Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Removing Red Numbers and WBCCI Badge

Mine have only been on for two years, so don't know how this will work with numbers that have been on longer, but it sure worked for me.

I learned and adapted this from a automotive tint applicator who was removing old tint.

1. Cut a black plastic garbage bag to a size to cover the area of interest.
2. Mix a solution of sudsy ammonia and water and put it in a spray bottle. I used about 8 parts water to 1 part ammonia. When removing tint film on my previous truck I used plain ammonia full strength, but that was on glass. I was concerned that there might be finish damage to the Airstream so I went with a diluted solution but still stronger than the bottle recommended.
3. Spray the area liberally, cover with the garbage bag and go have a glass of your favorite beverage for an hour or so.
4. Remove the bag over one decal. Using a fingernail or a plastic scraper tool, lift a corner and carefully work it to get the full width of the number. Pull slowly, and when you have lifted an inch or so, move your grip closer to the area where the decal is pulling away from the skin. Try to always pull parallel to the run of the decal. When going around a curve in the number, pull more on the outside edge to keep the line where the decal is pulling away from the skin running straight across the width of the number.
5. If the decal tears, start over at a corner of the tear or another part of the number.
6. Repeat as necessary.
7. I used GooGone and a plastic scraper to get any remaining cement off the skin and followed up with windex and then some automotive polish.

Yesterday I tried this on the front with Windex with Ammonia. It worked but the decals kept tearing and seemed to be tighter on the skin. It took over an hour of difficult work to get the four numbers off. Today, using the ammonia solution, I got four numbers and the WBCCI roundel off in less than ten minutes.

Hopefully I will be posting pictures of our new (to us) trailer in a week or so.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
red numbers

A quick and simple way to remove those things, is have a wet thick towel, and a hot iron from mama.

Place the towel over the parts to be removed, place the iron over that spot, which softens it because of the steam you generated.

Or, if available, use a steam cleaner.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Glad the trip worked out, and looking forward to photos etc..

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Glad the trip worked out, and looking forward to photos etc..

Peter
Not yet Peter. Day of reckoning is yet to come. I just didn't want to be taking the numbers off away from home in the cold.

Al
Old 02-01-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calgary , Alberta
I believe the numbers should be just sign vinyl and should come off with a hair dryer and a little patients. You can also get a can of decal remover for stubborn ones. Call a sign supply place they will most likely have the decal remover. You could also try Pep boys or any other automotive supply as they may have it.
DaKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A quick and simple way to remove those things, is have a wet thick towel, and a hot iron from mama.

Place the towel over the parts to be removed, place the iron over that spot, which softens it because of the steam you generated.

Andy
Thanks Andy,

I'll try one of those next time. I had read about people using heat guns but I was afraid of blistering the clearcoat.

Al
Old 02-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Lincoln , California
I removed mine with a hair drier. Easy BUT now there is a ghost image I can't remove. I can only see it when the light is just right.
Bigbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Just removed mine using Andy's suggestion of an iron(set high on steam) over a wet towel. Was able to peel them off. Sticky residue finally came off easily with brush cleaner and a plastic putty knife. Now just blend in image with compound and buffer.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
Mine came off with the aircraft stripper I used to remove the clear coat. Had to hit it a couple times, then with the pressure washer.
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy

Hey Andy, awesome tip , I removed some numbers today that had been on ten plus years and they peeled off very easy. Thanks
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote