Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Zip dee automatic awning

Well, I joined the "Doh" club.... I rushed away with a computer problem today, and, well, there WAS a drought!

Now I'm looking at replacing my bent Rollar tube, and one of the support arms (only the bottom most piece, it was slightly bent since before I got it.)

My idiot tax.

But looking on their website I saw the automatic awning, which will retract if there is too much wind.

I'd rather spend money up front and not have worries later. (I still have to call tomorrow to see how much)

Fortunately I'll be here for at least a month, so I have time to fix it.

Anybody got one? Worth doing? No good? Thanks
Nomad, 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Only hearsay, but I think you may find "sticker shock" when you learn the price of them.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
As far as repairing your awning, Zipdee has a parts list. I got caught in a wind a few years ago and ordered the parts and was not a problem fixing the broken arms.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick View Post
As far as repairing your awning, Zipdee has a parts list. I got caught in a wind a few years ago and ordered the parts and was not a problem fixing the broken arms.
We recently had to replace the entire front support arm damaged in an accident and found that Zipdee's customer support very responsive and their replacement parts reasonably priced. Their parts packaging is excellent, they ship the parts very quickly, and provide schematic instructions to simplify installation. Just give them a call, tell them what parts you need, and you will be impressed with their response.

You will most likely be shocked when you hear what they are asking for the automatic awnings. Replacing parts will be a more economical solution for you.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The price of that tube isn't so bad, but the crating and shipping is roughly the same as the part. For example, a 22' roller tube is about $280, crating is about $25, and shipping was $230. Of course, everything else should be able to ship in the same container, but make sure you're sitting down when they give you the shipping estimate.
Now, even that amount is still a quarter of the cost of a new non-powered Zip-Dee.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Russellville , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick View Post
Oh, I found the parts list (sans prices) before posting.
I was glad, because I knew it was an expensive screw up!

I saw the retrofit of the existing awning to automatic, and thought I'd ask....
Nomad, 2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
1988 25' Excella
1967 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Automatic electric awning

My local AS dealer told me in order to install the electric awning, he would have to take panels off the outside and reinforce with wood, bringing parts and labor costs to more than my AS is valued.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
"But looking on their website I saw the automatic awning, which will retract if there is too much wind."

Most Airstreamers have no experience with power awnings that have a wind sensor retract system.

The ONE THING that you should never rely on with regard to an awning is a wind sensor! I have seen many 'automatic' lateral arm awnings from Girard, Carefree and Zip-Dee that were left extended by the coach owners who were not in the area and a big gust of wind (NOT covered by warranty or able to a response by the wind sensor) either ripped fabric, sheared awning arms or actually flipped the awning up onto the coach roof! Wind sensors are designed to respond to a steady wind at the pre-set wind speed for a minimum of 15-20 seconds. Gusts will destroy your awning, as the sensor has no time to respond and retract the awning!

These are high-end awnings costing upwards of $6000. I have also seen these types of problems on motorized awnings with 'normal' rafter arms like the Zip-Dee style. Have a wind sensor.....same problem!

Unless you have lots of $$$$ to burn, stay with the manual versions of the Zip-Dee awnings!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The automatic patio awning option costs $3,551 for a 2014 Classic. I do not know option price for other models.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Yeah, but no matter the cost, if and when I order new I'll get the power awning. I like the idea of pushing a button...
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote