Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #21

Currently Looking...
Palm springs , California
All newer airstreams are satin finish with clearcoat. ( like the refrigerator in your house)The old airstream are the ones that will polish up to mirror shine easier.
Apdpsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
It can be both. When the clearcoat starts failing, the exposed aluminum starts to oxidize - unevenly at that. The areas that have been exposed longer will be more oxidized and the areas still protected by the clearcoat will not have oxidized yet.

To determine if you do still have clear coat:
  • wash a small test area with warm soapy water
  • let it dry
  • take a tiny dab of toothpaste and gently rub it on the clean skin with your finger
  • if it turns black > no clearcoat
  • if it doesn't turn black > there is still intact clearcoat

The clearcoat when it fails can look "milky" - if you strip it, the aluminum underneath can still be shiny - but areas adjacent will be unaffected by stripping. As mentioned before, Airstreams were never "mirror-like" or annodized when new. The "satin" finish is a mill finish on the aluminum from manufacturing which can be polished out to a mirror finish if desired.

Shari
Yes...This is what the "Frantic Banana" looked like after I abandoned polishing and graduated to a good 'cleaning' with green scotchpads....and waited 7 yrs. 🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58B848A1-A337-4563-A445-29A41D65A94D_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	722.3 KB
ID:	402986  
Old 08-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
I will admit, I haven’t read this whole thread but the bottom line is our motorhomes and most trailers have Plasticoat. It isn’t a clear coat, it was formulated by airstream and is no longer used or manufactured. The new trailers use aluminum sheets coated by Alclad prior to arriving to airstream

There is no re-coating possible with a similar product. It is a “live with it” or strip and polish

Know this, the coating significantly reduces surface temps in the sun! If you don’t believe me, touch the spot where it has flaked off and compare to the intact section. I would discourage stripping it and leaving it. May make it un-livable in the summer months
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #24
BeemerPilot

1975 29' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Texas polishing?

Is there anywhere in Texas that will polish and satin coat out ‘75 Ambassador? We’re in Austin but will travel. Thanks!
BeemerPilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerPilot2 View Post
Is there anywhere in Texas that will polish and satin coat out ‘75 Ambassador? We’re in Austin but will travel. Thanks!
Give Paul at A&P Vintage Trailer Works a call in Paradise, Tx. If he doesn’t do it anymore, he should know who does. Good luck
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
Finding polishers in Texas is easy. Finding someone to "satin" the trailer is the hard part

I am the shop foreman at a&p, and do polish trailers on the side at times.

I have picked up a burnishing machine, which can recreate the 'satin' finish you are after. However, I mush warn you that no matter how much I try, there still might be streaking and a "mottled" appearance due to the nature of the beast, and the relatively small (4") width of commonly available wheels on the market.

If it's something you think you might be interested in, please shoot me a PM.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerPilot2 View Post
Did you find someone to satin your trailer?
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote