Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2004, 05:32 AM   #21
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
John,

There are thee levels of pump. Low mid and high cost. The main difference is the noise level made by the pump when it is running. The higher the cost the lower the noise. Look at the price of a new PAR, $225.00. You could stay OEM but for a few dollars less can get a VSD pump that will be very quiet. Stay away from the bottom of the price ones as they tend to be VERY noisy. I have a VSD and love it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 06:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

John, it sounds like you have a pressure pump that pressurizes the water tank. All Airstreams today, and all rv's as far as I can see, use demand pumps that simply draw on the water tank as water is needed.

I believe Airstream is using Aquajet pumps in many of their models. I bought an Aquajet ES variable speed pump and have found it very satisfactory. They have a larger capacity model, as does Sureflo, Jabsco and Jabsco's companion brand whose name eludes me right now.

The new variable speed pumps are very quiet. The larger capacity models can draw rather a lot of amps (up to 10!), so proper guage wiring can be a problem. The ES has a max draw of six amps, I believe, and the existing wiring is usually sufficient.

While the pumps themselves are very quiet, some efforts must be made in installation to keep the water pulses from creating water hammer in the pipes. Use braided water grade plastic tubing for about 18" from the pump pressure side. Use foam pipe insulation around any plumbing runs that touch anything at all. Secure the pump itself solidly. And finally, the Aquajet pumps have an adjustable regulator that fine tunes the output to your system. If too high, it will thrum and buzz.

Even though I went with the lower capacity ES model, it will pump a strong stream out of every faucet even when all are open simultaneously.

Good luck,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:38 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Adventures in Plumbing (with Pics)

Greeting John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
My wife just said "Rebuild it?!? Buy a new one!" So, I have seen one no vote for the Shurflo. Are there any replacement pumps that anyone recommends?

John
If my dealer had given me the option, my choices would have been (1) rebuild the original; or (2) replace with a new PAR (Peters and Russell) - - now manufactured by Jabsco. I know that the PAR on my Airstream was a replacement that I purchased from Camping World several years ago - - it was a catalog only item at that time. I have had several Shurflo pumps on my former Nomad and none was as quiet as the PAR which was one of my primary reasons for choosing it as the previous owner of my Airstream had installed a Shurflo. The PAR on my Minuet was the original from '78 and was said to only need a "short" rebuild kit; but according to my dealer, the kit plus install was equal in cost to the cost of the Shurflo plus installation - - what wasn't mentioned was that the PAR would probably outlast four or five of the Shurflos. (IMHO)

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Thanks everyone for your advice. I was worried that the whole thing was going to delay our shake down trip in two weeks, but since the Detroit Metro area has something like 6 West Marine stores I can get a pump and hoses, etc...no prob.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:04 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Question Cutter?

From the pix it looks like a normal PVC pipe cutter...any difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&SZinser
So some research on the web and a trip to Ace Hardware and I'm all set.
I'm using Flair-it fittings, new PEX pipe, and stainless steel braided hoses. In order to make the attachments to the Water Filter and Faucet hoses I had to also use some brass Female Pipe Thread to Compression fittings.
I didn't want to mess around with cutting the pex or potentially stripping off the Flair-it fittings so I bought a dedicated PEX cutter and the Flair-it wrench.
blrpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:14 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Electric ???

So the ES uses only 6 amps...do all these pumps only run on the AC or do they run 12volt as well...I have seen a few people who have replaced pumps but say they only run on AC not the 12 volt DC...could this be correct?

I am redoing my whole water system and replacing everything, so I need to figure out the pump and I want it to work on both 120 and 12V...also I do not want to re-wire as the wiring seems to be in good shape...the PEX looks simple and good...any other thoughts?

Thanks.
'
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
John, it sounds like you have a pressure pump that pressurizes the water tank. All Airstreams today, and all rv's as far as I can see, use demand pumps that simply draw on the water tank as water is needed.

I believe Airstream is using Aquajet pumps in many of their models. I bought an Aquajet ES variable speed pump and have found it very satisfactory. They have a larger capacity model, as does Sureflo, Jabsco and Jabsco's companion brand whose name eludes me right now.

The new variable speed pumps are very quiet. The larger capacity models can draw rather a lot of amps (up to 10!), so proper guage wiring can be a problem. The ES has a max draw of six amps, I believe, and the existing wiring is usually sufficient.

While the pumps themselves are very quiet, some efforts must be made in installation to keep the water pulses from creating water hammer in the pipes. Use braided water grade plastic tubing for about 18" from the pump pressure side. Use foam pipe insulation around any plumbing runs that touch anything at all. Secure the pump itself solidly. And finally, the Aquajet pumps have an adjustable regulator that fine tunes the output to your system. If too high, it will thrum and buzz.

Even though I went with the lower capacity ES model, it will pump a strong stream out of every faucet even when all are open simultaneously.

Good luck,

Mark
blrpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #27
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blrpix
So the ES uses only 6 amps...do all these pumps only run on the AC or do they run 12volt as well...I have seen a few people who have replaced pumps but say they only run on AC not the 12 volt DC...could this be correct?

I am redoing my whole water system and replacing everything, so I need to figure out the pump and I want it to work on both 120 and 12V...also I do not want to re-wire as the wiring seems to be in good shape...the PEX looks simple and good...any other thoughts?

Thanks.
'
The pump runs off 12 VDC. When plugged in the univolt or magne-tek makes plenty of 12 VDC to run the pump. So stick with a 12 VDC one.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:07 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Having done two, I would go with a re-build kit for the PAR.

The job is very easy and takes about an hour or so. PAR equipment is far superior to most of the new stuff on the market, so make use of it. West Marine sells the rebuild kit, but make sure you take the old pump with you as the kits look alike, but there are different sizes that your eyes seem to miss!

One nice feature about using existing equipment, the space it fits into is perfectly sized and shaped.

Rick
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote