Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2004, 12:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
1959 18' Traveler
1963 16' Bambi
Victoria , British Columbia
fresh water tank air vent

I've replaced my old metal tank with a new polyethelene one. I need to put in an air vent and have a threaded opening for it.
My question is
How can I finish it on the outside so that its exterior opening looks good.

Cindy
1960 Traveler
CindyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy
I've replaced my old metal tank with a new polyethelene one. I need to put in an air vent and have a threaded opening for it.
My question is
How can I finish it on the outside so that its exterior opening looks good.

Cindy
1960 Traveler
Cindy,
I am assuming you are talking about your fresh water tank?
If so, there is no need to vent it to the outside, as there should not be an odor or gas problem. You can vent the fresh tank with a hose that terminates above the tank and higher than the filler tube by a few inches. you can use rigid PVC pipe, if you have room, or flexible tubing, if you need to hide it behind installations, or a combination thereof.
The tank vent will prevent burps when filling, and provide smooth draining. It also keeps the tank from forming a vacuum, thus allowing water delivery to the pump when the faucets are on.
You might add a small screen type material to the end of the hose, like very fine mesh screen material to keep the occasional bug or piece of dirt out of the vent tube.
Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Uwe,
Thanks for the info. I'm doing the same replacement. Is there any concern about sloshing in the tank causing expulsion from the vent? I was kinda thinking about routing the vent tube through the floor and bellypan.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Uwe,
Thanks for the info. I'm doing the same replacement. Is there any concern about sloshing in the tank causing expulsion from the vent? I was kinda thinking about routing the vent tube through the floor and bellypan.

Don,

I would be concerned about the possible overflow form the vent. I know on all of my trailers and Motorhomes when I fill the tank there is a fair amount of moist air and sometimes water that shoots out the vent tuber in the filler box. I would be comfortable about dropping it through the floor, but I would have a vent stack on it. Come off the tank to a T One leg goes thru the floor, the other is in the interior, above the top level of the tank. If you don't vent it and get a good slosh it could start to siphon out some of the water.

On the trailers that I have seen converted from the air over water system there is normally a small, less than 1/8 inch, hole drilled in the threaded cap that screws on the outside filler tube. It is big enough to allow air to enter as needed, but too small for bugs. This is what I would do, and just cap the threaded fitting.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Brett,
Good idea, I hadn't thought of the siphon effect.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
You could easily use an overflow bottle of sorts, to catch the occasional burp through the vent line. A modified windshield washer bottle would catch mist and water, sending it back into the tank after the eruption.
The asiset way out woul dbe to add a fitting to the top of the filler tube, just before it goes through the inner skin, and add the vent fitting there. After all, that is how it is from the factory.
I think routing it through the floor would cause foreign objects in your drinking water supply, sooner or later, or at least add another maintenance point to the whole shmier.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Uwe,
The vent tube in our '64 Overlander goes out the top and then down through the floor and bellypan.

Grant
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote