Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Los Gatos , California
Wet carpet next to refrigerator wall return

I have a 2004, AS-28 S.O. with a single AC ceiling mounted unit, located in line with the return wall that encloses the refrigerator. The floors carpet next to the wall is soaked?

We have had severe rain storms over the past five years, but never any leakage?

IN MY LAST LIFE I HAD AN A/C GASKET FAILED AND FLOODED MY OLD TRAILER DIRECTLY UNDER THE UNIT ON THE FLOOR.
Has anyone experienced a failed gasket on their 14 year old AS?
Thank you,...Silver Zep
Silver Zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Its easy to remove the interior trim and see the gasket area.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Many years ago, the outside plastic cover over our AC cracked slightly and leaked quite badly. Replacing the cover took care of the problem. As AlinCAl says, removing the inner cover is easy and, with our leak, there was enough water present in the frame/gasket area to know that the leak was from the AC.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Silver Zep - I just discovered my 2003 28' Safari SO suffered the same issue today. We have had record high rain lately (especially the last two nights) and I found water in the trash can which was sitting under the AC unit. (It fits between the dinette and reefer so it ends up under the AC when the slide is in.)

There wasn't much water, but I going to backtrack the leak as there were a few drops still clinging to the interior AC cover. I cleaned the coils and drain line last fall before winter storage so I suspect either the gasket or possible crack in the shroud cover. You are not alone!

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Nicholasville , Kentucky
Our 2005 Classic 28’ recently developed a leak from the AC, wasn’t raining at the time; open it up and the plastic drain had several stress crack where the drain line is attached.
A quick trip to Lowe’s and a 2 part plastic epoxy took care of the leak.

Last month I had replaced the outside cover, hopefully we are dry for now.

Take the inside cover off and the metal plate to see the drain.
KYShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Zep View Post
I have a 2004, AS-28 S.O. with a single AC ceiling mounted unit, located in line with the return wall that encloses the refrigerator. The floors carpet next to the wall is soaked?

We have had severe rain storms over the past five years, but never any leakage?

IN MY LAST LIFE I HAD AN A/C GASKET FAILED AND FLOODED MY OLD TRAILER DIRECTLY UNDER THE UNIT ON THE FLOOR.
Has anyone experienced a failed gasket on their 14 year old AS?
Thank you,...Silver Zep
You did not say if the AC unit was running or not. Or, if it rained or not. Do you suspect condensation or a leak from the exterior?

Unless it has been change, your AC has a plastic drip pan. As the pan ages in becomes brittle and cracks. I've had to remove two cracked pans. If you find a cracked pan, consider using the drip cup kit in lieu of the pan.

The gasket is foam rubber. If it is not compressed correctly it can leak. This can be remedied by tightening the bolts that hold the AC down to the roof to the proper torque. (torque to 40 to 50 inch pounds, or compress the gasket to 50% of it thickness, ~.75 inches)

Have you looked to see if water is dripping out of the drain tube? Mud daubers and spiders can block the drain tube so that it overflows at the bottom of the AC unit.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Nicholasville , Kentucky
A W Warn, just picked up the cups and a new seal kit from the factory. Waiting to install this summer, what is the proper torque? My metal plate has 3 bolts, I know that I have them tight, but guessing on this. Don’t want it to fly off.
KYShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYShelby View Post
A W Warn, just picked up the cups and a new seal kit from the factory. Waiting to install this summer, what is the proper torque? My metal plate has 3 bolts, I know that I have them tight, but guessing on this. Don’t want it to fly off.
If you are using the drip cups you need to use two gaskets. Using only one gasket will let the cups contact the roof and the vibration during travel can crack the cups. The gasket that is adhered to the AC gets cut, then a second adhered to the first is placed next to the roof.

The instructions from Dometic tells how to cut the gasket to allow the pipes to penetrate without compressing the tubes. The two gaskets should be compressed 50%, to the thickness of one gasket. (~1.5") I think the 40 to 50 inch pounds still applies, because the drip cup instruction refers back to the original AC installation instructions. I did not measure torque. I finger started the bolts then used my cordless impact driver to tighten until the gaskets compressed correctly. 3+ years since install, no leaks.

Here is a link to the instruction>
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...structions.pdf

ps:
The placement of the support blocks behind the 14" opening is important. If they are not there the AC unit will not set level and there will be excessive up/down movement in the part that cantilevers behind the opening. That could damage the metal/roof. I placed the support blocks so that they set on top of a rib, not exactly as dimensioned on the instruction.