Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
Stripped but really dull????

Hello, I have a 71 Sovereign and we have used the PPG peroxide stripper. It appears to have stripped all of the clear coat off since it feels smoothish.

The lower panels have a decent bare metal look but the upper have are a really light gray color and feel kind of rough.

I have tried up high in a spot or two to hit it with a buffer and some rubbing compound and it seems to have little effect.

I am looking for the best product and advice on cutting through this rough dull stuff.

I am looking at the typical Nuvite, but I also have some other products I can find at a local aircraft supply called Aircraft Spruce.

Anyone used Jet Stream products?

As stated, I am quite sure the clear is stripped and the surface is clean, but still very rough and beyond dull.

Help... We are on a VERY tight schedule to finish the kids house. 3 weeks and 4 days till the wedding and 2 week honeymoon so I have under 40 days to finish polishing, seal it all up well, spray insulate, and repanel the inner skin and set the fixtures...I know, VERY aggressive plan.
MacDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Caswell and Jetsco. Look at their sites. Start with the yellow wheel of Jetsco...move to the sewn cotton wheel (double them up..2 per collate) use the rouge bars they recommend. Then wool bonnet with something like Nuvite C. Finish with the Nuvite S and a Cyclo.....wipe it all with micro fiber and flour or corn starch to remove all the black residues. Two weeks? You better get going.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
2 coats of PPG stripper and LOTS of scrubbing and still looks the same milky, not milky like faded clear coat, just heavily oxidized bare aluminum. I have hit it with the course aluminum polish and Sisal buff pad and it doesn't want to shine up. I went up high, out of sight and what will be under the white roof paint, and sanded it with 400g, then 600g, then 800g wet sand paper and then the course cutting polish and buffer and she shines like chrome...guess the majority of the whole rig is going to have to be sanded...1,2,3-1,2,3...cha cha cha...dancing in circles here.
MacDad is offline   Reply With Quote