Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
LaPlata , Missouri
fresh water fill tube

The fill tube to our fresh water tank seems to be blocked or kinked. Starting with an empty fresh water tank, I put a hose into the fill opening and run water for only a minute before water starts backing up and out the overflow tube. The camper is a 2004 25' RBT Classic. I am thinking I will need to remove the roll-out pantry to gain access to the fill tube. Is this a logical approach to fixing the problem? Or what might be better?
Thanks.
PEJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:02 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Not familiar with your exact unit but it sounds a lot like displaced air cant escape. Try slowing the flow rate.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
LaPlata , Missouri
followup on fill tube blockage

I have done some more investigating. I put a snake camera in the fill tube and discovered the fill tube appeared to have collapsed. I then inserted a half inch heavy water hose and by twisting it when it hit the collapsed area got it past the collapsed area. I reinserted the camera and could only see a bend in the fill tube. Couldn't get the camera beyond that point. Fill tube still does not deliver water to the fresh water tank.

I opened the closet bottom where the water pump is and could see much of the fill tube. It looks okay - what I can see. Can't see beyond where it goes below the floor. For some reason i blew air (by mouth) in the half inch hose which was still in the fill tube. Water almost immediately came out of the fill tube and the overflow. I didn't measure the volume of water, but I guess i got a couple gallons before it quit coming out. I am at a loss as what to do to fill the fresh water tank. Help Please.
Old 05-15-2022, 08:05 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
fresh water fill tube

Can you cut the end off the fill hose (can always repair with a new fitting later) and push it farther past the kink and leave it there to fill? Also is this trailer new to you or not new but suddenly this started happening? Because that’s odd that the hose would suddenly kink. Or is it possible something was inserted in the fill tube and is blocking it? Did anyone (including kids) have access to the trailer?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The fill tube could have been kinked when the trailer.was built. If it is under warranty, have a good dealer.or.the factory replace it. I would check Youtube for a tutorial, but you MAY have to drop the white water tank to do this job on some models.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:50 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....👍

Is this a nu-to-u trailer? Have you filled it before?

As a side note...it will take at least 15-20 min to fill an empty tank in our '04 Classic.
The breather tube is too small, and as you saw with your camera, the fill hose route is rather convoluted.

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 02:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
LaPlata , Missouri
Turns out the tank is full of water. I opened the two drain valves last fall and thought it drained all the water out. WRONG. Fortunately, I stored the camper in an area that didn't get too cold.
I now opened both valves again. Water comes out of one or the valves when the pump is on. So i assume the other valve is the tank drain valve. it is the old metal petcock type. Could it just be plugged? Or will i have to replace it?