best case scenario if they knock it out early next week, my trailer would spend 3 weeks at the dealer. I should bill Airstream and the dealer for my storage cost for 3 weeks.

What's really sad is I only picked the trailer up on 10/4 so it has spent more time at the dealer than with me.

This is very typical for Airstream shipping parts. It is even worse if they owe you money and have to cut a check. My experience is about 6-8 weeks for that, even with periodic prodding.

Perhaps their thinking is that next time you will do it yourself and not bother them.

Ken