Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I get steamed just looking at prices in their stores.
The bottom line is that you paid for services that were not rendered. Demand a refund.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you might want to see if the BBB or other agencies have any reports on file. it might help determine if this is a pattern at this shop.

i'd be reluctant to let them 'correct' the repairs, since personal safety in many areas is involved. i'l let the shop have a different tech and a manager inspect the visible work without dismantling anything and demand a full refund on the spot. even if was one bad apple, someone was suppost to oversee the work done by the tech. if this is a reputable shop they will gladly give the refund and deal with the tech.

as mentioned, document as much as possible and bring witnesses to court if you end up there.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 AM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Right now, there are 22 members and 2 guests reading this thread. I'm looking at renewing my "Presidents Club" membership. Camping World salesmen, are you listening?

Me too, Had one right around the corner, Do I want to renew, and travel 160k to the store? Not
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
At least they did not bugger up your Airstream trying to fix something they don't know anything about. Taking an Airstream to Camping World is kind of like taking your Porsche to Sears.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
And this is the same Camping World that Thor Industries just loaned 10 million to?
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #26
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I would be very pissed. Down right might I say a rip off.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
The squeaky wheel gets the grease, go in there start making a little noise ( notifying the BBB, sm. claims, corporate, friends, Good Sam Club, etc. etc. etc.). I don't think in this economy they want any nagative issues or unsatisfied customers. BTW what is their policy on customer satisfaction? Clearly you are NOT satisfied!!

GOOD LUCK!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I bailed on them years ago because of their crummy service and lack of knowledge. They must feed on the rookies to stay in business.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
When my A/C quit on the 78 Argosy, Camping World told me they couldn't put a new Coleman on without having a special made $800.00 drip pan for it. They also told me that no other A/C units would work on an Airstream product. I called Inland RV and a very nice lady told me to get a Carrier and put it on. I did just that and guess what, it does fit and work perfectly. The only other time I tried Camping World they just flat told me "no one will work on those old Airstream trailers any more". Made me mad enough to drop my membership and find another RV man to work on both my trailers. An independent RV repair place that is happy for my business and knows me by name now.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Houston , Texas
FYI - the CW located just west of Houston on I-10 now has new Airstreams on their lot. Have not varified to see if they are the new local dealer - but it sure looks that way.
28totow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Ouch!...I know somebody has probably has already said this but you should have came here first for the low down. Everyone would have talked you through the whole process of owning a new to you trailer. rrrrrrrrrrrr....that gets me mad that you found the daubers...definately check here first, there are many willing to help with all your questions. This place is great.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Trailer Life magazine has a column where they help people who believe they've been ripped off. You might write them and give these guys some unwelcome publicity.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down No Recall..

Wouldn't even give the Airstream an appointment!
two miles away.....
Old 03-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda View Post
...This place is great.
This place is great. Buuttt, I hate that every time someone here has a bad experience like nick6930 had, so many members automatically start yelling, BBB, ATTORNEY GENERAL, GET A LAWYER, DOCUMENT, TAKE PICTURES, TELL EVERYBODY YA KNOW, RAISE H--L, GIVE EM BAD PUBLICITY etc.

I have a seventeen year old daughter whose philosophy is to scream until she gets her way. Unfortunately it works pretty well for her - but it's a bad philosophy to carry into adulthood. The dog that barks the loudest gets the bone - until he gets the boot.

We shouldn't assume that a member who complains about someones' service is 100% in the right and without fault. In this instance we haven't seen the repair order, we haven't seen the trailer and we haven't heard CW's side of the story.

I'm a provider of automotive services and I don't see too many unhappy customers. But when I do and when I am given the chance to discuss the problem it is just as often a misunderstanding on the customers' part as it is the fault of my shop, and I will always endeavor to correct any problem quickly and at my own expense (pat self on back here.) But, if the unhappy customer turns out to be a jerk - well I can be a jerk right back.

If you (any of you) have had a bad experience with someones' service you should not assume that you are the only one, nor should you assume everyone gets the same bad service. Resolve your issue if you can and then don't go back. BTW, the comment I made earlier about driving through the front of the building was a joke.

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
As good a definition of fraud as I've seen.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post
Hey I am new to the travel trailer world so when I bought my new 79 Argosy I wanted someone to check the thing out and let me know what I was in for. I spent over $1000 for them to give it:
Nick

Oh, crap. I just noticed you're from Front Royal. Did you go to the CW just outside of DC? I'll buy stuff there, but when it comes to service on my baby I go to the mothership.

Wow. Let us know if you'd like us to do a letter writing campaign. I'm willing to boycott the store if they don't make it right for you ---- and if you knew what I spend on the A/S that's a serious threat.

Paula
Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
As RBolton said you guys are commenting on 1 side of the story. Did he inspect the work before signing off on the service contract?
ronpovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
My comment was from personal experience so I know of what I speak. No screaming, no whining, no name calling until I get what I want. I just made the decision to NOT let Camping World personnel tell me lies any longer. It was meant to inform others and not to get people to "take my side". I buy things from Camping World, but I now know they don't like to nor want to work on classic Airstreams. I just wanted others to know the facts of my case.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:45 AM   #39
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I have a CW here in Chattanooga and they have been very honest with me about working on my Airstream. As long as it is general trailer items such as repacking bearings, brakes, water pump, etc., they do a good job. However, when it comes to awnings and such that is particular to Airstream, they shy away from it. When I had to have a rear end sag problem corrected, they immediately told me they could not do it and made suggestions on who to contact. I appreciate this honesty and continue to purchase items from them. However, I use someone else for maintenance.

I realize that every store is different. It all depends on the employees. Good luck with your situation. I hope you are able to work it out.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
I must say WOW. I have to give you all a lot of credit here at the forums. You really do stick up for another and I must say thank you.

I do want to say that I am not looking at suing anyone. I do have to agree with RBolton with the fact there are two sides of the story. Being a newbie maybe I am missing something. I also have to agree with Ronpovey that maybe I should have inspected the work. However, I don't know what I am inspecting. That is why I paid for the 45 point inspection and orientation. The day that I towed the trailer up there was the second time I have ever towed a travel trailer, the first time was the day i drove it home. In fact my Argosy is only the second travel trailer that I have ever stepped in. The fist one was between the ages of 4 and 5. My wife and I decided on a Monday lets by an Airstream for the summer and on Wednesday we bought it sight unseen. And I love that white peeling pill. I have been working on it everyday that I am home.

The reason I took it to Camping World was to learn about the trailer, which I did, the guy talked me through how to operate the appliances. As well as to find out what was wrong with it, especially the safety issues like the brakes, Axel and bearings. I did not even know if the wheels were going to fall off going to the Camping World.

The reason I posted was because I wanted to know if I had a valid complaint or if it was common knowledge not to expect too much. I am just not confident to what was or was not done and I was very frustrated. There isn't any way for me to verify the propane lines were checked, the furnace was pulled, the hot water heater was cleaned and tested, the water lines tested after the fact besides doing it myself. I took the guys word that the hot water heater was shot, and maybe it was, but I bought a new one on the Internet and tore out the old one. That was when I discovered under the trailer the line was crushed. It never dawned on me to check the line first. So since the old one was torn out I installed the new one.

Camping World has contacted me because of this thread offering to have the manager to contact me and I will call them this afternoon. I will keep you all posted with what they say.

Thank you for all your support.

Nick
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
argosy, camping world