Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Soquel , California
A&E Restoration Using Sunbrella Fabric

Hello out there in Airforum land!

We custom ordered a replacement awning canopy from Dometic with Sunbrella Fabric, but it appears that (despite the fact we gave the factory our awning's exact measurements) both the canopy and the awning cover they shipped us are each about a foot shorter than the old stock awning fabric and the coil tube we are trying to put it on.

This doesn't seem right, but on the other hand, the folks at Dometic were super nice in making the custom canopy in the first place so I would rather not come off as ungrateful or unreasonable, or worse yet, ignorant. So before I call them up, is there something I am missing here?

Also, does anybody think it odd that the brighter side of the fabric was positioned on the underside of the canopy instead of the top side? I'm wondering if this a tradition I didn't know about or just an oversight by whoever was working at the factory the day they sewed it.

Inquiring minds want to know...
Datta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
no, that does not seem right. do you have an invoice or paperwork with the measurements you gave them?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datta View Post
Also, does anybody think it odd that the brighter side of the fabric was positioned on the underside of the canopy instead of the top side? I'm wondering if this a tradition I didn't know about or just an oversight by whoever was working at the factory the day they sewed it.
I'm actually kind of surprised that it has a bright side and a dim side. You might have gotten Sunbrella Plus instead of regular marine-grade Sunbrella. Sunbrella Plus has a polyurethane under-coat to improve water resistance. The undercoat may make it look brighter.

Does the bright side have a different feel than the dim side? If so, that would probably be due to the polyurethane under-coat.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Call 'em.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Datta, that they made the cover for you is not being "super nice", it is business. It is what they do. If they screwed up the sizing it is on them to fix the problem. Contact them as soon as possible.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Soquel , California
Thanks all! Your observations and comments pretty much mirrored what my thoughts were on the matter as well.

I called the folks at Dometic regarding the fabric direction issue and they quite cheerfully agreed to replace it at no charge. Best of all, they agreed to make the replacement awning a foot longer like it should have been in the first place. Whether it was me or them that screwed up the length never really came up in the conversation, and it was nice to be able to let sleeping dogs lie.

Bottom line: Dometic gets 5 stars from me for customer service. As do all of you, my fine forum friends

Cheers,
Datta
Datta is offline   Reply With Quote