Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Adding a sunblocker to a Zip Dee

Hard to figure out where this goes, but I am disappointed by my Zip Dee. It seems to be high quality, but there is no slot to load a sunscreen or set of 'trailer trash lights'

The Zip Dee roller seems pretty strong so I am thinking of putting a small diameter plastic coated cable between the two end brackets with a turnbuckle to snug it up, and then hanging my Carefree sunblocker off of it.

I don't know why one of the best awnings (apparently excluding the powered fiasco) doesn't solve the problem of no sunscreen slot.

Has anybody tried the concept of a small snugged up cable to hang a sunblocker on?
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Solar Shade

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I installed one of the sunblockers as specified by ZipDee and it made a big difference for us. I like it as they designed it.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
How much are those? They have no prices on the website.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

$179
Old 12-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Thanks for that link. The awning on my Interstate is a Fiamma, not a Zip Dee, but it still looks like I can use it, thanks to the bolt-rope at the top edge.

I'm currently using a vaguely similar sunshade that has grommets on all four edges, but it's a pain having to install 13 hangers and 13 hooks to hang up my 12-foot-long sinshade.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I installed one of the sunblockers as specified by ZipDee and it made a big difference for us. I like it as they designed it.
Larry
How is it attached to the awning, to the tube or the flap?
Can it be moved toward front or rear after it is installed?
A photo of the connection would be great.
Thanks!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

No pics as the AS is in storage and the awning is rolled up. ZipDee provides snaps and rivets to attach to the roller(awning extended). The shade easily snaps to the roller snaps. They also provide extra snaps so that you can place the shade at different positions along the roller. You need to drill into the roller and you need to have a rivet gun. I think there are installation instructions available on the ZipDee website.
Larry
Old 12-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Raceland , Louisiana
Easy to install

Takes less than one hour to install

Sorry can't picture to load.
slabatFB25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have a Zip Dee shade but have not yet installed it. I carry it with me along with my rivet gun but it's a " one of these days " job. Probably a bright sunny day when we're facing the wrong direction. The thing I liked about it was that the snaps you install do not interfere with the rolling up of the awning. I do, however, like the way some of the other manufacturers use a tube with a slot for such things. I did get the extra snaps to allow for shifting the screen.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
CAREFREE Sunblocker on Zip Dee Awning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rossbach View Post
... I am disappointed by my Zip Dee. It seems to be high quality, but there is no slot to load a sunscreen or set of 'trailer trash lights'

The Zip Dee roller seems pretty strong so I am thinking of putting a small diameter plastic coated cable between the two end brackets with a turnbuckle to snug it up, and then hanging my Carefree sunblocker off of it.

I don't know why one of the best awnings (apparently excluding the powered fiasco) doesn't solve the problem of no sunscreen slot.

Has anybody tried the concept of a small snugged up cable to hang a sunblocker on?

I don't know if I wasn't clear, but the question involved identifying ways to put a Carefree /Sunblocker on a Zip Dee awning, not how to put a Zip Dee version at twice the price on a Zip Dee awing. I can think of a number of ways to do it, but all of us are smarter than some of us, so I thought I would see if some more experienced and more clever Airstreamer had already figured this out. Thanks one more time.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Buy the zip dee. You will like it.

They are more expensive for a reason.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Dan,
I got a sun screen from Purdy Good Stuff in New Port Richey, FL. 315-317-4856. I think it was 12' long. Lynn Purdy, the owner, told me how to install snaps on the awning tube. You drill through the fabric into the tube and install the snaps with screws. Then for the ground anchors you use stakes or screw in anchors and bungee straps that fasten to the screen with grommets. I don't recall the price, but it wasn't unreasonable. It worked "Purdy" good and wasn't difficult to install.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Silver.Sanct- I am asking the exact same question. I have a 2017 Classic 30 that came with the ZipDee awning. Then without taking a closer look I went ahead and bought the Sunblocker by Carefree. The package arrived today. Now I am trying to figure out HOW to make this work. I thought about adding simple Velcro but it wasn't strong enough so now I am stuck. I don't want to damage the brand new awning but I really need to figure a way to attach the SunBlocker. It needs to be simple and I need to be able to remove the Sunblocker shades when it's time to head out on the road or when the awning is enough.
Please help!
Thanks,
Lauri
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This how ZD does it. The sun room also attaches to the same snaps plus a few more.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/7f90b8f5ae76...&alloworigin=1

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Silver.Sanct- I am asking the exact same question. I have a 2017 Classic 30 that came with the ZipDee awning. Then without taking a closer look I went ahead and bought the Sunblocker by Carefree. The package arrived today. Now I am trying to figure out HOW to make this work. I thought about adding simple Velcro but it wasn't strong enough so now I am stuck. I don't want to damage the brand new awning but I really need to figure a way to attach the SunBlocker. It needs to be simple and I need to be able to remove the Sunblocker shades when it's time to head out on the road or when the awning is enough.
Please help!
Thanks,
Lauri
Could you place the spine edging along the crease then just retract the awning a few inches to roll in in-between? In would come up a little but maybe not too much to make a difference. just a thought.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Does your roller have a second groove in it? The one the pull belt is in? I thought the sun blocker just slid in?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
That's the problem with the Zip Dee awnings, the fabric goes all the way around the roller and there is no slot, which is why one has to install snaps on the roller.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Harpers Ferry , West Virginia
Could you rivet or screw a piece of awning rail to the tube this would be the same as the slot on the carefree awning.
KMantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivitman1 View Post
Could you rivet or screw a piece of awning rail to the tube this would be the same as the slot on the carefree awning.
I would be concerned about sharp edges chafing the fabric. There is a lot of tension and stress on the system.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote