Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2004, 04:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Dump Valve Leak

Hello everyone and here I am in need of information again. The dump valve on my 61 overlander has a leak and I need to have someone tell me how to fix it. The trailer set up for several years and the dump valve was 1/2 open, after a couple hours work I got it to working again. It close and open without a problem now but a drip comes out where the handle connects to the close plate. The plate is brass and the handle is a steel rod that comes out the side of the trailer. I can see nothing on the brass that would be a sealer. The drip is a very fast drip at this time. All gray water comes out below this and does not go into the holding tank. Any ideals or sugestions to fix this or do I have to replace the valve and if I do how is that done. Thanks ....Dave.....
Old 02-14-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Dump valve

Dave,

I have a question: When you refer to the where the handle goes into the close plate, are you speaking of the top of the valve? Is there a nut shaped fitting where the handle goes into the close plate?

If your valve is the same as mine, the handle is an extension of the valve stem. The nut shaped fitting is a packing nut. If the leak is right at the packing nut, you can tighten the nut slightly. If that doesn't work, go to the hardware store and buy some packing material. Take the nut off, dig the old packing material out, put in new packing and retighten the nut. (The entire top bonnet comes off the valve. Unscrew the assembly and take it out of the valve body)

On my '59, the valve was a standard 2" brass gate valve. You can still buy these at any large home store.

The bad news: if you need to replace the valve, it is almost impossible to get off.

It took me two days to remove the valve. That was with the help of my son-in-law Scooter, a very large chain wrench, and lots of WD-40.

And that was with the tank out and strapped to a tree.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Dump Valve leak

Hi and Thanks Markdoane for the help, tried it all and it still leaks, so I took the bottom off and got to the Dump valve, I have everything off except the Dump valve itself. I can't figure out how to take it off the tank, they are no screws on the bottom of the dump valve but you can see where it is bolted to the tank. I sanded the valve and found a couple places that they may have riveted it together but I'm not sure of this. any ideal how to get it off the tank and where would can I find one to replace it...Thanks Dave....
Old 02-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Dump vavle

Dave,

I don't know what to say, it sounds like it may be a different type valve than what I have. It may be a newer Valterra type slide valve.

The valve I have just screws directly onto a 2" pipe nipple that is glassed into the bottom of the tank. No bolts or screws. If you have rivets or screws holding it to the tank, or if the body is plastic, then it is a different stype valve.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

dump valve leak

I think you just answered my need, I didn't think to look for a threaded pipe on top, and what I thought were bolts, were where the fitting fastened to the tank. I'll let you know tomorrow but I think you have solved that problem for me, now where can I get a replacement . If I can get this one off......Thanks ...Dave........
Old 02-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Dump Valve leak

Hi again Markdoane
Justr had to go out to the barn and see what I had and to my disappointment I don't have the screw on type. The one I have is about 3/4" thick and has a brass slide plate, I think it's revited on and tomorrow I will try and drill it and see, it's no good anyway so I can't do to much damage. Thank you so much for your help. Where is WAYZATA? Thanks ...Dave......
Old 02-16-2004, 06:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Dump valve leak

Dave,
Sound like you have one of the newer slide valves. Be careful drilling out the rivets, you may be able to buy a repair kit and put it back together with some screws.
Wayzata-just west of Minneapolis on Lake Minnetonka.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
David Hall.

Parts for your slide valve have not been available for 40 years.

You can replace it be cutting the old valve from the fiberglass tank, and then glassing in a new style Thetford adapter.

At that point, you can fasten with 4 bolts a new type valve.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Dump valve leak

Hi Anady and thanks for the information. I have the old valve off of the tank and I saved a four bolt holes, are these no good to use with the new Thetford valve? do I need to cut into the tank to replace with a new thetford valve....Thanks...Dave....