Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #1

Grapevine , Texas
Is this clearcoat or did some paint?

Started to strip my '76 LY. I thought that it was just the clear coat, but now I'm thinking maybe someone painted it. There seems to be 2 layers before you get to the bare AL.....a dark gray, and then this green layer.

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Could this be paint and primer?

I'm having a hard time getting down to the bare AL. I've used ElDoraldo, Jasco, and Aircraft Striper.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4242.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	284908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4243.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	284909  

Name:	IMG_4244.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	284910  
talnrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello and welcome to Airstream Forums. It's a good website on all things Airstream.

I have stripped two trailers with Aircraft Stripper, a 86 and a 66. The "junk" on your trailer is nothing like I've ever seen before. It rather looks like someone was going to strip it (without removing the Airstream letters) and then left the stripper on for a long time. Aircraft Stripper is removed after about 15 minutes on the surface. Or maybe someone tried some acid etch solution that "brightens" aluminum wheels or some other chemical. It it were automotive paint, it would come off with Aircraft Stripper. By the way, I "stained" my 86 trailer with Removal stripper by leaving it on overnight. I had a lot of work to do to polish these stains out. I don't use Removal anymore. But it was me, not the product. I left it on too long.

In severely corroded aluminum, I recommend Nuvite G or the other "coarse grit" compound (can't remember the letter grade) with your wool bonnet and polisher at about 2000 rpm. It will create lots of swirl marks, but you can work those out by progressing to finer grades of polish. You might experiment and see if you can cut this crud off. Your polish job is going to be harder than average.

Nuvite polish grit will "stick" in clear coat and turn it black. The black can't be wiped off with mineral spirits. So out comes the Aircraft Stripper.

There is a ton of information on these forums on stripping and polishing vintage Airstreams. Some very crummy looking trailers can be improved significantly. Nuvite is the best product and process in my view. You can't hurt the aluminum with Nuvite polishes.

Good luck with your project. Here is a photo of me stripping a section of my old 66 Trade Wind. You can see the Aircraft Stripper working on the clear coat, and you don't see much of anything on the bare aluminum.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1311 Stripper Working 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	134
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	284911  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #3

Grapevine , Texas
Thanks for the reply. It's not from acid or stripper. It was gray all over, these pictures are of me stripping through the process.

The green looks like it actually has brush marks in it. So, that's why I'm leaning on someone actually painting the trailer.

As the green comes off, you can see the bare AL shinning underneath. I'm just trying to figure out what the top two layers could be.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Really no telling... choose a spot.. attack there.. you will know how to address the process
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
The green looks like it could be zinc chromate primer.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Zinc chromate primer is my guess, it was used all the time on aluminum aircraft. I'd try googling how to remove that and see what you come up with. Great primer unless you need to remove it.
ggimlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
I know this will make all polishers chringe. But my trailer was so badly pitted and stripper did not seem to remove any remaining clear coat, that I sanded it with 320! Then 600, then I could start using polish, looks ok now. Never going to be a mirror.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I'll agree that it looks like zinc chromate primer. But, chromate should come off with Aircraft Stripper, no problem, and yours doesn't. Soak a rag with strong solvent, MEK would be my choice, and rub it hard. Chromate will come off fairly easily with that.

There are some epoxy-based aircraft primers (Google Stits brand) that come in that same ugly green. They can be stripped, but are much more resistant to strippers. Other than using repeat applications of Aircraft Stripper until the stuff softens, I don't know. Maybe the people at Stits can be of help.

Good luck. And welcome to the forums.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #9

Grapevine , Texas
Thanks for all the help!

So, came up with a strategy involving Aircraft Stripper and a non-abrasive pad. After applying the stripper, I was able to use the non-abrasive pad to "gum" up the mystery green layer. It actually came off fairly easy that way. Almost like an eraser. It gets me down to bare metal at least.

My question would be, was this a factory option? Being that it's around the Airstream lettering, and around the belly bands, it's almost too clean to have been down by a PO. I just wouldn't think that this would come out of the factory that way.

Anyway, appreciate all the feedback. Maybe this will help someone else.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Never heard of a factory painted Airstream, only Argosies were painted. My guess is that one of you PO's was an aircraft painter by trade.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Your "non abrasive pad" is a good idea. They are often used to remove vinyl pinstriping and the like. I purchased a 3M wheel. I tried it on my trailer's faded, sun cracked vinyl to no avail. Aircraft Stripper bubbled up the vinyl easily and I just scraped it off with a plastic scraper.

I'm glad the guys got you an answer and you developed a process to get the green stuff off of your trailer.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote