Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
palm springs , California
Found The Awning Rail...yikes!

well I thought I didn't have one but i found it and its got the end of the old vinyl awning stuffed into it...Anyone have this issue? How will i get it out without ruining the rail?...I'm thinking i want a vintage type awning fron the Vintage Trailer Supply... anybody get one? How much trouble are they?...Do you bring a ladder with you to install? My husband always complains about setting up so I'm not sure about getting the vintage type...I keep telling him camping is "work"
happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The old awning should slide out of the rail to either the front or the rear. You will have to check to see how the old awning is secured into the rail. Sometimes a screw into the rail is used, sometimes the rail is pinched at the end.
The VTS stuff it awning is about half the cost of a new ZipDee, but alot more work every time you set it up. I put a new ZipDee on my trailer this year and could not be happier with it. I can set it up in about 3 minutes and most of that time is unlocking the hubs. I can roll it up (if the wind picks up) in less then a minute. I have a small step stool to help me reach the hubs and the awning rod to grab the loop. Installation was not hard and the instructions were easy to follow.
If the awning is wet when we pack up, I just unroll it at home for a short period to dry it out. I looked at the pros and cons of both awnings and went with the ZipDee.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote