Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Moose Snot

I don't post here often because most topics are already covered much better than I am capable of. However, today I came across an issue that I haven't seen covered before.

About a month ago, we left the Tradewind unattended up in the Bighorns for a few days. When we returned, there were smudges all around the trailer about six feet from the ground, and one of the turn signal lights was turned askew. Other evidence scattered around on the ground suggested a malicious moose was to blame. I suspect it was checking out its reflection in the polished aluminum.

Today I went out to wash the Airstream, and the moose smudges did not wash off well. I had to get the Cyclo out and polish them out.

So, here's something to add to you checklists; wash moose snot off the trailer before it dries thoroughly.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Well this is a first. Reminder to self...when camping in Bighorns, bring Moose snot remover. Got it!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
This is EXACTLY why I read these forums.

I'm heading to the Gaspe, where I'm told there are many moose. I've never encountered the MS problem before, through Alaska and western Canada, but I'll keep an eye out for those pesky smudges!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Isn't this the time of year that the males start rubbing the velvet off their antlers? Be happy it was something you could buff off. Had he seen his reflection in your shiny trailer, he may have mistaken it for another male trespassing in his territory and you might be looking for a dent puller!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Wild animal encounters -- Oh, the horror!

Once upon a time, there was a small SOB...

One morning, awakened by a back-and-forth motion, I pulled back the sash to see if an earthquake devastated the land of booning docks where we had anchored for nigh a fortnight.

And, what was I to see, but an old cow who turned and looked me straight away while continuing to scratch against our trailer's corner. As soon as the mottled maid cast her eyes upon my face, she and her friends moseyed from our campsite, back to the open field from whence they had came.

Fortunately, this animal encounter was the most ferocious of all in our many years of booneth docking. And, while many wild animals were sighted, none ever attacked so viciously as this terrifying beast!

Alas, with their withdrawal, the trespassers scattered undisguised germ warfare mines within our campsite, which, when forgotten and rediscovered by foot, scarred our nostrils and tainted our boots for long after the initial exposure. -- Oh, the horror!

==========

Note to Administrators: Please delete this post if I have strayed too far afield, and have thus inadvertently hijacked this thread. My apologies to the original poster...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Phoenix, I think you post is right on target for this particular thread...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
I don't post here often because most topics are already covered much better than I am capable of. However, today I came across an issue that I haven't seen covered before.

About a month ago, we left the Tradewind unattended up in the Bighorns for a few days. When we returned, there were smudges all around the trailer about six feet from the ground, and one of the turn signal lights was turned askew. Other evidence scattered around on the ground suggested a malicious moose was to blame. I suspect it was checking out its reflection in the polished aluminum.

Today I went out to wash the Airstream, and the moose smudges did not wash off well. I had to get the Cyclo out and polish them out.

So, here's something to add to you checklists; wash moose snot off the trailer before it dries thoroughly.
So, a moose tagged your Tradewind... I think moosetags would have loved to have been there to photograph the event!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
So, a moose tagged your Tradewind... I think moosetags would have loved to have been there to photograph the event!
I believe that this occurred very near one of the areas Moostags photographed moose last year. I would have liked to see it as well, but I doubt the moose would have showed up if we had been there. The dog would have had a fit.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote