Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2020, 07:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Canton , OH
Fresh water tank “sweats” 65 Caravel

I’m restoring a ‘65 Caravel. I replaced the original badly damaged copper plumbing lines with PEX. It has a 30 gallon fresh water tank located in the center of the front wall of the trailer. It is in good condition and I am reusing it. While testing the entire plumbing system for leaks I filled the fresh tank with city water and left it overnight. I checked it the next morning and no leaks were found. Great! Around mid afternoon I checked it again and noticed that the surface of the tank where water was inside had a thin layer of condensate “sweat” covering the surface. This was on an 80’ day with about 80% relative humidity.
Does condensation like this cause long term water damage issues to the trailer or to the floor/ cabinets/etc.? Has anyone else noticed this and found a way to minimize it?
Thanks,
John S.
jwschnettl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
I have never seen a fresh water tank inside the trailer. My 64 Safari's is under the floor in-between the frame rails. However if it is and you do not want to relocate it, the the answer wood be yes it could and will cause damage to any wood or metal from condensation over time. Check the area around the current location for rot, soft wood or corroded/rusted out metal that will need to be replaced. If it has not been effected after 55 years, (imho) then use it as is.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Canton , OH
It is the original tank in the original location. I think the Caravel has shallower frame rails than the larger models so below the floor wasn’t an option. There wasn’t any floor rot around the tank and I treated the floor with a coating of epoxy waterproofer before putting down new composite flooring. I think it should be good but I was surprised by the condensation. Thanks for your reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FDD0E8CC-699D-448A-966D-B837A66687E6.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	378140  
jwschnettl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Greenville , South Carolina
I have a 66 caravel. I have done the same task. My hat's off to you my friend. I have to say you got a leak a small pin hole somewhere. I had a small pinhole leak that are brand nail made in the back of my truck when I was cleaning it out I didn't notice it until 2 Days Later. Am I tank was doing the same you should have zero condensation and the top of this tank there's a leak somewhere. The best thing to do was take it out fill it with water and squeeze beside to see where the water is coming from. Once you find out get some silicone a small dabado you and just wipe some on there with your finger and let it dry you should be okay. If you need a diagram I'll show you a picture of what I've got you can't even see the whole and it's not leaking or sweating

Tags
caravel