Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
Fresh water hose - keep it clean?

I am looking for ideas on what type of container to use to store my freshwater hose? Also, does someone have a good idea about keeping the male and female hose ends clean? I see guys dragging their hoses across dirty surfaces then rolling up the dirty hose against the ends of the hose. I would like to cover the ends while rolled up.
Sierrapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Attach the Ends to Each Other

I hold the hose over a relatively clean (non-dirt) surface such as asphalt, concrete, picnic table. Then lift one end of the hose to drain all the water. Then coil the hose (it tends to coils somewhat on its own) and the attach the male end to the female end. That way it stays coiled, no water drips out and I can store it just about anywhere. Tighten the coil if needed to store it in confined spaces.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I have quick connects on the ends of my fresh water hose - it speeds up connections and lessens the time of exposure to possible trash. I attach a Y connection to the water source and attach my "Grey Water Hose" the one I will use around camp for general use to one side, then connect the trailer White fresh water hose connection and open the valve to flush the hose. Then I connect to the trailer. Before I do all this I have a small spray bottle with 10% bleach solution I spray on all connections before opening and handling. This hopefully will kill of germs in the connections and keep them out of the tanks. With everything in such close proximity at the service connection area (sewer and water), I don't want to get the stomach bug on a trip. Use gloves. Do the water connects first while connecting and disconnecting at the camp site.

Sorry about the run-on..........
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrapapa
I am looking for ideas on what type of container to use to store my freshwater hose? Also, does someone have a good idea about keeping the male and female hose ends clean? I see guys dragging their hoses across dirty surfaces then rolling up the dirty hose against the ends of the hose. I would like to cover the ends while rolled up.
I use the blue rubber caps that came with (IIRC) my "RV" freshwater hose. They fit over the ends of the hose so you don't lose them when you're using it. If they didn't come with it, they are available at your local Wal-mart.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Thanks Clancy Boy and Nvestysly and Pumpkin for these replies. All are very helpful.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I bought a couple of tote bags that zip closed and are water 'resistant' to store my hoses and water filter in - this keeps the water stuff clean, organized, and easy to get out and put away. I find that 'soft' storage bags are better for some things, since my small trailer has limited space. The hoses kind of get 'trained' into the size coil you need after awhile, and it is easy to coax them back into their bags.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
What Nvestysly says.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Water hose

Never use a "garden water hose" for a travel trailer or motorhome.

That type hose adds a taste to the water, that is also possibly stored in the water tank.

Use only a "drinking water hose" and you won't have the bad taste problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
Sierra Papa

Preston , Idaho
Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I have taken some from each post. I am currently looking for some zip bags like RDM16CCD recommends, but in the meantime using all of the other ideas. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yes, never handle fresh and/or dump hoses, fixtures, etc at the same time. Make a distinct effort to take care of your fresh hookup first. Do not store them in close proximity to each other, use seperate compartments.

I also keep a spray bottle of H20/Bleach right next to my fresh hose. I spray the hookup ,and my hose connections, every time I hookup.
You never know what happened there before you arrived!

Bill
Old 07-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I use a self-coiling "curly" hose from Camping World. It doesn't kink like the white hoses and is a lot easier to handle. I drain it and join the hose ends when it is stored.

My hose is not white, but it is labeled as drinking-water safe and introduces no taste to the water.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
I also keep a spray bottle of H20/Bleach right next to my fresh hose. I spray the hookup ,and my hose connections, every time I hookup.
You never know what happened there before you arrived!

Bill
Great idea Bill! I'm going to do the same from now on. Thanks.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:53 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use the curly blue hose with quick connects for drinking water. I don't do anything the cover the ends.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Rivet H2O and other stuff?

Generally, I don't consume pottable water from my tank or shore connection without boiling it first, I do a lot of boondocking so I have a spray bottle of pure water for brushing teeth ect. I also carry five gallon bottles of store bought distilled water to service my batteries and myself as needed. Ya just don't know man!
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i have more questions. would capping the ends promote growth from the damp/wet inside of the hose? should the hose be filled with a mild bleach solution to disinfect it for a half hour before use, and then flushed?

i was told by an RV service tech to avoid leaving the white hose in the sun as it promotes mold growth.

ok experts, teach me! :-)
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Talking

If you use water that has been treated with CL, and you hook up frequently, Just normal sanitary precautions should be ok. If the hose has not been used for some time, then dump some CL (bleach, Clorox ) into the hose and flush it before you hook up.

The best advice so far is not to mix up the handling of sewage hoses and fresh water hoses. Wear desposable gloves and wash handa often. The thing about these bugs - if you think they are there, they probally are.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote