Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Help with awning

HELP I am trying to get the awning down . I washed it and it said roll-up for 10-15 minutes but I lost the tab. Any trick I can employ to substitute for brute force and help...I don't have either. I know two people pulling down on the arms can do it. But I can only move one side a couple of inches.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
CJ,

I've had luck using a step stool to access the center of the roll tube and un-rolling it by hand. It's a pita, but it worked for me in an emergency when the pull strap broke.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
CJ,

I've had luck using a step stool to access the center of the roll tube and un-rolling it by hand. It's a pita, but it worked for me in an emergency when the pull strap broke.

Regards,

Kevin
OK thanks I will try getting a taller ladder and working in the middle for a while.

Poohey I need a couple of muscle men.

photography
Old 09-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Kevin, it worked. I had to get a tent stake to grab the loop and use the awning bar to push it up enough to grab the loop after unwinding it or at least lifting it up enough that I could see it. I never would have thought the middle...THANKS!!! I don't know if I actually could have unwound it much more. I was glad the loop was right there. I lucked out.

Now anyone want to tell me how the ladder goes together or the hose connects to the power washer, lol!!! never mind I'll work around that.

Time to rinse...

photography
Old 09-27-2009, 05:27 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
CJ,

Glad you were able get the awning open!!!

As for the pressure washer...I put quick dis-connect couplers on ours a few years ago. I got tired of taking them on and off the slow way.

Take Care,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 09-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
...Now anyone want to tell me how the ladder goes together or the hose connects to the power washer...Time to rinse...
hi c

ladders and power washers...

r u givin' up toilet paper and the china bowl?

please post pictures!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Hey Wabbit!!

It turns out we will build up the floor so my toes don't dangle rather than use the ladder. Space is real tight in there. However we think the pressure washer is the best idea because we can save on the cost of tp and don't have to worry about finding 1-ply safe for RV holding tank tissue. Also this way we will never be caught "short" should anyone have forgotten to keep the paper stocked. Nothing else except a high power pressure washer will insure that the barnacles get rinsed from our booties.

Here are some pictures and if you have any questions pm me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bidet III.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	87972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bidet II copy.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	87973  

photography
Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Hey Wabbit!!

It turns out we will build up the floor so my toes don't dangle rather than use the ladder. Space is real tight in there. However we think the pressure washer is the best idea because we can save on the cost of tp and don't have to worry about finding 1-ply safe for RV holding tank tissue. Also this way we will never be caught "short" should anyone have forgotten to keep the paper stocked. Nothing else except a high power pressure washer will insure that the barnacles get rinsed from our booties.

Here are some pictures and if you have any questions pm me.

Neat idea...A combination toilet/drinking fountain!!!

On second thought...

William C. Swinney

Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I have discovered new holes in the awning. I cannot pinpoint what is catching. Perhaps the pictures may or may not give a clue. Do you think its the hook on top? That hook screw is loose. It does seem to be caught on something when I pull it open at the start, but then I can see the hook unlatched then, right? Now that's its open I cant see it clearly. It does not roll up at the end nicely but wants to fold at the last flap of fabric to retract.

I also would like to know if I can put water repellancy on it now because it seems to have lost it in the washing. I probably used the wrong thing to try to wash it and removed it.

And any ideas how to cover those holes?

Kevin a bubbler fountain too, never thought of that. LOL!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	awn1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	87974   Click image for larger version

Name:	awn2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	87975  

photography
Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
_

. , .
this device gives new meaning to the word globe-TROTTER ...

c'...

i had in mind setting the camera on 'timer' then YOU climbing the ladder...

with the fountain of water strategically positioned.

ah yes c' the prototype for an rv bidet !!!

i like it, but to really be green the up-stream of water should be from the grey or black tank...

my guess is that HOLE in the fabric is from the back side of the turn latch...

check that knob for roughness on the backside in the metal cover sections or consider smoothing the screw used to attach it.

those holes can be patched/sew with a small section of fabric on the TOP side, it's a home fix but works...

contact z'd for this.

worse case/best repair is to TAKE OFF the fabric and send it to them.

they can either REPLACE the damages sections or the entire thing, based on warranty.

IF you haven't rinsed the awning REALLY REALLY WELL, soap/detergent residue will affect water shedding.

also rinse from the UNDERSIDE with a hose (not power washer), wear a raincoat for this...

but don't apply any spray on repellants, they will defeat HOW the fabric works to shed water...

basically as the fabric becomes wet the acrylic fibers SWELL, which closes the textile/weave holes, like cotton/duck cloth...

so sometimes a REALLY DRY awning will leak for a few minutes till the fibers PLUmP up...

and speaking of plumped UP,

i'll look for the U tube video of the bidet in action...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
silly rabbit.

So onto higher ground, even higher than me on a ladder. The bracket is what is hanging up the awning shield and poking holes into the fabric. You can see by these pictures that this side of the awning is prevented from lying snug against the Airstream and fully retracting as it is caught on the hook retainer "eyelet "(?) It requires manually pushing the shield up to get it into proper position for travel and latching. The arm may have been slightly repositioned when work was done to the body or perhaps there is a different adjustment that will raise that side of the awning up higher so it doesn't catch as it does now. Could lower the eyelets and that would make more holes or remove it entirely, cover the holes and try to secure the awning on the ends. It happens both opening and closing as it drags across the bracket. Maybe I could make a bracket cover while engaging the operation of the awning. Whatcha think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bracket1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	87982   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	87983  

photography
Old 09-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
... try to secure the awning on the ends. ..
the turn buckles (rotary knobs) at EACH end ARE the primary means of securing the awning.

the turn buckles (rotary knobs) should always be snugged FIRST.

most streams before 98? or so only had the end knobs. my 79 stayed secure for 25 years with only the end knobs...

the center latch is a secondary means, added LATER in production as a back up to the knobs...

the center latch is now used on the window awnings too, but they are short clothed and don't need no steeekin' knobs.

IF you are not using the knobs on the patio awning, i can see how that center latch would rub...

assuming the center latch is properly positioned on the shell/skin, it is still only a secondary means of locking...

turn your knobs! turn your knobs...

cheers
2air'

Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
tweaking my knobs...
After I close the awning I have to push the shield up myself to get the knobs and arms to line up, but the fabric while rolling or catching gets pulled over the center bracket which is kind of sharp, up or down. The fabric doesn't clear. Sometimes the shield starts to unwind but binds in an area. It didn't rip in transit because then it is always flush against the Airstream and secure where it should be then. It rips during the lowering and raising, I think.

I don't think the holes were there before. I just found them today. I had the awning down drying, then raised it up to see what rubs. I am going to turn turn turn, my turn buckles now.

photography
Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
_

. , .
Quote:
...I don't think the holes were there before...
of course they weren't, y do u think we call 'em holes?

or as bones might say..."damn it jim i'm a doctor not a knoberator!"..."call scotty for your knob-probs..."

and i can just hear scotty reply...

"it does look like the catch hole for the hook is a wee bit high captn' and smoothin' off mee sharp edges is wise..."

"but the shields are down, we'll need 10 hours for repairs and i don't know how much more of this she can take capn' "

so just keep exercising the knobs, WORK those knobs carol and often!

at the very least it will be good for the skin.

cheers
2air'

Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
You're a hoot!! Glad you're back. It's fun to laugh. Do they pay you yet?

Zip Dee concurs. You and Scotty are absolutely right the catch hole is high and they have some patch fabric for me.

OH I got the hose and the pressure washer together!! UHUH!
Name:   egyptian.gif
Views: 136
Size:  4.2 KB

And I rinsed the awning much better. Thank you funny bunny.

photography
Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I want the egyptian gif... oh yeah.. Uh huh

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
This awning here rotted (or was rotted at the connection to the house...we cut it off with a box cutter and saved the welp cord that holds it in the 'C' rail and are going to remove completly the metal awning fixture from the house itself. Then will buy a tarp awning with the same welp cord built in and will do it this way from now on, just like in the old days, when most of you were just getting married ha!