Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Awning Bracket Question?

Just purchased 87 28 ft Soveriegn. Someone appears to have left awning up in wind and front and rear screws on the top brackets that hold main arm hinge bars on Zip Dee are stripped out of trailer body. Looks like I could go with some oversize screws. Could I squeeze in some JB Weld before hand? Has anyone had this problem and what could you suggest? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.-------Joe
JoeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Awning

Hi Joe,
Looks like you're all alone in there...
Maybe one of the moderators will get back to you. I think any of them would have an answer... I know Andy of Inland RV would. I have his 800 # somewhere...You can check back with me later, if you can't get anyone to come in and say 'hi'. & I'll dig it out for you.

Lots of posts today.
I have a problem with the "pulldown" strap of my Zip-Dee awning. It's made of the same canvas as the awning...and there's no way of getting a needle through the fabric.(i've tried...even with needle-nosed pliers)
..and it's too much weight to take the yanking of it to pull down a 25 foot awningto try to glue it---there isn't any kind of glue that could "hold" it.
I don't know how to fix it.
Weird that one little thing like that strap could make the whole thing inoperable.?? isn't it?

well..I'll notice any replies you may get now.
nice to make your acquaintance.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for offer!

May need that 800 # . Thanks for offer. Better get some sleep. Got a freight train to catch in morning. Will check back later--Joe
Old 07-31-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
pull down strap

I don't know the answer to Joe's question, but I have a suggestion for Cat based on my own experience. The pulldown strap on mine came off so I threaded plastic-coated clothesline through the two grommets on either side of the center grommet, then both ends back down through the center grommet. The clothesline is thin enough to roll back up with the awning. I left about a foot extra to grab and tied off the ends. When traveling I slide the grab portion underneath the edge of the kitchen vent.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know. I'll take pictures when I next visit my A/S.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Rivnuts

You may be able to install some larger threaded Rivnuts. I think that is what they are called, a threaded insert that fits into a correctly sized hole and then it it drawn together with a threaded arbor device, much like a rivet gun. They come in several thread sizes for different strength requirements. You see them on automobiles to hold roof racks, mirrors, deck spoilers, and such. I have used 1/4-20 Rivnuts and stainless steel bolts to hold down the shroud on my Armstrong a/c unit on my Overlander. Your awning arms should be attached to something more substantial than just the skin, there should be some structure behind the skin, a wall or roof rib most likely. I doubt that JB Weld would help any.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 12:21 AM   #6
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Awing Brackettes

>> Your awning arms should be attached to something more substantial than just the skin, there should be some structure behind the skin, a wall or roof rib most likely<<

WOW! That's is so good to think of that! AMEN ! It would be totally too weak to just attach to the skin alone! Here's where you need the manual to see exactly where they are. I would think the originally holes would be in the right spot...if you just find out from someone like Andy, what to do about those stressed out holes.

.........The jury's still out right?
But thank you Charles for that VITALLY IMPORTANT POINT.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:44 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
RivNuts

Like Chas, I would recommend reattaching with RivNuts. My former SOB TrailManor had the awning, rock shield, etc. all mounted with RivNuts by the factory.

When I stopped at the factory to have a cover put on the TrailManor rear window, I watched them install the brackets with RivNuts. I was impressed enough to buy myself a RivNut tool which has been handy a number of times since.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:54 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks to all for input. I'm off to find a RivNut tool. I'm guessing any good hardware store should carry them. I'm sure Ellliots Hardware in Dallas will have one.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:01 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Joe ,if you can't find one at a hardware store i would check a local fastener supplier , there is also another simalar protuct to Rivnut its called nutsert , Here are some links to help you see what you are lookin for http://www.bollhoff-rivnut.com/id27.htm , http://www.rivetsplus.com/featured_inserts.htm , BTW you dont need some speacial $600 tool to install these most suppliers have a hand version avail, but you can even homebrew something if your really need to .
Tom
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 07:38 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
You can buy a Rivnut kit from J.C. Whitney which has several different size inserts in aluminum or steel and the tool to install for $89.95. This is a handy tool to have for many different applications where you need to insert a threaded fastner into a blind application. There web site is www.jcw.com

Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 07:55 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Rivnut tool

Harbor Freight is where I bought mine. It appears to be exactly the same as the one used by the tech at the TrailManor factory. It came with an assortment of nuts.

I used it to install a number of items on the walls and ceiling of the TrailManor which uses an aluminum-foam-aluminum sandwich.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 05:36 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Thanks to all for the where to find help on fasteners. I really appreciate the tips and suggestions------------Joe
Old 09-04-2003, 01:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

The inner arm of my Zip Dee extension arm is frozen inside the outer shell. Unit was stored for two years.

Any suggestions on unfreezing...have already been the WD 40 route.

Anyone have rear ext. arm to sell.

Thanks in advance,
Old 09-17-2003, 11:24 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
I usually browse this forum in...

snatches, so I don't always stay current. Regarding JoeW's initial inquery and George's latest response, I've experienced both problems on with my 1986 31' Sovereign. The rear bottom bracket was actually broken when the ZipDee arm got caught up with the side of my barn (the barn didn't move - I committed a classic boo-boo). It yanked the screws from the body and broke the bracket in the process. I called ZipDee and ordered a new bracket, and a spare to boot (knowing I could easily commit boo-boo #2 some day). The holes in the torn skin were too big to accommodate the re-mount. I took a foot long 2X4 and placed it on the inside of the trailer, under the rear bunk, and then used longer bolts to go through both the bracket and the wall, and into the 2X4 to secure the bracket. I have a very tight fit with a sturdy mount, and you can't see the torn holes. I basically "hid" my own embarrassment. Don't you just love to tear up your own stuff? Now to George's dilemma with the ZipDee arms. ZipDee mailed me a catalog at my request. You can order any replacement piece to a ZipDee awning, regardless of how old the actual awning might be. The standard pieces of the frame just don't change much I was told. Delivery is quick by UPS, the folks are very friendly and accommodating, and the prices are reasonable - especially when you are desparate. I wish you both good luck.

Joe
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote