Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Billings , Montana
Undecided

This is my first posting and I hope I dont embarass this sight or myself....I have an opportunity to purchase a 1968 Globetrotter for $2000....It has been sitting for 2 years...The tanks would need to be replaced, and the toilet has been removed for a porta potty....Why this was done I dont know....The skin has a very dull finish and would definitely have to be polished....I forgot to say that it was a 19 ft trailer.....I guess what I want to know is if it is worth that much.......Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated..
guti123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Just...

... do it!

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by guti123
This is my first posting and I hope I dont embarass this sight or myself....I have an opportunity to purchase a 1968 Globetrotter for $2000....It has been sitting for 2 years...The tanks would need to be replaced, and the toilet has been removed for a porta potty....Why this was done I dont know....The skin has a very dull finish and would definitely have to be polished....I forgot to say that it was a 19 ft trailer.....I guess what I want to know is if it is worth that much.......Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated..
The potty may have been pulled due to leaking holding tanks. The other very real possibility is that the water system may be shot and you have cracked waterlines due to a lack of proper winterizing. Be aware that you could have furnace, water heater, refrigerator issues on top of all of this. Be really careful about what you are getting into here. If you are the kind of person not intimidated by these kinds of things then go for it. If you are like me, there are things I can and cannot accomodate. I know my limitations.

Don't be worried about asking questions. Lots of folks here to advise you. Dependent upon the issues with this trailer, you could end up putting more into it than spending more upfront for one that might be in better condition.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome to the Forums. There is really no way to embarass yourself here by asking questions. So ask away as the level of knowledge here is stagering.

Theres a boatload of questions about its condition that need to be answered. How are the axles. Is the floor soft anywhere. Do the appliences work. Any sign of water leaks. etc. etc.

To me it comes down to are you handy repairing things? Do you love this trailer?

If you want an idea of what you are facing post pictures of all four exterior sides and the interior. There are people here that at a glance can tell you all sorts of things about condition and what you are facing.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Most things on an Airstream can be fixed, if you have either the will or the cash. Parts (mostly) are still available or new alternatives are available.

Small trailers are most highly sought after.

The thing that is often the toughest to fix is the body. Polishing is fairly straightforward, but if there are dents, rips or other damage to exterior segments, they are problematic to repair. Plumbing, gaskets tanks, and appliances are fairly standard repair /replace items on a trailer this vintage as well as running gear - brakes and axles. Do you know much about the body condition?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Consider the $2K as a down payment. The next step is to try and estimate how much is it going to cost to get the trailer the way you want it. Things can add up in a hurry and turn a good deal into a money pit.

Take a look at this document:
Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
It is a good reference to value and cost. It is a little dated and most of the dollar amounts are a little low.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Consider the $2K as a down payment
Amen baby......
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I third that comment - having rebuilt one of these trailers from the ground up I can tell you the purchase price in my case was a small down payment.

We put a porta potty in ours because I don't like messing with dump stations and we don't do #2 in the trailer because as long as I've owned trailers I have a rule that you do the #2 and you dump it - so far no takers.

I would say if the shell is good shape, no major frame rust, $2,000 is a very good price.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
2K would definitly be a down payment. The rest depends upon your pocket book, carpentry/mechanical skills and spirit of adventure (read: it's what's under the skin & out of sight that will come as a surprise later on). Besides the issues you brought up, what is the general condition? Does it sag? Is the floor "bouncy" in different areas? When you open up cabinets & service panels, are things in good shape? Do you have a friend who has a good eye/sense and most importantly IMPARTIAL looking at it with you?

And... how vested are you in restoring an American Icon and calling it yours?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Consider the $2K as a down payment. The next step is to try and estimate how much is it going to cost to get the trailer the way you want it. Things can add up in a hurry and turn a good deal into a money pit.

Take a look at this document:
Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values
It is a good reference to value and cost. It is a little dated and most of the dollar amounts are a little low.
My thoughts exactly.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Billings , Montana
My thanks to all who responded to my questions...Reading Price vs Condition- Airstream Values was rewarding and very informative.....It should be required reading to those in the same position as myself....It seems to me that small size trailers are in demand.....Thanks again for all the help.....

Arnie F.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Billings , Montana
My thanks to all who responded to my questions...Reading Price vs Condition- Airstream Values was rewarding and very informative.....It should be required reading to those in the same position as myself....It seems to me that small size trailers are in demand.....Thanks again for all the help.....

Arnie F.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Do it.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)